Site Sponsors

Thread: New in-depth review of NEX-7

Post Thanks / Like

New in-depth review of NEX-7

A fellow named Steve Huff put together a pretty nice review.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/1...by-steve-huff/

Plenty of interesting info. Really makes me think about getting one when they become available (even though the 5N does what I want it to do). He made an interesting observation that I've heard from several folks. The 5N sensor in the NEX-7 body would be incredible.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New in-depth review of NEX-7

That review speaks little to the IQ of NEX. Output images from both the nex5n and nex7 to the same size, and you'll see little difference in noise performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    That review speaks little to the IQ of NEX. Output images from both the nex5n and nex7 to the same size, and you'll see little difference in noise performance.
    Maybe you're right. I haven't gotten my hands on the NEX-7 yet to confirm that. The jpeg comparisons I've seen so far seem to give the 5N an edge as Huff implies. But they both have a better jpeg engine than my A-850 so either makes a good low-light alternative for casual indoor photos.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Mr Huff must have been reading along on our discussion. He's got more testing coming up

He says "I will also be doing a side by side high ISO test with the 5n which will show you full size samples from each camera as well as downsized NEX-7 files to match the 5n. Should be fun".

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/1...5n-comparison/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve is great - eternally optimistic and positive. . . . .

Which is pretty easy with modern cameras.

personally I don't think that we've seen what the Sony 24mp APS-c sensor is capable of yet . . . and I have that sensor in my A77.

One thing I'm sure of is that the NEX 5n is better at 100% (I've got one of these too). But I'm not sure that 100% is the right way to compare sensors of different resolution (actually, I'm certain it's the wrong way).

to be honest, I think that Steve's nicely laid back analysis is just as valuable as dpreview's more formal tests . . . (take that as you will )

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

One thing I'm sure of is that the NEX 5n is better at 100% (I've got one of these too). But I'm not sure that 100% is the right way to compare sensors of different resolution (actually, I'm certain it's the wrong way).

to be honest, I think that Steve's nicely laid back analysis is just as valuable as dpreview's more formal tests . . . (take that as you will )
    I am looking forward to his comparisons because he has had a chance to use both cameras for an extended period. I think this will allow him to have a gut feeling about how they compare. All good info and basically only of theoretical interest for me until the NEX-7 is available to the general public, but still very exciting. The only thing that could be more exciting is if Sony announced a mirrorless full-frame. That would be cool.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    The only thing that could be more exciting is if Sony announced a mirrorless full-frame. That would be cool.
    I doubt that they'll do that - because it would need yet another lens mount - and it'd be big as well - or else have a large registration like an SLR - an SLT full frame seems really likely though.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt that they'll do that - because it would need yet another lens mount - and it'd be big as well - or else have a large registration like an SLR - an SLT full frame seems really likely though.

all the best
    Well if it has to be an SLT I hope they have the foresight to include an option to retract the beam splitter when desired to allow unobstructed images when fast AF isn't needed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well if it has to be an SLT I hope they have the foresight to include an option to retract the beam splitter when desired to allow unobstructed images when fast AF isn't needed.
    I hadn't thought of that - they certainly should do it in the A77 as well . . .can't be too hard as the mirror is 'retractable'.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

... to be honest, I think that Steve's nicely laid back analysis is just as valuable as dpreview's more formal tests . . . (take that as you will )
    I figure Steve's reports are from the right brain, dpreview's are from the left brain... I've got both left and right brain so both inputs are valuable

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    I figure Steve's reports are from the right brain, dpreview's are from the left brain... I've got both left and right brain so both inputs are valuable
    Me too . . . and neither is THAT valuable I'm afraid

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible that Sony (always a rotten company when it comes to policies) will cripple the IQ of NEX 7 to protect the A77 which will be a bit of a doorstop by comparison for most users?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bugleone View Post
    Is it possible that Sony (always a rotten company when it comes to policies) will cripple the IQ of NEX 7 to protect the A77 which will be a bit of a doorstop by comparison for most users?
    No - why would they?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bugleone View Post
    I don't think so. I think Sony wants to dominate the mirrorless market so it isn't protecting the A77 with the NEX7

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hadn't thought of that - they certainly should do it in the A77 as well . . .can't be too hard as the mirror is 'retractable'.
    The mirror in the A77 can be moved out of the way for cleaning, but when you do that, the mirror juts out of the lens mount.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    The mirror in the A77 can be moved out of the way for cleaning, but when you do that, the mirror juts out of the lens mount.
    Being smart enough to figure out how to retract the mirror is their job. Buying one when they get smart enough to make it is mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Being smart enough to figure out how to retract the mirror is their job. Buying one when they get smart enough to make it is mine.

+1

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

'Is it possible that Sony (always a rotten company when it comes to policies) will cripple the...'

Not likely, that is more a Canon thing to do, like AF in the 5D series. Sony seem hellbent on doing just the opposite, the tiny and cheap NEXs with big APS-C performance are very well-received, especially the 5N. So lets hope they 'act in character'!

Post Thanks / Like

New 5N v 7 high ISO comparison by Steve Huff

He has both full and resized raw comparisons for both cameras at 100 through 12,800 ISO.

Slight edge for 5N. Not a big difference. But that seems to confirm in my opinion what I've seen before, namely that the jpeg engine for the 5N is the improvement.

Still, very nice low light ability for both cameras.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/1...st-with-crops/

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As I just mentioned on another thread (and Steve mentioned in his own comments under the review,) Steve Huff made the mistake of not keeping the exposures constant between the two cameras, and the NEX-7 is apparently getting less light to the sensor, because it is using faster shutter speeds. Looks like we need a retest.