The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

eleanorbrown

Thanks Jono! I'm just trying to decide if I really could use this camera or not! Eleanor

Hi There
Well, it's no substitute for an M9 - because the whole rangefinder thing is the real deal (for me at least).
There's lots of ways to criticise the NEX7, but if you set it up and forget, then it works pretty well, the ergonomics are good, and the focus peaking is, as MR says; a revelation. It's fun and rewarding to shoot, and if you have the helicoid adapter, it's odd and interesting shooting a noctilux at 10" and a 28 'cron at 6".
I have a friend, who's definition of good technology is Not Irritating - the NEX7 really does qualify . . . but it isn't a Leica!

jonoslack

Thanks Jono! I'm just trying to decide if I really could use this camera or not! Eleanor
Oh Yes - you can use it - make sure to get the Hawks Factory helicoid M adapter for use with Leica lenses. Then switch on the focus peaking.

As I say, it's no replacement for an M . . . but it might just be a replacement for that backup dSLR . . and it is sweet to shoot with.

eleanorbrown

Why that particular adapter Jono? Eleanor

Oh Yes - you can use it - make sure to get the Hawks Factory helicoid M adapter for use with Leica lenses. Then switch on the focus peaking.

As I say, it's no replacement for an M . . . but it might just be a replacement for that backup dSLR . . and it is sweet to shoot with.

Michiel Schierbeek

This is our friends son, at her reception, in a very dark restaurant.
Shot wide open at 1600 ISO. I am going to love these Zeiss lenses!

Michiel

Last edited:

mbroomfield

Why that particular adapter Jono? Eleanor
Eleanor, the Hawks adapter is made with a short helicoid in the adapter so that lenses can focus closer. I'm using them with some LTM lenses (with an M adapter in between) and even a Leica R 21-35 (again with an M adapter).

There are a couple of threads about the Hawks here.

Mike

etrigan63

Had a little walkabout today with my son (11) so he could complete his photography homework.

Classic Punchbug by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

NEX-7 Dynamic Range Test by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

First shot with Zeiss 24mm, second with the Sony 16mm. I titled the second one "Dynamic Range Test" because (I think) it shows how well the NEX-7 holds up under these conditions. The sun is directly behind the upper right corner of the building, yet the building is not lost in shadow.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I really prefer a Sailor "King of Pen" but the Montblanc is a nice every-day tool.
-bob
Dupont -> Pelikan -> Nakimi

My preference is based on my own use ... not valid for anyone else.

Dupont Ink however has been unsurpassed.

Bob

V

Vivek

The sun is directly behind the upper right corner of the building, yet the building is not lost in shadow.

It looks like a glass building, quite possibly surrounded by other buildings (ie. behind the camera).

jonoslack

Here are three shots taken with the 28 'cron (yes, really) with the helicoid adapter. None of them has been cropped at all - lovely bokeh as well!
I think they are all at f2, but of course, it's not in the exif and I'm not 100% certain

Pretty sharp as well!

jonoslack

I really prefer a Sailor "King of Pen" but the Montblanc is a nice every-day tool.
-bob
HI Bob
I've no idea what a Sailor "King of Pen" is - and to be honest, I don't write a great deal these days, but I do like my old Montblanc

all the best

eleanorbrown

Amazing close up work Jono!! You sure this is not a substitute for the Leica!;-) you are sending some really awesome images taken with the nex7. keep 'em coming! Wonder when this camera will be available in the US?

eleanor
Here are three shots taken with the 28 'cron (yes, really) with the helicoid adapter. None of them has been cropped at all - lovely bokeh as well!
I think they are all at f2, but of course, it's not in the exif and I'm not 100% certain

Terry

I love the drain stopper and drain. There is just enough detail at the bottom to make it a really cool shot. Well done.

jonoslack

Terry, Eleanor; thanks.
It's no substitute for the M9, 'cos it doesn't have an optical rangefinder with a fixed view of the world. And there's that special zing of a leica lens on a full frame sensor without an AA filter.
Sure is good fun though!