Site Sponsors

Thread: NEX-7 Impressions

Post Thanks / Like

NEX-7 Impressions

Hey all,

I had a chance to shoot with a pre-production NEX-7 yesterday. I haven't been a huge fan of the NEX cameras until now, but this is a huge upgrade. The triple control wheels (shutter, aperture, ISO) make perfect sense in a digital camera, and the viewfinder is brilliant. I'm going to pick one up primarily as a digital back for my manual focus glass, but it'll be a great small camcorder, and the Zeiss 24mm F1.8 is a gorgeous optic.

I shot a video with my good friend Chris Niccolls about the shoot, you can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2waPaTwM94

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: NEX-7 Impressions

Thanks for the link.

It looks like they put a lot of thought into the UI on this one. I did like how you can change the display and how they show you what the display will look like. This is getting more and more interesting as people get to use it and you start to hear the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks very interesting to me. I'm not ready to switch but I certainly will be watching it.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, did you get to try to wireless control a Sony flash?

oh, here's an unboxing video
    http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/201...ing-video.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    thanks, did you get to try to wireless control a Sony flash?

oh, here's an unboxing video
    http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/201...ing-video.html
    Unfortunately, we did not have a chance to test wireless flash control. We'll follow up when we get a production model. And don't get me started on unboxing videos...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have mine on order, but I am getting conflicting reports as to estimated delivery times. Press releases from Sony state November as the target, but my dealer's Sony rep is saying mid-October.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

I received an email from Sony USA telling me the shipping date was 11/11/11
    Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    I received an email from Sony USA telling me the shipping date was 11/11/11
    Joe
    And will you have serial number 11111111 ??????

Post Thanks / Like

I can only hope, LOL
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I heard first week of November. Apparently stock is going to be tight initially...

Post Thanks / Like

Did you happen to notice if the NEX7 had the same clicking sound issue as the NEX5N during video shoot?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Did you happen to notice if the NEX7 had the same clicking sound issue as the NEX5N during video shoot?
    We didn't notice a click in any audio tracks. However, all of our recordings were in loud locations. I'll have to check when we see a production sample.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you talk about not having too many lens choices yet, to me; the best reason to get this camera is for the 16mm, the fisheye and to fit my M lens collection (cv 12, 15 etc...)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a bad habit the camera manufacturers have gotten us into: expecting a comprehensive dedicated set of lenses to match the camera in question. If you think about it, it makes good business sense: get you hooked on the image quality of the body/lens combo then they string you along for years acquiring more glass. This has worked for decades.

Thanks to EVIL cameras (I refuse to call them CSC/ILCs) a quiet revolution has been occurring. An adapter industry has sprung up over the last couple of years and is thriving on that shining beacon of world capitalism, eBay. Even the camera makers have realized this as they are producing adapters to fit their SLR line of lenses onto the EVIL bodies.

Most of the discussions on m4/3, Samsung NX, & Sony NEX fora are about the quality of lenses from other mount systems and their applications on said cameras. In camera features like focus peaking add fuel to the fire, making a camera system more desirable for the lens adaptation crowd.

It would honestly not surprise me if one of the manufacturers eventually came out with an EVIL body that is solely used with legacy glass.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the m4/3 world I think the talk about all of the adapted lenses is a less today that it was in the early days. More of the talk now is about the lenses that have been added to the system or are coming this year as well as reworking the zooms to get a few faster ones. But think about what's been natively added since 2008.

Panasonic 7-14, 14-42, 14-42x, 14-45, 14-140, 45-175x, 45-200, 100-300 8, 14, 20, 25, 45 macro
    On the radar to be up next 12-35 and 35-100 fast lenses

Olympus 9-18, 14-42, 40-150, 75-300, 12, 17, 45

Voigtlander 25mm

Samyang 7.5mm

a couple of others like the toy lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the larger the sensor and the closer the mount to this sensor, the more versatile. The 4/3 is less attractive for this reason. I would love a 6cm by 6cm camera like this for the M mount lenses to get the hole image circle.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gero View Post
    I would love a 6cm by 6cm camera like this for the M mount lenses to get the hole image circle.
    That would certainly look interesting to say the least. It would probably have to be a curved sensor or have a really wacky micro lens layer to avoid vignetting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    It would probably have to be a curved sensor or have a really wacky micro lens layer to avoid vignetting.
    a curved sensor would be grate, but then we would need ball glass lenses for it (so the focus plane would be flat)

but a 6*6 sensor like the m9 would be good for now.

are cosmos sensor better for angle light?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The M9 has a 36mm x 24mm sensor, not 60mm x 60mm. You wouldn't need ball shaped lenses, either. The retina is curved, but the eye's lens is a simple convex design (granted, it can change shape).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yes, I meant a sensor built in the same way as the M9's but 6*6 in size.

Yes, ball lenses are not needed for a curved focus plane, but they would work (and they are cool, simple, symmetrical...)

Post Thanks / Like

Great video (actually found that before finding this post). Hope to order mine from TCS - thanks Jordan!

Post Thanks / Like

How loud was the shutter? I haven't been too interested in a NEX until this camera, but a friend with a NEX-5 told me the only thing he didn't like about it was the loud shutter.

stu

I too would be interested in the sound of the shutter. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by toobacat View Post
    How loud was the shutter? I haven't been too interested in a NEX until this camera, but a friend with a NEX-5 told me the only thing he didn't like about it was the loud shutter.
    It should be the same as the 5N, which is considerably better than the 5 due to the electronic first curtain shutter. All you hear now is the sound of the mechanical curtain closing (as opposed to opening AND closing). The sound seems to be dampened some as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got some bad news from my dealer. He just spoke to his Sony rep and the NEX-7 will be shipped in November, but the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 has been pushed back to December. I guess I will just have to be patient...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toobacat View Post
    The shutter is (slightly) quieter than the NEX-3&5. It's still louder than most M4/3 cameras and the X100, but much quieter than a traditional DSLR.

nocavat

nice review, well done!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I just got some bad news from my dealer. He just spoke to his Sony rep and the NEX-7 will be shipped in November, but the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 has been pushed back to December. I guess I will just have to be patient...
    Well Carlos - there are truths in the world, and one of them is that dealers don't seem to know about deliveries! (and reps aren't much better)
    My A77 was due mid october, and it was delivered to my dealer out of the blue at the end of September, without warning (and they are one of the biggest dealers in the country).

I guess it'll arrive when it arrives.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono, I will keep my fingers crossed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos - I always thought it was a November release. I just assumed the October rumors were wishful thinking.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Does the lens adaptor for the Nex-7, include one for Leica "M" lenses?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Does the lens adaptor for the Nex-7, include one for Leica "M" lenses?
    There are lens adapters for M lenses but they are all third party. Nothing made by Sony.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

there are several adaptors available on eBay. I picked up one by Rainbow (I think) for about $20. There are more expensive ones as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the metabones one, seems okay, and it's probably the most recommended.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I have the metabones one, seems okay, and it's probably the most recommended.
    Jono, I think you might change your mind once you receive the hawk's helicoid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    I have mine sitting here on my desk waiting for the 7.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, you may easily be right . . mind you, at the moment I don't have a camera to put an adapter on (5n has gone back to hong kong and the 7 hasn't arrived!)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I have both and ftm I'm actually using the Metabones while the Hawk is lying in a drawer.

The Metabones feels sturdy, zero play. The CV35/1.2 II goes to 0.5m as it is so there is no need for the Hawk adapter with that lens. The Hawk adapter will come in very handy if I fall in love with some old RF lens focusing down to a meter or so only.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My 35 "cron has been sitting in a box, but now perhaps i'll introduce it to the NEX-7...when I get one. I'm very curious about wireless flash sync and shutter lag too.

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to be too negative as I also have a lens extender, the Leica OUFRO, for enabling M lenses to focus closer. Most M lenses, were designed to give optimal image quality within the designed focus range. A lens with a minimum focus distance of .7 meters will continue image degradation shorter than .7 meters with an extension. The only M lens I am aware of that is optimized for closer than infinity is the 90mm M macro. If one is looking for closer focusing with a M mount lens, the extenders like the hawks and OUFRO will work, but if one wanted to retain IQ at close focusing with a EVF/LCD Sony camera then why not look at a SLR macro lens with adapter?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JimBuchanan View Post
    Not trying to be too negative as I also have a lens extender, the Leica OUFRO, for enabling M lenses to focus closer. Most M lenses, were designed to give optimal image quality within the designed focus range. A lens with a minimum focus distance of .7 meters will continue image degradation shorter than .7 meters with an extension. The only M lens I am aware of that is optimized for closer than infinity is the 90mm M macro. If one is looking for closer focusing with a M mount lens, the extenders like the hawks and OUFRO will work, but if one wanted to retain IQ at close focusing with a EVF/LCD Sony camera then why not look at a SLR macro lens with adapter?
    HI Jim
    But it's not about wanting to use the camera for macro, it's about the occasional desire to get a bit closer than the 0.7m limit - I also have an OUFRO, but that's not much use because you then can't focus at infinity and use the lens as an ordinary lens.

The attraction of the helicoid adaptor is that for most of the time you can just use it as a normal adapter, but for those occasional flower shots you don't need to change the lens.

All the best

Just this guy you know