The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-7 Impressions

TCSJordan

Hey all,

I had a chance to shoot with a pre-production NEX-7 yesterday. I haven't been a huge fan of the NEX cameras until now, but this is a huge upgrade. The triple control wheels (shutter, aperture, ISO) make perfect sense in a digital camera, and the viewfinder is brilliant. I'm going to pick one up primarily as a digital back for my manual focus glass, but it'll be a great small camcorder, and the Zeiss 24mm F1.8 is a gorgeous optic.

I shot a video with my good friend Chris Niccolls about the shoot, you can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2waPaTwM94

Terry

Thanks for the link.

It looks like they put a lot of thought into the UI on this one. I did like how you can change the display and how they show you what the display will look like. This is getting more and more interesting as people get to use it and you start to hear the feedback.

etrigan63

I have mine on order, but I am getting conflicting reports as to estimated delivery times. Press releases from Sony state November as the target, but my dealer's Sony rep is saying mid-October.

Rawfa

Did you happen to notice if the NEX7 had the same clicking sound issue as the NEX5N during video shoot?

TCSJordan

Did you happen to notice if the NEX7 had the same clicking sound issue as the NEX5N during video shoot?
We didn't notice a click in any audio tracks. However, all of our recordings were in loud locations. I'll have to check when we see a production sample.

gero

you talk about not having too many lens choices yet, to me; the best reason to get this camera is for the 16mm, the fisheye and to fit my M lens collection (cv 12, 15 etc...)

etrigan63

It is a bad habit the camera manufacturers have gotten us into: expecting a comprehensive dedicated set of lenses to match the camera in question. If you think about it, it makes good business sense: get you hooked on the image quality of the body/lens combo then they string you along for years acquiring more glass. This has worked for decades.

Thanks to EVIL cameras (I refuse to call them CSC/ILCs) a quiet revolution has been occurring. An adapter industry has sprung up over the last couple of years and is thriving on that shining beacon of world capitalism, eBay. Even the camera makers have realized this as they are producing adapters to fit their SLR line of lenses onto the EVIL bodies.

Most of the discussions on m4/3, Samsung NX, & Sony NEX fora are about the quality of lenses from other mount systems and their applications on said cameras. In camera features like focus peaking add fuel to the fire, making a camera system more desirable for the lens adaptation crowd.

It would honestly not surprise me if one of the manufacturers eventually came out with an EVIL body that is solely used with legacy glass.

Terry

In the m4/3 world I think the talk about all of the adapted lenses is a less today that it was in the early days. More of the talk now is about the lenses that have been added to the system or are coming this year as well as reworking the zooms to get a few faster ones. But think about what's been natively added since 2008.

Panasonic 7-14, 14-42, 14-42x, 14-45, 14-140, 45-175x, 45-200, 100-300 8, 14, 20, 25, 45 macro
On the radar to be up next 12-35 and 35-100 fast lenses

Olympus 9-18, 14-42, 40-150, 75-300, 12, 17, 45

Voigtlander 25mm

Samyang 7.5mm

a couple of others like the toy lenses.

gero

the larger the sensor and the closer the mount to this sensor, the more versatile. The 4/3 is less attractive for this reason. I would love a 6cm by 6cm camera like this for the M mount lenses to get the hole image circle.

etrigan63

I would love a 6cm by 6cm camera like this for the M mount lenses to get the hole image circle.
That would certainly look interesting to say the least. It would probably have to be a curved sensor or have a really wacky micro lens layer to avoid vignetting.

gero

It would probably have to be a curved sensor or have a really wacky micro lens layer to avoid vignetting.
a curved sensor would be grate, but then we would need ball glass lenses for it (so the focus plane would be flat)

but a 6*6 sensor like the m9 would be good for now.

are cosmos sensor better for angle light?

etrigan63

The M9 has a 36mm x 24mm sensor, not 60mm x 60mm. You wouldn't need ball shaped lenses, either. The retina is curved, but the eye's lens is a simple convex design (granted, it can change shape).

gero

yes, I meant a sensor built in the same way as the M9's but 6*6 in size.

Yes, ball lenses are not needed for a curved focus plane, but they would work (and they are cool, simple, symmetrical...)