Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with NEX-7

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with NEX-7

Jono, Vivek, Quentin, Hosermage, and Terry?

Couple of thoughts...freeform here after a long day cleaning bathrooms...do not ask!

Jono -

I remember the WB thread concerning the A850 with Douglas...yes you have it right - really does work if you pay attention to light color and intent. Love your yellow man...would love to spend mornings in your kitchen's light...sidling up to an AGA. Ha! now you know my biases.

The NEX cameras did not inherit the wonderful skin tones nor color palate of the A850/900s...I would love to drop that chip and workflow into a NEX 7.

Magenta and Red is a common problem with adapted lenses from Leica and VC...not so much with Zeiss ZF2's ... and Terry is dead on...the LR 4 local adjustments are very helpful. Otherwise a Color Balance Layer in PS with mask to paint over areas that are way off.

Hosermage...WB has nothing to do with the magenta areas from trees and sky...overblown areas tend to go magenta and if you are not into HDR (personally I detest it!) you need to use a mask to tone down those areas or try the adjustments in LR/PS. The 5N does fabulously with wide angle lenses whereas the NEX 7 has HUGE problems with lens color cast on Leica and VC lenses...here the local gradient in LR or Capture Raw will help...Corner Fix seems to miss a bit of the cast ... compared to C1 or Phocus corrections.

Terry -

I cannot find words to express how good LR4 is - even in Beta. I have moved 6000 files over to LR4 and hope that the final will be an easy transition...if not I have already seen enough difference to make it a priority. Still moving to PS for final edits but what a nice program.

Seems like there is an edge to every interchange recently...maybe my week in Southern California made me a bit more sensitive to things but guys...this is a very congenial site...lets give each other some slack...I know for a fact that NO ONE IS OUT TO EAT YOUR LUNCH. Just saying.....

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi there
    Vivek. Sorry to offend your intellect/sensibilities. No further discussion required.

Others, I'll stop being flippant and try to be clear. I think it was RobMac who suggested this to me, but I'm not certain. Anyway, enough to say that it isn't my original theory, but I'm very grateful to whoever it was.

Roberto, thanks for the information on the Olympus, which had an incident WB sensor, I think you can get external ones as well, which take the temperature if the incident light.

Please forget about cameras here. I'm not trying to do a defence of any camera.

Of course, there are lots of situations (especially in the studio) where you want your white balance to be a reflection of the incident light with respect to a grey card (or whatever). Ie a situation where you have controlled lighting and you want accurate colour. (sorry, this is obvious).

Let's think about a sunny day. It was suggested to me that I try this, and I did. You can take an incident reading of the white balance. Then you might try taking a reading in the shadow. Then you might take one in the direct sunlight. They will be totally different (of course). On an overcast day the different readings will be closer (but still very different). Next time it's sunny just try walking about with AWB turned on then look at the varying WB results. The poor camera is doing its best, but it'll change radically depending on the proportion of shade/sunlight.

So, of course, you can take Quentin's approach and use AWB to give you an approximation of the final image. The problem with that approach is that you will have a different WB for every shot-even if the light doesn't change, so you end up with a hotch pitch of different results which need individual attention.

But as Roberto says. We aren't as good as mother nature, and nor is the camera! Generally speaking I want the light in my photos to reflect the light that I saw. I don't want it corrected to grey.

Okay. On the understanding that I'm absolutely not talking about controlled or artificial lighting. The suggestion is that. . . . . .

If you are shooting outside then set the camera to sunny

. That means that your reference is midday on a sunny day. At dawn it will look pinker, at sunset yellower, and on overcast days it'll be bluer. But the point is that you have one fixed point of reference. If you want your cloudy day shots warmer, that's fine, warm them up.

The spin off is that you really learn the colour response of the sensor in different lighting conditions. It's like getting to know a particular film stock really well, understanding both it, and the lighting when you took the shot.

If you continually use AWB the camera has made decisions about the lighting for each shot. When you come to look at it 2 (minutes,hours,days,weeks) later you won't have perfect recall of the lighting. By sticking to one white balance you get to understand what's going on. Added to which it makes it much easier to do batch changes to the white balance.

Sorry if I've exchanged flippant for boring, but when this was suggested to me it struck me as a bolt out of the blue. (or was that the slightly magenta cyan)

All the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good post Bob. Although I haven't found it in me to love LR4
    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post

Seems like there is an edge to every interchange recently...maybe my week in Southern California made me a bit more sensitive to things but guys...this is a very congenial site...lets give each other some slack...I know for a fact that NO ONE IS OUT TO EAT YOUR LUNCH. Just saying.....

Bob
    Which bits of me were you thinking of handing around?

Just this guy you know

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Good post Bob. Although I haven't found it in me to love LR4

Which bits of me were you thinking of handing around?
    Maybe the dogs, tractor and wine cellar?

No in reality Jono I feel you were .... unfairly called to task for a fairly balanced and reasonable series of comments. No one likes to walk through a virtual minefield but that seems to be the recent balance of discussion.

Your are an Aperture advocate...and you make it seem to be a viable option.
    Just that I have so much invested in Master Suite 5.5 that I could never humble myself to admit it is better...sweeter...prettier...smooooother. Must be a religion thing....Garrison Keillor always said we Lutherans were never comfortable in paradise!

Looking forward to meeting at some point in Cornwall....

Regards,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi there

So, of course, you can take Quentin's approach and use AWB to give you an approximation of the final image. The problem with that approach is that you will have a different WB for every shot-even if the light doesn't change, so you end up with a hotch pitch of different results which need individual attention.

All the best
    Not true at all, Jono. You can apply the same colour balance that looks best accross any number of raw images in whatever processor you use (I mainly use Camera Raw, or Phocus for the Hassy). Those random changes in AWB might give you ideas later....

For me, its the end result that matters; like changing filtration in the enlarger, you change digital filtration in post processing - only you have more control because you are not limited by the choices you made when you selected film and whatever filter you used with the film.

Having said that, I have shot as you do from time to time Jono and I can see the advantages in some situations, and if one is shooting raw, it matters little because you have the choice to change later. It is a different story if you shoot jpeg. Then Jono's workflow makes a lot of sense.

Such is the extraordinary flexibility we are afforded nowadays with digital cameras. We are spoilt for choice

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the biggest problem came from Nikon and it wasn't just the color temp that was moving all over the place but the tint and it was really hard to correct the shots in in batches.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few from the Carmel Mission late this afternoon

terry
    www.terrybanet.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. The NEX-7 is a keeper. Which lenses?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Very nice. The NEX-7 is a keeper. Which lenses?
    Thanks, yes I'm happy to get back to my A900 resolution in a teeny size. All with 18-200.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry. Those are fantastic. Really nice atmosphere and (might I say) excellent colour!
    All the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Wasnt it so easy when we just put a daylight film in the camera and shot?
    Yes, I know in theory one would have to use filters for color neutralty, but if you didnt many films would be able to reflect the actual situation.
    What I mean I found under many circumstances film delivers an astonishing balaced color even in mixed light situations. (sun/shaddow/cloudy).

Personally I use presets quite a bit when shooting, but find it doesnt really matter because I can adjust later.
    Still I try to preset because having the right WB when shooting helps when judging the exposre and the histogramm

What I like to have is at least one image in a light situation which includes some white that I have kind of a reference.
    In regards to AWB I find it hard to say, because WB is a matter of taste.
    Who wants to shoot an image under candle light and have the colors totally neutral?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    A few from the Carmel Mission late this afternoon
    I really like those. Did you use a tripod or were they handheld?
    Impressive sharpness for such a zoomlens IMO.

So you now use the V1 and the Nex and m4/3 as small camera?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    No one likes to walk through a virtual minefield but that seems to be the recent balance of discussion.
    That sums it up although in the wrong direction. When the next new firmware update comes from Sony for the NEX-7 watch out for "improved" white balancing.

The WB problem, what works for an M8 and the like won't work for the others. It is not just the exposure but the whole demosaicing that goes on affects the color make up. However, when there isn't a proper understanding of what a daylight setting entails and how it would differ from overcast lighting conditions such discussions look unreasonable and frankly moot. Have fun folks.

I think the biggest problem came from Nikon and it wasn't just the color temp that was moving all over the place but the tint and it was really hard to correct the shots in in batches.
    Yup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice work Terry, the first one especially. Very atmospheric.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let me first say, Jono, I don’t feel offended.

But this discussion got a little hyped up through the night I see, and people are trying to choose sides and who is right and who’s not. Can be soggy and not very intersting.

Usually I never dive into this kind of discussions because I never find them very fruitful in the sense of interesting photography, but since Jono dragged me into this with my greens,I feel I have to react.
    And we might learn something here.

It is a good tip to work very consiously with WB settings with this camera if you want to stay close to reality. Although I agree with Quentin here; everything is reversable in PP. That is why I try to do PP as soon as possible after shooting for best rememberence.

I also think that Vivek is probably right about working with legacy lenses, regarding WB with the NEX-7, is not very easy, although I can’t compare because I don’t have any Sony lenses yet. ( the only lens I am tempted to is th 18-200 for versatility)

I never needed to be so consious about WB settings in dayly circumstances with my Panasonics and my Ricoh. So to me it is a fact that this camera’s White Balance metering is not top notch. But there are a lot of other things to like for example; high ISO compared to Panasonic is a revalation for me. But that is not the issue here.

As I said for the rest it is all a matter of taste and preferences. And these are important to me because that’s where creativity is playing the game. I am interested in the intrepetation of the individual and that is never exact. That’s why I don’t bother so much if the colours are exactly right compared to reality because in the final stage you are working on a product. And in that stage I don' t want to be hindered by purist standards I have to fill in.
    Without any problems I was cloning out some lensflare out of that last picture in my post. I don’t even think about it. These tricks has been applyd since men for the first time walked into the darkroom.

I don’t want to be a purist, to dogmatic for me. I could say Jono uses to much garlic lately in his pictures. And me I do go to the harbour to much lately. But so what?

If we look at the following picture – the first example which popped up to my mind – of Ed van der Elsken, shot in 1959 in Durban South Africa.
    (Could not find a larger example on the net)

Probably cropped and completely manipulated under the enlarger with his hands and other objects in the finishing. The walking men’s head; completely impossible. For a lot of photographers, also on this forum, this would be compleet blasphemy. But does it work? Yes it does for me because I can still remember this picture since I was about 12 years old.

I like technics and the latest and the greatest but it is all subordinate to the results to me.

Kind regards,
    Michiel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Michiel, Vivek, Quentin (and anyone else who contributed).
    Peace is a good thing, and I'm sorry for my part in disturbing the equilibrium!
    The argument could go on - but I think probably it's reached it's useful conclusion, so I'd like to make two points:

1. I didn't mean to offend anyone in any way
    2. if I was incompetent enough to do it by mistake then please accept my apologies.

I think there are many valid ways to deal with WB - I'm not critical about it with the NEX7, because, like Quentin, I'm not relying on it to get it right!

Michiel - I'll try to go a little more lightly on the garlic!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No problem, Jono.
    ( For a moment I thought I am going to be ignored here, so much silence )

I just wanted to point out how I like to deal with photography and that also has to do with my colourhandling.
    I know a lot about the character of different old lenses and a little about post processing but for the rest I try to stay out of the very technical camera discussions because my knowledge is limited.
    And that is why I like to hang around here; to learn.

And a little teasing doesn't hurt.

BTW Garlic seems to be very healthy for your blood but don't start kissing all the ladys at a reception afterwards.

Kind regards, Michiel

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A little girl attacking my Nex7

by the way thats her expression when trying to reach for the S2

So what can I conclude from her reaction?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thomas,
    Second shot is awesome.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thomas,
    Second shot is awesome.

+1 Wonderful

Michiel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple with the 30 macro. These mushrooms were very interesting they left a brown powder all around where they were growing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    A little girl attacking my Nex7
    Wonderful portraits, your daughter has beautiful eyes!

by the way thats her expression when trying to reach for the S2
    She has good taste

So what can I conclude from her reaction?
    If she looks at the NEX 7 with the same expression, I guess that tells a lot about how she values a good camera when she sees one.
    Just for fun, when you get the chance to shoot both camera's side by side, please post a few shots. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the differences in handling and look and feel of the image files. I got to know you're shooting stile a little bit from the S2 thread.
    NEX and S would be my dream camera combination

Post Thanks / Like

Thomas, what lens for the second shot? Brilliant capture.

And Terry, that brown stuff is their seeds (spores); millions of them!

Re. WB: the worst camera for this in my experience was a D2h I using for a wedding: standing under trees, shooting doco. style into the clearing where all the action was happening... imagine the colours: the camera seeing green made getting the skin tones right very very difficult.

But that's long ago now. Like Jono, I use Daylight outside for all paying work (John Deere and others) and these are customers who only ever took the Raw files at the end of a job (just like the client taking the Kodachromes at the end of an advertising shoot). They want the images to look 'good' without processing, so even though Raw, they make their choices on what they see SOOC. I always took a calibrated MacBook Pro on location for this. Often, specific colours need to be reproduce perfectly (like John Deere's green). And like Jono suggests, using the Daylight setting outside lets you see how the colour temp. changes between the images (we did a lot of dawn and dusk work) and the customers want to see that colour in the images. The use of AWB will neutralise these colour changes and the scenes will look closer to the same 'averaged' colours as a result.

The last art director I worked with convinced me that some of the most interesting light is experienced after the sun goes down, too.

In the studio, AWB and the MacBeth checker, or Tungsten, if using colour-temp controlled lights.

Just my 2¢'s worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Thomas: looked at the EXIF: nice rig, and the bokeh and focus falloff... lovely.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+83 to you second shot Tom - excellent
    and to yours Terry with the mushrooms.
    As Kit says - they're spores (not really seeds) - just ask your friendly local mycologist (that's me folks!).
    Glad to hear you use the same principle Kit - anything is possible then!

Quentin - each to his own on the WB trip - although fixing it on Daylight using jpg doesn't sound too much like a good idea (but then, who shoots jpg?).

Michiel - garlic is the answer to life, especially when put into a pan with olive oil, and when you have a glass of good red wine in your hand

all the best
    Last edited by jonoslack; 16th January 2012 at 05:25.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit, the NEX-7 will let you travel back to the D2H days and more. You should try it.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

t_streng, Fabulous!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post

I like technics and the latest and the greatest but it is all subordinate to the results to me.

Kind regards,
    Michiel

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Thomas: looked at the EXIF: nice rig, and the bokeh and focus falloff... lovely.
    yes, I think it was the 70mm on the S2. Its a lovely lens, nice bokeh and focuses pretty close.
    Sorry for posting non-Sony image here but the 2 images (1 from Nex 1 from Leica) were just shot from the same perspective and same situation just some days later.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    ...Just for fun, when you get the chance to shoot both camera's side by side, please post a few shots. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the differences in handling and look and feel of the image files. I got to know you're shooting stile a little bit from the S2 thread.
    NEX and S would be my dream camera combination
    I can do that if I find the time.

I can not really judge the Nex7 IQ yet because my experience is very limited so far. During my winter vacation I shot the S2 and a Nex5n.
    The 5n does really fine - but whenever I use the S2 I get rewarded. It is a combination of the bokeh, tonality and color which I really like. Even at screen size I can usually detect which images come from the S2. Smooth, rich and "filmlike".

The combination of a large SLR like the S2 and a small mirrorless like the Nex makes sense IMO and goes very good together. The Nex being used when the camera should be small, or for use from different perspective (with the swivel display) or for video. Still I think I often use the S2 when others might use a lighter camera and nearly never regret it.

If you are interested in one experience I made with this combo read here: http://www.reddotforum.com/showthrea...-S2-with-me...
    So yes, A weatherproof version of the Nex wouldnt hurt and thats maybe my one fear - how solid is the Nex7 regarding "abuse", weather and vibration.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A couple with the 30 macro. These mushrooms were very interesting they left a brown powder all around where they were growing.

like the seond one- very smooth. How do you like the 30mm so far?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So far so good. I like macro lenses just so that I can get up close to something. I haven't done any uber critical testing of the edges as it doesn't usually matter as much to me in how I use it.

In the first shot I was trying to get close and still have enough in focus which can be a challenge.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Morning delivery boys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+83 to you second shot Tom - excellent
    and to yours Terry with the mushrooms.
    As Kit says - they're spores (not really seeds) - just ask your friendly local mycologist (that's me folks!).
    Glad to hear you use the same principle Kit - anything is possible then!

Quentin - each to his own on the WB trip - although fixing it on Daylight using jpg doesn't sound too much like a good idea (but then, who shoots jpg?).

Michiel - garlic is the answer to life, especially when put into a pan with olive oil, and when you have a glass of good red wine in your hand

all the best
    Just ate a great organic Pizza in fashionable Shoreditch. I took a few shots and will post a couple late. Garlic...red wine...herbs....etc. Nice!
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Busy this weekend keeping a New Year's Resolution and cleaned out my office. Almost done with just a couple of boxes and piles of paper to review/shred. Only managed one decent shot this weekend and i decided to try a little HDR Efex Pro on the NEX-7 files. Here is the result:

While My Guitar Gently Sleeps by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos, Is the light painting done with a light or through a software?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have few from freezing conditions (it is freezing).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Carlos, Is the light painting done with a light or through a software?
    Mag-lite LED flashlight (torch for my British compadres).
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

I can do that if I find the time.

I can not really judge the Nex7 IQ yet because my experience is very limited so far. During my winter vacation I shot the S2 and a Nex5n.
    The 5n does really fine - but whenever I use the S2 I get rewarded. It is a combination of the bokeh, tonality and color which I really like. Even at screen size I can usually detect which images come from the S2. Smooth, rich and "filmlike".

The combination of a large SLR like the S2 and a small mirrorless like the Nex makes sense IMO and goes very good together. The Nex being used when the camera should be small, or for use from different perspective (with the swivel display) or for video. Still I think I often use the S2 when others might use a lighter camera and nearly never regret it.

If you are interested in one experience I made with this combo read here: http://www.reddotforum.com/showthrea...-S2-with-me...
    So yes, A weatherproof version of the Nex wouldnt hurt and thats maybe my one fear - how solid is the Nex7 regarding "abuse", weather and vibration.
    Thanks very much Thomas.

I understand now, the second image was taken with the S2. Didn't expect that in this thread, should have used my eyes
    Anyway, I like both images. They each have a roll to play in the collective visual memory of your family, well done.

As for the NEX 7 versus the S2, I too think that though very different, both camera systems have their place and can both be useful. Weather sealing on the NEX would be high on my wish list too. I think now with the A77 Sony proved that they can do it. Let's hope they put it in a future NEX. Some would say this isn't going to happen since the NEX line is 'only' enthusiast level, but I disagree. It can be used for professional photography. It's not a D4 or 1D-X with ultra high ISO and super fast AF, but it can deliver a technically fine image file. In that sense the NEX is more related to the S2 than high end CaNikons. It kind of needs a more deliberate approach.

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, love your pictures of Den Haag, I grew up there. Vruchtenbuurt?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

tough to know where to post pictures . . . anyway, at the risk of repeating myself, here's two from today.

This one with the Zeiss 24 f1.8

This one is with the 18-200

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I think a weatherproof Nex would sell very good. (I doubt it will happen though-because they would also have to offer lenses which are weatherproof).

But why not just offer a weatherproof body and one weatherproof lens.

Specially when we do outdoor activities (hiking, flying, diving, skiing) we are in rougher conditions AND we do not want to carry heavy cameras.

A studio camera does not need to be weatherproof. But a small camera which invites us to be taken everywhere - here I see potential.

And as far as I know there is not ONE weatherproof compact camera with a little bigger sensor.
    (Just when I wrote this I read about the Olympus AMD and a weather sealed 12-50mm Zoom lens!!!!)- Just when one thinks to have settled on a camera there comes something else with an intersting feature - of course its m4/3 and not dx sensor no replacement for a Nex)
    Weatherproofness is one thing. The other one is how rugged is a camera.

If I see the mechanics of the Nex7 flash and the swivel display, or if I see the screw of the Nex5n flash/viewfinder, I am just afraid to risk any abuse to the Nex7.

Thomas Streng

Thanks very much Thomas.

I understand now, the second image was taken with the S2. Didn't expect that in this thread, should have used my eyes
    Anyway, I like both images. They each have a roll to play in the collective visual memory of your family, well done.

As for the NEX 7 versus the S2, I too think that though very different, both camera systems have their place and can both be useful. Weather sealing on the NEX would be high on my wish list too. I think now with the A77 Sony proved that they can do it. Let's hope they put it in a future NEX. Some would say this isn't going to happen since the NEX line is 'only' enthusiast level, but I disagree. It can be used for professional photography. It's not a D4 or 1D-X with ultra high ISO and super fast AF, but it can deliver a technically fine image file. In that sense the NEX is more related to the S2 than high end CaNikons. It kind of needs a more deliberate approach.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek, love your pictures of Den Haag, I grew up there. Vruchtenbuurt?
    Thanks, Peter.

I had to look up Vruchtenbuurt. I guess I have passed by that many times.
    The first 6pics above are from Rijswijk/Den Haag border area. The rest near the centrum. Close to the Bezuidenhout area near our residence.

A couple of more near the city hall.

This spot provides and interesting lighted area with reflections from the surrounding buildings. Year round, day or night, always a challenge.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some night shots (classic style - long exposure on a tripod)

Zeiss 24mm f/1.8

Coral Gables Congregational Church by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Sony 16mm f/2.8

Racing Past the Biltmore by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Zeiss 24mm f/1.8

Racing Stripes by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love the last one, Carlos.

Tamron 18-200mm Di III has just arrived and I am most impressed, so far. Very high standard of construction, better than I was expecting, excellent VR, and most important of all the image quality looks to be very good, better at comparable focal lengths than my copy of the kit lens (save in the centre where they are about even). Smaller and lighter than the Sony equivalent, but still fairly chunky on the Nex-7. Sadly now dark so will test in daylight. tomorrow.
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice night shots, Carlos!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos
    I love your racing stripes. . .

Here are four shots taken today with the WATE - no signs of magenta casts, but the corners are only 'sharp enough' - it's best used at f5.6 and beyond (not too much trouble with a wide angle). This should be kept in context - much better than any of the available zooms, and quite good enough for big landscape prints, just not quite as sweet as on the M9.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Love the last one, Carlos.

Tamron 18-200mm Di III has just arrived and I am most impressed, so far. Very high standard of construction, better than I was expecting, excellent VR, and most important of all the image quality looks to be very good, better at comparable focal lengths than my copy of the kit lens (save in the centre where they are about even). Smaller and lighter than the Sony equivalent, but still fairly chunky on the Nex-7. Sadly now dark so will test in daylight. tomorrow.
    Some of my favourite lenses have been the better made Tamrons. I hope it works out.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The only favorite Tamron I have is a 70mm f/5.6. I have to check it on the 7.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The only favorite Tamron I have is a 70mm f/5.6. I have to check it on the 7.
    To be honest it was a very long time ago - but I had a 70-210? SP lens in the 80's which I really loved - and also the 90mm macro.

Just this guy you know