The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

Quentin_Bargate

Still resisting here . . . I've got the A mount f2 version . . .and the Leica f1.4 version . . . more 24's seems a little excessive

I'll be interested to see how you get on though.
I'm trying to avoid adapters. The Ziess is autofocus. An A-mount lens will also autofocus on a NEX, but only on an appropriate adapter, adding to weight and size. And for this focal length, its the compact size and general portability that is key. I'm pretty sure over the next year or so we will see a rash of new E mount lenses from Sigma, Tamron and possibly a few more from Sony and Zeiss. For now, the Ziess 24mm looks the best bet for a compact, high quality autofocus general purpose lens. Hopefully I will receive it soon and will report back when i can test it out.

V

Vivek

I'm trying to avoid adapters. The Ziess is autofocus. An A-mount lens will also autofocus on a NEX, but only on an appropriate adapter, adding to weight and size. And for this focal length, its the compact size and general portability that is key. I'm pretty sure over the next year or so we will see a rash of new E mount lenses from Sigma, Tamron and possibly a few more from Sony and Zeiss. For now, the Ziess 24mm looks the best bet for a compact, high quality autofocus general purpose lens. Hopefully I will receive it soon and will report back when i can test it out.

I can understand your point and quite agree with it! I do see some advantages and use for the old, abandoned/orphaned SLR system lenses like Leica, Canon FD, Olympus, Minolta, Konica, M42, etc when there is a proper tilt/shift adapter is available. With movements, there are some surprises as to which system lenses fare better than some of the more fancied ones. :)

jonoslack

Jono: in the first image above—is that a Massey Ferguson TEA-20??? I learned to drive on one of these... we lived "in the bush" in Australia, and the bush looks nothing like your countryside!

Anyhow, that lens looks fine on the '7'. Cheers, kl
HI Kit
I think it's a TEA-20 . . . but I think it's just a Fergie rather than a Massey Ferguson. It was made in 1954!
I sound vague; - the tractor belongs to Emma, not to me! (sometimes I am allowed to drive it though!)

all the best

Michiel Schierbeek

@ Jono; that lens looks fine to me. I missed one for € 900,-- Is that cheap?

@ Vivek; Nice candid in that bus; you used the expandable screen to focus or did you prefocus?

Here are some of mine. In contrast to the 80-100 Zeiss, the 35-70 gives me a lot of trouble to focus @ infinity, the adapter is just passed, I think.

Michiel

V

Vivek

Michiel, Both. I still have to get used to the restricted movements of the NEX screen. I hope, I won't rip it off since I am so used to the fabulous G1 and GH-2 swivel screen.

etrigan63

Attended a reception tonight at the Lowe Art Museum which is hosting the Beaux Arts Festival. One of my students was included in the Student Artists Showcase, but she was a no-show. After the reception, I decided to test the NEX-7's Handheld Twilight mode. Here is the result using the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8

After the Party by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

eleanorbrown

I've just had time to look at all the images in this forum and I am so impressed! For those of you also shooting with the Leica M9 how do you compard the nex7 with that camera? Thanks! Eleanor

jonoslack

I've just had time to look at all the images in this forum and I am so impressed! For those of you also shooting with the Leica M9 how do you compard the nex7 with that camera? Thanks! Eleanor
Hi There
Well, it's no substitute for an M9 - because the whole rangefinder thing is the real deal (for me at least).
There's lots of ways to criticise the NEX7, but if you set it up and forget, then it works pretty well, the ergonomics are good, and the focus peaking is, as MR says; a revelation. It's fun and rewarding to shoot, and if you have the helicoid adapter, it's odd and interesting shooting a noctilux at 10" and a 28 'cron at 6".
I have a friend, who's definition of good technology is Not Irritating - the NEX7 really does qualify . . . but it isn't a Leica!