The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Minolta RF Rokkor mirror lenses on NEX-5N

P

Pontus

How do the different Minolta RF Rokkor mirror lenses do on the Sony NEX cameras, especially the NEX-5N?

I don't have a NEX yet as I can't decide which one I want, but it will probably be a NEX-5N.

I have a 250/f5.6 and a 500/f8 and a MD 2x 200-L teleconverter (which is optically the same as the older 2x APO teleconverter and the newer 2x 300-L).

According to this http://wiki.vitorfonseca.com/Default.aspx?Page=MinoltaMD300-x2x&NS=&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1 list, the the tc should work well on the 500/f8 but with some image degradation on the 250/f5.6

What is the consensus on mirror lenses and teleconverters. The high ISO quality of the newer cameras should open up new possibilities. Will diffraction at f16 be a problem?

Finally, do you think that the 250mm plus a 2x tc is a silly idea. The combination is smaller than the 500mm but not by much.

Once I get a camera to try out the lenses on I will be able to draw my own conclusions and post them here.

Michiel Schierbeek

Well all I can say; just try them on your next Nex!
Don't know about RF but do about MF/MD Rokkor lenses.
I like the Rokkor lenses in general but I can tell you that the 250 Mirror Rokkor is an exellent lens on M43.
So it probably performs even better on a Nex.
So small and so much reach. Ideal walk around lens.

MF lenses do work for some time pretty good on other systems as well. :watch:
But I am looking forward to use them on the Nex 7 with faster? focus (peaking).

Kind regards,
Michiel