The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some fun with the NEX-5N and 30mm Macro

ustein

Contributing Editor
Any thoughts on the lens?
Too early but has some CA that can be corrected in LR3.5 (no lens profile yet and not sure when).

We have to push Sony a bit that they support the creation of lens profiles.

Last edited:

sinwen

Uwe, as you have both GXR & Nex5n, you know what I am going to ask and that many are waiting for ; take the same shots with the same lens etc... process the same way or better and less work, no process.

And while you are at it :) , give us your opinion on the handling of both, any handicap with the Nex ?

Thanks
Michel

ustein

Contributing Editor
I kind of did with the Elmarit 28mm f/2.8 Colors are are my taste of the day :).

A12-M

5N

For me the difference does not really matter, The NEX-5n is more versatile. Handling goes to the A12-M, EVF to the NEX-5N and having AF lenses to the NEX-5N. So my choice is the 5N as I don't care that much about primes. If I would only use primes the A12-M has something for it.

jonoslack

Love the keyboard especially . . . but I'm not pleased with you . . . my NEX 5n is somewhere between here and hong kong - and I can't get hold of the macro lens.
bah!

m_driscoll

Uwe: Great images. I've got the GXR, but no A12 mount yet. I do agree with you, the 5N seems more versatile with a broader range of native lenses (if you need a good zoom; which I do). Good comparison above. To my eye, the A12 shot looks better. Thanks for sharing.

Jono: My 30mm macro was shipped fron SonyStyle today. SonyStyle seems to have stuff when no one else does. Apparently, according to their order summary, my NEX 7 was available on 10/5/2011?

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

jonoslack

Uwe: Great images. I've got the GXR, but no A12 mount yet. I do agree with you, the 5N seems more versatile with a broader range of native lenses (if you need a good zoom; which I do). Good comparison above. To my eye, the A12 shot looks better. Thanks for sharing.

Jono: My 30mm macro was shipped fron SonyStyle today. SonyStyle seems to have stuff when no one else does. Apparently, according to their order summary, my NEX 7 was available on 10/5/2011?

Cheers, Matt
HI Matt . . . but they haven't sent it to you yet?!
SonyStyle is different in the UK. Still better to use a good dealer as far as I can see. Irritating website as well!
all the best

Michiel Schierbeek

I kind of did with the Elmarit 28mm f/2.8 Colors are are my taste of the day :).

For me the difference does not really matter, The NEX-5n is more versatile. Handling goes to the A12-M, EVF to the NEX-5N and having AF lenses to the NEX-5N. So my choice is the 5N as I don't care that much about primes. If I would only use primes the A12-M has something for it.
Thanks for this comparison, Uwe.
I am waiting also (like so many people:mad:) for th A12 M module.
(And for the NEX7)
It looks like there is a lot more detail in the GXR image.
I can't tell which one has the better colors.
Are they straight out of the camera?

Michiel

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Are they straight out of the camera?

No.

>It looks like there is a lot more detail in the GXR image.

No AA filter helps but there are also more de-bayering artifacts.

ustein

Contributing Editor
There are so many variables: 1. GXRM was shot in 4:3 (lower re) and the NEX-5N maybe not focussed properly. As mentioned before I like the 5N but I am not a prime lens expert :). Looked at the originals:

- GXRX looked good but slightly more noisy (better local contrast)
- NEX-5N softer (AA filter?, OOF ?)

I maybe reshoot the scene from tripod and also use the NEX 30mm Macro (30mm vs. 28mm).

jonoslack

There are so many variables: 1. GXRM was shot in 4:3 (lower re) and the NEX-5N maybe not focussed properly. As mentioned before I like the 5N but I am not a prime lens expert :). Looked at the originals:

- GXRX looked good but slightly more noisy (better local contrast)
- NEX-5N softer (AA filter?, OOF ?)

I maybe reshoot the scene from tripod and also use the NEX 30mm Macro (30mm vs. 28mm).
Well - don't reshoot it for me.
I still stick to my mantra:
If it's interesting - nobody cares if it's technically good
If it isn't interesting - nobody cares at all

Your shots are always interesting Uwe.

As the GXRX compared to the NEX -5n with the same lens- I'm not sure that the difference will be that significant - but the difference between the NEX 5n with an 18-200 and the GXR with it's zoom really is going to be noticeable.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>If it's interesting - nobody cares if it's technically good
If it isn't interesting - nobody cares at all

+1

>NEX 5n with an 18-200 and the GXR with it's zoom really is going to be noticeable.

I will use the NEX mainly with 30mm Macro and 18-200mm

m_driscoll

HI Matt . . . but they haven't sent it to you yet?!
SonyStyle is different in the UK. Still better to use a good dealer as far as I can see. Irritating website as well!
all the best
Jono: It's on my 5N today. I, also, received an email saying my 50mm f/1.8 was on it's way. I'll have it tomorrow. I prefer to use a good dealer when i can; but, SonyStyle seems to have the products? Pretty straightforward website here. Now, I just need to get out and shoot.

BTW: I sent my GXR back to Amazon today (sorry Ashwin). After using the Sony EVF, I can't go back to the one on the Ricoh. IQ differences are negligible to me. Also, good point about the zooms. I've sold all of my Nikon gear to get a lighter kit. The sensor on the GXR for their zooms doesn't cut it.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com