The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

V

Vivek

Vivek
This subject brings out the best in your snaps :)

Keith
Keith, Thank you.

I was torn between the ancient Biotar 75/1.5 or the newer Fujinon-TV 75/1.8 (a Biotar clone)- chose the later.

NEX-7, Fujinon-TV 75/1.8

V

Vivek

Mikal, It is a c-mount lens made for CCTV use. My sample is not the latest iteration but one before.

Is it a good lens for NEX? I can't tell. I only have the NEX-7.

If you want sharp pictures with very high clarity, the E 50/1.8 can't be beat. If you can deal with spending time to make a correct lens profile (to get the proper WB), can put up with flare (the 75/1.8 is single coated and needs a proper hood), rather odd shaped diaphram and like very smooth bokeh, then the 75/1.8 is a good lens. It is tiny and is just as long as (about 1cm longer)the E primes that are made with glass elements. Most likely, this lens will see more action on my future Fuji X Pro 1 than the NEX-7. :) Hope this helps.

MikalWGrass

Vivek, yes it helps. Thank you. Still deciding between the 5n and the 7. I already have an M 50/1.4 pre ASPH lux so I think I am ok on the 50mm end.

scho

A few taken today with the NEX7 and Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon. Processed in C1. Last is a stitch of two images and converted to B&W in SE2Pro.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Carl - looks like C1 takes care of the Nex 7/Biogon problem really well! How do you integrate your workflow using C1 with LR4 - is your library in LR4?

Keith

scho

Carl - looks like C1 takes care of the Nex 7/Biogon problem really well! How do you integrate your workflow using C1 with LR4 - is your library in LR4?

Keith
Keith,

I keep my library in LR4, including original raws and exports from C1. I really like shooting with the little 28 biogon and C1 cleans up the magenta cast nicely. Corner and edge distortion is not a big issue on the NEX7 and even less so on the 5N with the biogon. I'm looking forward to working with the Contax G lenses on the Fuji XP1 and perhaps even the Ricoh GXR-M with a converted lens.

V

Vivek

Carl, Thanks for the images and the processing routine details. I will have to try that.

I found the tiny 2.5cm f/4 W-Nikkor-C and the ex Soviet Orion-15 28/6, both LTM lenses, have good corner sharpness wide open. Both are Topogon clones (as symmetrical as a lens can get other than a singlet). Time to press them to service, now that I found a good LTM adapter. :)

Last edited:

scho

Carl, Thanks for the images and the processing routine details. I will have to try that.

I found the tiny 2.5cm f/4 W-Nikkor-C and the ex Soviet Orion-15 28/6, both LTM lenses, have good corner sharpness wide open. Both are Topgon clones (as symmetrical as a lens can get other than a singlet). Time to press them to service, now I found a good LTM adapter. :)
Thanks Vivek. Which LTM adapter do you have?

philber

A few taken today with the NEX7 and Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon. Processed in C1. Last is a stitch of two images and converted to B&W in SE2Pro.
Scho, I tried my Biogon 28 on my NEX 7, and got colour shift. Do you clean up your shots (excellent, BTW!) in Cornerfix?

scho

Scho, I tried my Biogon 28 on my NEX 7, and got colour shift. Do you clean up your shots (excellent, BTW!) in Cornerfix?
I used a LCC profile generated in C1 to remove the color shift. Similar process to CornerFix, but does not require dng file format conversion.

douglasf13

A muscle wood log washed up on the creek bank. NEX7 with Contax G 45mm f/2 Planar. Shot at f/8 in shutter priority mode. I was having problems with camera movement at the default 1/60 sec using aperture priority mode and AUTO ISO and do wish Sony would implement user enabled min shutter speed for AUTO ISO.

You might consider using S mode with autoiso, so you can set the shutter yourself. Works great with manual lenses.

scho

You might consider using S mode with autoiso, so you can set the shutter yourself. Works great with manual lenses.
Thank Douglas. That is the way I've been shooting in situations where I know that AUTO-ISO with A mode will fail (ie. default to 1/60 sec). Sony should update firmware to allow setting a minimum acceptable shutter speed when using AUTO-ISO.