The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share Your A77 Images Here

jonoslack

Hi There
It's nice to have a thread dedicated to a new camera - so here is one for the A77.

I'll get started with my very first shot . . . . more later!

Sony A77 - Sony Zeiss 135 f1.8 at f1.8

jonoslack

HI Jim
We'll wait with baited breath!
Here are some snaps from today - fooling around with familiar subjects.

The first shot is with the SZ 24-70, all the rest are with the 135 f1.8, which is a real jewel on the A77. Exif should be intact:

First of all it's vegetation

jonoslack

. . . and now some wildlife.
I should say straight away, that catching chickens in the rough is really tricky, the CAF worked incredibly well, with much the highest number of keepers I've ever had shooting chicks.

all with the 135 - exif should be there

. . . .. and here's Milo:

. . . . . after a heavy day with Caspar

ecsh

Knowing how chicks are jumping and bobbing around all the time, i would say the AF module is greatly improved to get so many keepers. Looks great. Cant wait for mine.
Joe

dhsimmonds

Hi Jono

These are great Jono, the CZ135 becomes a nice fast medium telephoto and shows off it's IQ really well. The close up flower images images from the CZ24-70 are really sharp with nice shallow DOF. I wonder if anyone will ever bother buying the "A99" replacement for the A900?

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jono,

all these shots are marvelous! I am really looking forward to this camera and availability in Austria!

Especially the 135 seems to be a great combination. Cannot wait to see what the A99 will be able to deliver :cool:

jonoslack

Knowing how chicks are jumping and bobbing around all the time, i would say the AF module is greatly improved to get so many keepers. Looks great. Cant wait for mine.
Joe
Hi Joe
I do so little action photography that it's hard to know how good it is, but it certainly seems good to me.

Now, how about some pole dancers in a dimly lit bar? We need to see the high ISO prowess of the A77 too.
Yeah! A chance would be a good thing (in Diss?!):ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

jonoslack

Jono, Very nice my friend......... it's gonna be a very long month :(

;)
Hi Jim
Maybe it'll come early - we certainly weren't expecting them until October.

Looks fine to me! Although the chickens look a little underexposed.
Hi Jan
They are a bit - intentional though, not the camera. For two reasons:
1. not to blow highlights with the whites
2. gives you a little extra shutter speed.
but perhaps I could have zapped them up a little. At any rate, don't blame the camera!

all the best
Jono

jonoslack

Jono, how do you like the EVF on the A77 ?
Well, I really like it - most of the time one really doesn't think about it, but it does have advantages in that you see the exposure. It's not quite so good in really bright light (but it maybe just learning to do the gain properly). I'd certainly rather have it than the OVF on most APS/c cameras . . but perhaps not over the A900!

Hi Jono

These are great Jono, the CZ135 becomes a nice fast medium telephoto and shoes off it's IQ really well. The close up flower images images from the CZ24-70 are really sharp with nice shallow DOF. I wonder if anyone will ever bother buying the "A99" replacement for the A900?
Well, I think I will. Still, the 135 seems to be a real winner on the A77 - incidentally, only the first flower shot was taken with the CZ24-70.

M

memories

Hi Jono,

the images are looking really promising. I would be interested in a comparison shot of your A900 vs. your A77 with your Zeiss Zoom 24-70/2.8 because of pixel density and DOF.

Just in case you are planning to do these kind of comparison shots anyway, I would be extremely delighted if you then could do the following comparison:

Take with each camera 2 shots. One with the Zeiss Zoom @ 35mm/2.8 and one @ 70mm/2.8. The background to the subject (i.e. flowers or people) you are focusing on should be around 2 meters away, but not more. The wilder the background with colours and shapes, the better.

With this I hope to get e better understanding of the different "artistic appearance" of DOF and background blurring (sorry for my bad English) between the 2 cameras with the Zeiss zoom at these focal ranges and apertures.

Would be interesting to see, whether the higher pixel density of the A77 has influence on the character/appearance/impression of the different background rendering fullframe vs. APS-C sensor.

Thanks

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

the images are looking really promising. I would be interested in a comparison shot of your A900 vs. your A77 with your Zeiss Zoom 24-70/2.8 because of pixel density and DOF.

Just in case you are planning to do these kind of comparison shots anyway, I would be extremely delighted if you then could do the following comparison:

Take with each camera 2 shots. One with the Zeiss Zoom @ 35mm/2.8 and one @ 70mm/2.8. The background to the subject (i.e. flowers or people) you are focusing on should be around 2 meters away, but not more. The wilder the background with colours and shapes, the better.

With this I hope to get e better understanding of the different "artistic appearance" of DOF and background blurring (sorry for my bad English) between the 2 cameras with the Zeiss zoom at these focal ranges and apertures.

Would be interesting to see, whether the higher pixel density of the A77 has influence on the character/appearance/impression of the different background rendering fullframe vs. APS-C sensor.

Thanks
HI There
My problem right now is time (busy busy) - but I had already thought of doing some testing with this lens - as the mid range is fairly good I also thought of doing some comparisons with 35mm on the A77 and 50 on the A900.

I'll do my best, but it will be a day or so I'm afraid!

all the best