Site Sponsors

Thread: is it worth to put M glass on Nex vs Kit lens ?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

is it worth to put M glass on Nex vs Kit lens ?

I am surprized how good the kit lens does on the Nex 5n.
    Some quick and unscientific images I shot with the 21/2.8asph and 35 Summarit at same f-stop vs the kit didnt really show me that uch difference (other than more precise AF than my MF).
    I see a reason to use the M-glass for faster f-stop and shallower DOF (which is mainly interesting 35mm and longer) but not much reason for wider lenses.

Do I oversee something or are my observations totally different from yours?
    Maybe the kit does better on the 5n than on previous cameras.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: is it worth to put M glass on Nex vs Kit lens ?

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    I am surprized how good the kit lens does on the Nex 5n.
    Some quick and unscientific images I shot with the 21/2.8asph and 35 Summarit at same f-stop vs the kit didnt really show me that uch difference (other than more precise AF than my MF).
    I see a reason to use the M-glass for faster f-stop and shallower DOF (which is mainly interesting 35mm and longer) but not much reason for wider lenses.

Do I oversee something or are my observations totally different from yours?
    Maybe the kit does better on the 5n than on previous cameras.
    Hi Tom
    I rather like the 35 summarit, because it's faster, and it's fun to use with the helicoid adapter - but I agree, the kit lens is better than it has a reasonable right to be.

How are you getting along with the camera generally?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: is it worth to put M glass on Nex vs Kit lens ?

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Tom
    I rather like the 35 summarit, because it's faster, and it's fun to use with the helicoid adapter - but I agree, the kit lens is better than it has a reasonable right to be.

How are you getting along with the camera generally?
    Hi Jono,
    thanks.
    I like the 5n. I find that for its size it sits in my hands very good.(For some reason slightly more stable than the G3). Specially the grip has a good form factor. I am also positve surprized about the kit lens, and also used the 24/1.4 and 50/1.4 for some low light shots in a circus today-which worked ok - but I dont have the manual focus under control 100%.

I do like the IQ of the Nex 5n , sharp, nice tonality and color - all fine.

The other thing is that I shot a couple of quick comparisons with m4/3 (g3) and the IQ was very much alike (I had expected a clear advantage for Nex which I could not really detect in these few samples).

I am definatly interested in fast AF lenses like the 24 or 50 primes if I stay in this system, but the zoom works really good (if light is ok and if shallow DOF is not needed).

I think I will keep it and use it a lot with the kit lens.

Regards, Tom