The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nex-5n vs Nex7

Rawfa

Other than megapixels and ergonomics is there any different between these 2 cameras? Like af speed, high iso performance, etc...

Terry

Electronic first curtain shutter
Ability to take an EVF
Better with wide angle rangefinder lenses which seems to have improved the performance of the kit lens.

To name a few

C

curious80

Electronic first curtain shutter
Ability to take an EVF
Better with wide angle rangefinder lenses which seems to have improved the performance of the kit lens.

To name a few
Umm OP is asking about NEX-5N versus NEX-7. NEX-7 off course already has an EVF and we I think we don't know yet how they compare in terms of wide-angle rangefinder performance?

douglasf13

As far as I can tell:

NEX-7:
digital level, tri-navi, built-in evf, 5 step exposure comp, LCD tilts up to a fully flat 90 degrees (but evf is slightly in the way.)

NEX-5N:
touchscreen (surprisingly useful for focus magnification and image review,) add on EVF that tilts

The big question right now is whether the NEX-7 will perform as well with rangefinder wides as the 5N. I just got the 5N, and I have a 7 on pre-order, but there's a good chance I may stick with the 5N. My Ciesta leather half-case makes the 5N a nice size to grip (almost identical in size to NEX-7,) and I love touchscreen magnification. I would like the NEX-7's resolution, but not if it means corner issues with M wides.

C

curious80

Sorry for the somewhat off topic question but has there been a conclusion reached about the corner improvements for 16mm pancake on C3 / 5N?

douglasf13

No conclusions, but I've seen evidence of it. I'm going to try to test this soon. In a quickie test yesterday by simply chimping, I noticed both a color and resolution advantage in the 5N corners compared to the 5.

peterb

I don't know if 'on screen' is valid but after seeing a number of images made by both on a number of sites now (and maybe it's just me but) the NEX 5N seems to have a better 'look'. Whether using the E lenses, the new Zeiss 1.8 or the current Zeiss 2.0 (via the adapter), or (if you're fortunate enough to have a few Leitz lenses lying around), whether you're using lenses by Leica et. al. while focusing manually.

There seems to be more contrast, more sharpness, more snap and more 'soul' to the images. (And again, it may just be me here.)

Steve Huff who gushed quite effusively about the ergonomics and overall design of the NEX 7 seemed a somewhat muted when it came to his assessment of the images he got. When he talked about the NEX 5N several weeks earlier, he was quite positive about the images but he felt the camera was just a tad too small for his liking (even though he was wowed by the EVF which the NEX 7 has built-in and the vast improvement in user interface over the previous NEX 5).

The thing is, price wise with an EVF the 16 mp NEX 5N is within spitting distance of the NEX 7. Go figure.

$.02

douglasf13

The drastic falloff of the 5's sensor at the extreme corners is still evident, even when just chimping, and it doesn't seem to exist on the 5N, but I'll have better tests later.

jonoslack

Hi Douglas
Does the NEX7 not have a touch screen? (I also have a lovely 5n and a 7 on order)
I must say - I'm interested to see how the 7 does with rangefinder lenses as well . . . . . but to be honest, wide angle is the domain of the M9 and the A900, and I use the NEX more for mid-telephoto.

douglasf13

Nope, no touchscreen on NEX-7, which is odd.

I pre-ordered a NEX-7 on Aug. 24th, so I'm imaging I'll get one if they ship this year, but I'm getting the feeling that the 5N will be the keeper. Even my ZM 35/2 shows less vignetting and color shift on the 5N when compared to my 5 (although it was never bad on the 5.)

nostatic

Nope, no touchscreen on NEX-7, which is odd.
My hunch is two things. First is cost savings, second is user perception. Touchscreen is still viewed as "consumer" as opposed to "pro". Plus the extra dials somewhat obviate the need for the touchscreen.

jonoslack

My hunch is two things. First is cost savings, second is user perception. Touchscreen is still viewed as "consumer" as opposed to "pro". Plus the extra dials somewhat obviate the need for the touchscreen.
Truth is . . .with the NEX 5n, I established how well implemented the touch screen is . . but I really don't ever use it. It's the focus peaking which is the real winner

Quentin_Bargate

Thing is I use pretty standardised settings. Usually aperture priority, low ISO, raw. I rarely need to make substantial changes - bump up ISO if necessary. I never shoot Jpeg. A touch screen is fun but ultimately unecessary for me.

5n arrived today; battery now charging...Will take a few shots tomorrow between preparing an application for summary judgment and sending out bills...

douglasf13

Man, I think the touchscreen is sweet. Being able to touch anywhere on the screen to magnify focus speeds things up for me considerably, when I'm not using peaking. Plus, being able to check my focus in image review by tapping the area in question is a big time saver.

Rawfa

If you preffer the NEx7 can I have your NEX-5n? :D

As far as I can tell:

NEX-7:
digital level, tri-navi, built-in evf, 5 step exposure comp, LCD tilts up to a fully flat 90 degrees (but evf is slightly in the way.)

NEX-5N:
touchscreen (surprisingly useful for focus magnification and image review,) add on EVF that tilts

The big question right now is whether the NEX-7 will perform as well with rangefinder wides as the 5N. I just got the 5N, and I have a 7 on pre-order, but there's a good chance I may stick with the 5N. My Ciesta leather half-case makes the 5N a nice size to grip (almost identical in size to NEX-7,) and I love touchscreen magnification. I would like the NEX-7's resolution, but not if it means corner issues with M wides.

Terry

Man, I think the touchscreen is sweet. Being able to touch anywhere on the screen to magnify focus speeds things up for me considerably, when I'm not using peaking. Plus, being able to check my focus in image review by tapping the area in question is a big time saver.
So, I was having some trouble in really low light low contrast conditions to actually get anything to "peak" and I switched t the magnified mode. I don't get peaking when magnified.....correct?

douglasf13

If you preffer the NEx7 can I have your NEX-5n? :D
Ha! I wish I could. I figure that, since stock is going to be low for a while due to the unfortunate situation in Thailand, I should get most of my money back on NEX-5n if I sell it after NEX-7 arrives...if NEX-7 arrives.