The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

Godfrey

:thumbup:

Well said! :)

I also do not understand the concept of EVF or flash. The GXR also appears to be stricken by this grave handicap, however good it might be with the offset lenses and all that.
GXR solution:
- pop up flash with IR filter on it, set to manual output 1/16 power
- External flashes with slave triggers.

Works fine w EVF.

--- addendum ---
The way I work with flash in a group setting is to take off the EVF, put either A12 28 or A12-M with 21 Skopar on the camera, fit a remote RF trigger, put flash on a stand and aim it to illuminate the room via bounce, and shoot away at f/8. Makes things very simple. :)

Last edited:

m_driscoll

A mixed set of shots from today.

Nex 7; Leica 24mm F/1.4; 1/1250s; ISO 100

Nex 7; Leica 50mm F/1.4; 1/50s; -1 EV; ISO 1600

Nex 7; Leica 50mm F/1.4; 1/2500s; ISO 100

Nex 7; Leica 24mm F/1.4; 1/60s; +2/3 EV; ISO 500

Happy Holidays, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

MoJo

Registred Users
m driscoll: that photo of the wires is absolutely stunning! and that is an understatement, i might add. well done!

philber

Regarding the question of which ZM is symmetrical (i.e. very probably problem-prone) on NEX and which is not, Dr Nasse's paper on the Zeiss blog on wide angle design answers that. The Biogon's are symmetrical, the Distagons are not. Which explains why ZM 18 works fine on my 5N, whereas the ZM 25 I tried did not, let alone a ZM 21. This does not mean that ZM 18, for example, is a "pure" Distagon (meaning a true retrofocus design), because it is not, but, according to Zeiss, "enough that it should be called Distagon and not Biogon". The article also mentions that CV wides are symmetrical, but does not mention Leica, which suggests that they are not. My trials with Leica show that they are less problematic than symmetricals with my NEX 5, and trouble free, at least down to the 24 Elmar, on my 5N. I now pray that my ZM 18 and Elmar 24 are also trouble free on the more challenging NEX 7. And BTW, I checked with the most problematic lens of all IMHO, the otherwise phenomenal Contax G 21mm: when you get colour shift on a NEX, you also get massive smearing. Cure the shift in Cornerfix, and you can see the smeaaaaring. OOOps, did I just smear that word?

ashwinrao1

I had that lens essentially brand new up for sale here for ages. Finally sold it about 2 months ago.
Yup, and I bought it and love it on the GXR, Terry ;)...thanks for that. I am glad I saw this rare jem and got it again for my kit. I had it 2-3 years back, before the upgrade cycle, and realize now that I could well have stayed put....actually considering putting my 28 'cron on the block, but that's a fantastic lens in its own right....

m_driscoll

Walking through Amazon Land and dinner at Cuoco. Last photo taken by Ashwin.

Nex 7; Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8; 1/40s @ f/2.5; +2-1/3 EV; ISO 1600

Nex 7; Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8; 1/130s @ f/2.5; +2-1/3 EV; ISO 1600

Nex 7; Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8; 1/60s @ f/2.5; +2-1/3 EV; ISO 1250

Nex 7; Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8; 1/13s @ f/1.8; +2/3 EV; ISO 800

Happy Holidays, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

etrigan63

After having spent all of Christmas computer free due to the migration of data from old G5 iMac to her brand new Mac Mini, Mel burns the midnight oil to make up for lost time

Mel on Computer Withdrawl by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

NEX-7 + Zuiko OM 135mm f/2.8 @ f/5.6, -2 EV, ISO 6400
RAW converted in LR 3.6

Jim DE

Those all are some really fantastic images..... looks like the 7 with legacy glass is a real winner!!!!! IQ is excellent. Congratulations to all who have gotten one of these camera's so far.

etrigan63

The NEX-7 is a different beast from any camera I've ever used. It has some aspects of a medium format digital (file size, noise characteristics, file malleability), a DSLR (sensor size, interchangeable lenses), and compact cameras (body size and handling). The EVF adds a whole new dimension of usability, allowing features like exposure compensation to be used with great ease. It makes for a different shooting experience.

durrIII

Hey Carlos. Can't wait for mine to come in.........

Durr

Ready for another print swap? Maybe after the first of the year!