The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rural pictures from October with A77 and 5n

jonoslack

Hi There
I finally got around to going through my shots for October - exciting times, having got rid of all Pentax and m43 gear and taken delivery of both the A77 and the NEX5n. Lovely light as well, I think there are a few goodies here:

Snapshots From a Suffolk Autumn

I'm not sure whether they really prove anything - beyond the fact that these cameras are lovely to use, and take fine photos.

Here are a couple of favourites which I haven't posted before:

Follow the green link at the top of the post for lots more.

Enjoy!

Knorp

Hidiho Jono,

another very enjoyable series with some lovely shots and I've got to admit the Sony's are pretty good.
But in particular I like that special character of the 135/1.8, seems to be one heck of a lens IMO.

Still, you managed to slip in two different images, lens/camera-wise, that I noticed at once: 67 & 69 ;) :)

And there was this third exception, so to speak, that made me smile: 20 :D

Thanks for sharing and kind regards.

davemillier

Hi Jono

Nice as always.

Curiously, I'm having a big clearout of some of my collection of 14 (!) DSLRs/mirrorless cameras and streamlining things to a K5 + m4/3....

We seem to be on polar paths!

Now, wonder what a coolpix 950 and a D100 is worth these days...

D

jonoslack

Hidiho Jono,

another very enjoyable series with some lovely shots and I've got to admit the Sony's are pretty good.
But in particular I like that special character of the 135/1.8, seems to be one heck of a lens IMO.

Still, you managed to slip in two different images, lens/camera-wise, that I noticed at once: 67 & 69 ;) :)

And there was this third exception, so to speak, that made me smile: 20 :D

Thanks for sharing and kind regards.
Hah! Busted
I'm afraid that you're much more careful than I am Bart.
I looked at half a dozen and then just assumed the rest followed.
The 135 f1.8 IS a heck of a lens - now, with the 180 f2.8 APO I have two hacks of lenses!
Glad you liked the shots - nothing taxing I'm afraid, I guess I'm just not a 'bleeding edge' kind of a guy!
all the best

jonoslack

HI David
Hi Jono

Nice as always.
Thank you!
Curiously, I'm having a big clearout of some of my collection of 14 (!) DSLRs/mirrorless cameras and streamlining things to a K5 + m4/3....

We seem to be on polar paths!
Well, we certainly do! Still, these days this stuff is all pretty marginal. The K5 is lovely - I really enjoyed everything about it . . . and some of the lenses were lovely as well - but pancake primes really wasn't what I wanted it for; I've already got an M9 for little primes. The Sony/Zeiss lenses are big and lumpy, (but they're my kind of big and lumpy :)

As for m4/3 - again, fine - but I suddenly wondered what on earth I was doing with it when I had all these lenses, and a NEX covered the same territory.

So, my decisions were no kind of criticism of either the K5 or of m4/3, just a sensible rationalisation in so far as I wasn't going to get rid of Sony or Leica!

Good Luck with your firesale :)

I hope the family is well?

all the best

Pelao

Jono,
Really enjoyed strolling through these photographs. One thing that stands out for me is that the colours look so natural.

dhsimmonds

Great shots as usual Jono. The Sony's are a bit special though aren't they!
According to AP you might not need the M9 when you have your mits on the NEX7! :rolleyes:

Pelao

According to AP you might not need the M9 when you have your mits on the NEX7! :rolleyes:
Yes, I read that in the AP review. It's quite a statement. I see what he means though: the Nex 7 does appear to be very capable and well thought-out. If you prefer AF and don"t have the cash for an M9, the Nex 7 might be the next best thing. And of course the peaking feature makes manual focus a breeze. I look forward to meeting one in person.

One thing that annoyed me about the AP review is that he states that the Nex 7 has IBIS like the A-series. A small error, but does make me wonder how much detailed effort goes into some of these reviews.

jonoslack

Jono: Thanks for sharing here and the link to your site. Great photos. I want a hobbit house!

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Hi Matt
if you want a hobbit house you'll have to come and live over here - one of those bigger ones would be about £450,000, but the insurance for the thatched roof is pretty big!

yeah yeah - fatuous remarks and as Pelao says - if they can't even get the image stabilisation bit right . . . .

Anyway, the point about shooting with a rangefinder is . . . . erm . . . shooting with a rangefinder! The fact that the EVF is in the same place, and that focus peaking is great doesn't make it compete. I wonder whether I might not need the A77 though . . . .

thanks to you both for the kind words - tough to get it wrong with such pretty light, but the Sony certainly does make for interesting colour.

all the best