The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Here you go A77 / Aperture users

Knorp

Apple has released a Digital Camera RAW compatibility update for Aperture 3 and iPhoto '11.
Update 3.9 extends raw support to eleven additional cameras, including the Canon Powershot S100, Olympus PEN E-PL3 and E-PM1, and Sony Alpha NEX-5N, SLT-A65 and SLT-A77.
The update is available for immediate download from Apple's website.

Jim DE

This is getting better and better by the minute........ guess what? Our Apple Store doesn't sell Snow Leopard! You have to buy it online ....... :( What a PIA!!!

Called Apple to verify and sure enough OS upgrades are sold online only.... starting with Lion all updates will be done as a online service. You will order it on line and it will download on your computer.

Sad part is You have to have the latest Snow Leopard to update to Lion and that is available on hard disk only. I now have to wait till 11/18-21/11 before it will be delivered to my house.

Last edited:

Jim DE

Whew what a friggin ordeal... Snow leopard arrived at 10:00 this morning and I immediately started the updating .... It is now 1445 and I am finally loading camera raw update to Lion.

Apple needs to rethink this online OS upgrades. I went from leopard to snow leopard and now Lion and the process will end up taking over 5 hours. Please Apple either speed this process up or make DVD's available if the users would prefer this method. The online upgrade from snow leopard to lion is ridiculous.

Jim DE

I did not see that Carlos ... The way I linked into the store it only showed the online upload version. But honestly I would of clicked online upload anyway being how small the file size actually was. One never would of thought it would of taken over 2 hours to download a file that small. I know better now :( I can't imagine if I still worked rather than being retired going through that sort of time consuming hassle. That would of been a two to three night process while I slept. And, forget it if I actually needed that Desktop for work that day.

My purpose for my post was to vent a bit and let others know to allow plenty of time if they have to go the route I did. By the time I time machined the system to a aux hard drive and backed up my aperture library as well my desktop was steady working from 10 am to 9 pm yesterday.

On a positive note .... I did 3 test raw shots with the a77 and processed them in Aperture and I think after I tweak the settings a bit I am going to be happy with the output. ;)

etrigan63

The Lion file that you initially download is an installer. When you run it, it downloads the rest of the update and then installs it. How long that takes is a function of your Internet speed and the processor speed of your Mac.