The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A77 Studio shoot problem

J

Jjcra

My brother brought his A77 over so I could try it in my studio.
I set camera to manual and setup camera to hand held meter readings. I can not see anything thru the view finder. What am I doing wrong?
I ended up putting a F20 flash on the hot shoe and it turned on the viewfinder I covered the flash with tape so it would not contaminate my strobes. WTF I am so confused.

JusLookN

There is a setting you have to turn on/off on the A-77 for studio shooting. Don't recall what is is. (Don't have one, but heard it mentioned on DPreview). Something to do with the viewfinder/lcd. HTH :)

J

Jjcra

Thanks for the help, that was it.
That live view is really a neat function. I can see the pic change without looking at the meter. I do like the A77 but I think I will keep my 850.

petetsai

The camera is most likely in exposure simulation, meaning it is showing a realtime representation of what the exposure might look like, so its showing up black because you are in manual and heavily underexposing for ambient conditions. All cameras with liveview have options to turn this on or off..