The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nex-5n vs Nex7

jonoslack

Ha! I wish I could. I figure that, since stock is going to be low for a while due to the unfortunate situation in Thailand, I should get most of my money back on NEX-5n if I sell it after NEX-7 arrives...if NEX-7 arrives.
. . . Actually, I can see a real argument for keeping both - each seems to have it's own advantages.

Still, I guess it's a lottery as to who gets a 7 first. We got 2 of the first A77s (back in September) . . . but not with the company we had pre-ordered with, but with quite another company who had stock for a couple of days.

Jonas

This seem to be the topic of the week, or month perhaps.
I'm very interested in seeing some UWA and WA images from the 5N and the 7, side by side. I also would like to see some longer lenses compared; I have seen border smearing also from some longer lenses, not only from lenses shorter than say 35mm.

As I very seldom use flash I start to wonder if I shouldn't get a 5N and be done with this. Then it may be OK to buy the nex-7 successor when they got everything in order (the Nex-7N?).

Jonas

jonoslack

This seem to be the topic of the week, or month perhaps.
I'm very interested in seeing some UWA and WA images from the 5N and the 7, side by side. I also would like to see some longer lenses compared; I have seen border smearing also from some longer lenses, not only from lenses shorter than say 35mm.

As I very seldom use flash I start to wonder if I shouldn't get a 5N and be done with this. Then it may be OK to buy the nex-7 successor when they got everything in order (the Nex-7N?).

Jonas
Hi Jonas
. . . of course, the grown up answer is to wait, and, after all, the NEX7 isn't much more expensive than the 5n with the viewfinder (and you must have the viewfinder).

On the other hand, it seems that the NEX 5n will be better for low light, so maybe you should just get a 5n now . . and a 7 when it appears?

Agnius

We live in interesting times. I still have NEX-7 on order, but the way it is going 7 might never join my household because of the recent purchase GXR M module. It is amazing how acts of god can affect our futures... ;)

Godfrey

We live in interesting times. I still have NEX-7 on order, but the way it is going 7 might never join my household because of the recent purchase GXR M module. It is amazing how acts of god can affect our futures... ;)
It's the weather god. He was always a pain in the butt.

Jonas

(...)
On the other hand, it seems that the NEX 5n will be better for low light, so maybe you should just get a 5n now . . and a 7 when it appears?
Aber Jono...

When comparing the noise in images from these cameras, when the images are printed the same size, will show little difference. I can wait a little; I rather put the money at another lens, or a new printer, or... than ending up with a plain 5, the 5N and the new 7. Darn. I'm still contemplating the situation and may buy the 5n and the EVF. My thoughts are going in circles.

Jonas

Terry

Aber Jono...

When comparing the noise in images from these cameras, when the images are printed the same size, will show little difference. I can wait a little; I rather put the money at another lens, or a new printer, or... than ending up with a plain 5, the 5N and the new 7. Darn. I'm still contemplating the situation and may buy the 5n and the EVF. My thoughts are going in circles.

Jonas
I was in the same spot. Planned to keep a 5 and a 7. Then when the word started coming out that the 7 would be delayed, I caved sold the 5 (actually two of them) and got a 5N.....but I'm not known to show massive restraint.

kuau

Workshop Member
in regards to wa on the 5n, my experience has been with the cv 15mm, 16mm sony pancake, and a cv 25mm,

my impression so far, I returned my cv 15mm, not sharp enough in the corners, even at F11, I was hoping for better results then the 16mm pancake, but to me sony pancake was better. In regards to the cv 25mm, again I was hoping for a little better in the corners.
I sent it back to cameraquest to see if it could be adjusted, possible de-centering problem.

I really want a good 25mm lens, 35mm equiv. I have the new sony zeiss 24mm on order, though I am a little concerned about the size of the lens.

has anyone tried the zeiss 25mm zm on the 5n?

steven

Paratom

I also have a 5n and 7 on pre-order.

I see it like that:
5n:
+ smaller size/you can take the EVF off- which can be usefull for some occasions where you want the camera to be as small as possible (isnt size the reason to go NEX?)
+ you can swivel the finder
+ sensor/microlenses seem to be optimized to work very well with wide angels from Leica and other, but and more important for me, seems also to make the camera work very well with the kit lens (maybe imprives also the 16mm performance?). I find this very important point. Steve Huffs first test indicates that the Nex7 might not be as good here - but I would really like to wait before making final conclusions
+price (I find the price really ok, specially the set with kit lens and 16mm)
- user interface....but I think I can get used to it, better than I thought
- where do you put the flash if you use the EVF???

7:
+: user interface
+ inegrated EVF
+ 24MP which can be nice if you like printing big
-: eventually more sensible regarding lens performance

I will use the 5n for now, wait and see how the 7 works and then decide

Quentin_Bargate

The touch screen is better than I thought it would be. I loved the 5, looks like I will love the 5n even more. If my back ordered 7 is delayed, fine, Ill let some of you guys do the beta testimg before I jump.:cool:

jonoslack

The touch screen is better than I thought it would be. I loved the 5, looks like I will love the 5n even more. If my back ordered 7 is delayed, fine, Ill let some of you guys do the beta testimg before I jump.:cool:
Hi There
Glad you like it - have you played with the focus peaking?

nostatic

I'm messed a bit with the focus peaking and it is great for my aging eyes. I'm just using the rear display (no EVF) and it is dead simple to focus. That said I'm using the kit lenses, and the implementation of the manual-on-the-fly is a bit inelegant.

My only complaint is that it seems like I accidentally hit buttons or the touchscreen and throw it into other modes by accident. Luckily it usually ends up with a good photo no matter what stupid thing I do :D

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Jono

Yes, very useful. Also been trying it with Manual focus assistance. Works a treat. More over the weekend no doubt.

I don't have the EVF. I don't see the need at the moment. Wife needs a lens for the "old" 5 first :eek:

jonoslack

I'm messed a bit with the focus peaking and it is great for my aging eyes. I'm just using the rear display (no EVF) and it is dead simple to focus. That said I'm using the kit lenses, and the implementation of the manual-on-the-fly is a bit inelegant.
I tried it with a Noctilux at f0.95 . . . perhaps 'dead simple' is a bit of an exaggeration with this lens, but it's perfectly doable - it's fantastic with the 75 'cron, and the 35 summarit makes a lovely little carry about combo (focusing down to about 6" with the helicoid adapter.

I'm not so keen on the manual focus assist - but I simply leave the peaking on. Fab
all the best . .

@Quentin
So - which lens for the boss? Just the kit?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I remember someone recently here claimed that I was 'over-selling' focus peaking as a manual focus aid, but as a pro videographer for many years, I was under-selling, if anything.

I have not used the cameras talked about in this thread, but in a pro video camera, with a high resolution black and white viewfinder (and all were BW only) the peaking can be simply adjusted (three controls: brightness, contrast, and peaking), and the in-focus plane is clearly visible. All pro video cameras until very recently are manual focus, too, so this had to work to get sharp images, and it does. Personally, I am very happy to see its emergence on stills cameras.

jonoslack

I remember someone recently here claimed that I was 'over-selling' focus peaking as a manual focus aid, but as a pro videographer for many years, I was under-selling, if anything.
HI Kit
well - for me it's a total revelation - I was never one for using MF lenses if I had to zoom in to focus - but this is really good - to be honest I think I prefer it to AF with the NEX - it's so easy to see what's in focus and what isn't.

I'm astonished that it hasn't appeared before - but I'm really pleased it's here now. (Maybe it was more difficult to implement on a colour screen?)

douglasf13

It's funny that, after trying to sell Jono on peaking a few months back, now I'm enjoying focus magnification again with the 5N touchscreen. :LOL:

For any type of non-static, moving scenario, focus peaking is outstanding, and I use it much of the time. Now that the touchscreen allows you to press to magnify any part of the screen, I'm using touch magnification for static scenes, since it is more accurate. I hated moving the little box around with magnification on the NEX-5, but I rather enjoy the new method on the 5N.

C

curious80

I wish they could also implement an option of having the DSLR like predefined focus box locations which you can quickly cycle through. Touchscreen definitely simplifies the process of selecting a fox box, but you have to take your eye off the viewfinder (I dont own a 5N yet, this is just based on playing with the camera in store :)). And also unless you are on a tripod, when you are selecting the focus box location with touch screen you are not looking at the actual scene that you are going to capture - so you have to estimate where you need the box to be. Where as on my DSLR, I can easily and quickly select the more relavant focus point while keeping the camera at my eye.

Off course with something like that, you loose the "i can place my focus box anywhere I want", but I will happily take that compromise. It will allow me to select the focus point, magnify the view, set focus and be done very quickly without having to take my eye off.

Paratom

ok, here I come and admt that so far focus peaking did not allways lead to precise focsing in my case and yes-therefore also use the magnification.
So which setting do you choose for it?
thanks, Tom