The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Comparing NEX-5n vs. NEX-5 w/ CV 15mm

douglasf13

Hi, I set up a quick test to check out the corner differences between the NEX-5 and NEX-5N with my new CV 15/4.5. There is unfortunately a small framing difference in these, but exposure was the same (slightly regulated in LR3) with lenses set to infinity at f5.6. Cameras were mounted on my tripod with 2 second release timer and processed in LR3 with import presets. Of course, environmental things like wind could always be a factor, so, like any comparison, take these with a grain of salt, and perform your own tests to be sure. That being said, I do think that it is a pretty accurate portrayal of how the two camera bodies handle in the corners.

NEX-5 CV 15 at f5.6, ISO 200, 1/640

NEX-5N CV 15 at f5.6, ISO 200, 1/640

NEX-5 CV 15 at f5.6 Top Left 100% Crop:

NEX-5N CV 15 at f5.6 Top Left 100% Crop:

Now, here are shots through a tissue at f5.6, similar to how one makes a CornerFix profile, to show color shift difference:

NEX-5 CV 15 at infinity f5.6:

NEX-5N CV 15 at infinity f5.6:

The difference seems pretty striking to me in both color shift and resolution. What do you think?

jonoslack

The difference seems pretty striking to me in both color shift and resolution. What do you think?
Hi Douglas
I'm convinced - although it's slightly abstract as I already have a 5n (and no 5). But it seems to me that generally speaking the 5n is a huge upgrade, both in terms of ergonomics and usability and IQ.

douglasf13

Howdy Jono,

I agree, and I'm getting more and more nervous about the NEX-7. If its corner performance is more on par with the NEX-5, I think it will be a no go for me. The small sample of 7 shots that we do have don't look promising, but I'm hoping that it was just poor setup on the part of the shooter. We'll see.

jonoslack

Hi Douglas
seems like a no-loser to me.
If the NEX7 isn't so good, you save money, and storage . . . if it IS as good, then you get a better camera.

Let's face it, the NEX5n is 'good enough' for most purposes.

. . . wide angle . . . for me . . . I suspect . . . is always going to be a good leica lens on an M something or other.

Bugleone

It's a "big deal" if you're making whacking great prints!!.......On my 17" monitor they don't look much different full frame,.....and the corner shots equate to a print over SIX FEET LONG!!!! So, a clear enough difference and I DO expect to print large with my NEX3,...but, how many people reading this (or any other come to that) are going to be knocking out six foot long prints?.......

..........For practical print making it's probably not much more than an incidental and incremental 'improvement'.

douglasf13

Surely output size does make a difference, but I've viewed these images at various sizes, and I have little doubt that the resolution difference will be noticeable on the standard 13x19 prints that I normally make. Of course, so would the color shift, although that is easier to fix.

Jonas

Hi, I set up a quick test to check out the corner differences (...)
I think your results are well in line with what we have seen earlier. The CV15mm is obviously a problematic lens for our cameras (with the 12mm performing much better with nearly no corner colour problems at all).

After getting the relatively clean corners with the 5N it will not be satisfying with a Nex-7 performing worse. I hope somebody getting the 7 can set up similar tests with a few different lenses including some longer ones as well.

regards,

/Jonas

douglasf13

Alrighty, here are a few more crops from the above photos.

NEX-5 right side:

NEX-5N right side:

NEX-5 center:

NEX-5N center:

douglasf13

Hi Douglas
seems like a no-loser to me.
If the NEX7 isn't so good, you save money, and storage . . . if it IS as good, then you get a better camera.

Let's face it, the NEX5n is 'good enough' for most purposes.

. . . wide angle . . . for me . . . I suspect . . . is always going to be a good leica lens on an M something or other.
I guess so. How wide is wide to you, Jono? I think the 22mm equivalent of the CV 15 on NEX is pretty nice, and certainly focusing would be easier than an external finder, no?

dseelig

I just bought a nex 5n strictly as a lowlight camera for my m lenses I need 3200 and the m9 just does not cut it there. I am curious about the sweep panoramic. I found one used with the 16 and viewfinder and m adapter for 900 hope it works for me. PS I have summiluxes 24 to 75

kuau

Workshop Member
Douglas,
Do you have a Zeiss 25mm ZM? Juat curious how it performs on the 5n
Steven