The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

Michiel Schierbeek

Very quiet here with all those new cameras.

I reworked some baby portraits shot wide open with old 50mm 50ths lenses. Put in some grain and vignetting in AR. Not my usual thing to do. Now I am thinking may be they should go better in B&W.

Michiel

m_driscoll

Matt, beautifull muscled cats and they can jump like fred Astaire! Michiel
Matt, That jumping guy seems really adventurous doing that on wet Seattle streets!:D
wow, good action shots of kitty!!!
Goodness me, Mr Driscoll, an NEX-7 AND two Abyssinian kittens! As both a lifetime cat slave (including to Abyssinians at one period) and someone now circling hesitantly around a decision as to whether to buy the NEX-7, I would venture to say that your cup runneth over, big time! The thing is, though, that those gorgeous cats look as they are going to give you such a runaround for the foreseeable future that you are barely going to have time to look at a camera let alone lift one to your eye. (By the way, great shots -- which further fuel my NEX-7 or OMD agony.)
Love the ferry shot Matt!
Gentlemen: Thanks!:D The cats are great fun. Right now, they're sleeping on the couch, getting rested up to further terrorize us.
Hilid: :D:D:D Get the Nex 7. As, Jono would say, two words: focus peeking!

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

mazor

Michiel Schierbeek, adding grain to images. Interesting. I hear the natural grain of OM-D is supposed to be quite good hehe.

m_driscoll

Hanging out near the freeway, just South of downtown.

Nex 7; 18-200mm; 19mm; 1/200s @ f/10; ISO 100

Nex 7; 18-200mm; 47mm; 1/100s @ f/16; ISO 100

Nex 7; 18-200mm; 149mm; 1/320s @ f6.3; ISO 100

Nex 7; 18-200mm; 18mm; 1/30s @ f/3.5; ISO 100

Nex 7; 18-200mm; 200mm; 1/320s @ f/16; +2/3 EV; ISO 100

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

m_driscoll

Nicholas: A beautiful image. Evokes a real feeling for the desert.
jlm: Nice. I esp. like the first one: framing, her distinct profile, and expression.
Wayne: Brilliant color. I like the dynamic aspect of the first photo. Congrats on getting your own Nex 7.
Vivek: Why weren't you pleased? It's a pretty cool shot.
Retow: Great 'bubbles and circles". I love the layering in the first one with the shiny, detailed, foreground and the silhouetted background.
Retow: Impressive photos at the horse races!
Bigkidneys: Nicely photographed. Have fun with the XPro1.
Michiel: Beautiful series. Excellent results with that lens.
Michiel: Cute kid. B & W might soften them a bit and allow you to bring the photo's 'focus' in tighter?

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

V

Vivek

The little critter really tired me out. The difficulty is increased because of the iridescent exterior. For these two shots, I added an SB-30 fill via Phottix strato II wireless set up. The HVL-F20AM with a flash modifier was still on the NEX-7 via the Phottix trigger. Again ~3X magnification.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

NEX-7, Leitz macro Summar 35/4.5, HVL-F20AM, SB-30, Phottix strato II.

V

Vivek

love the macros vivek, hehe. have you tried macro using the m to nex helicoid and cv 12 or 15?
Thanks, Mazor. :)

The C-V lenses only allow close-ups. Magnification ranges of 1/3X to 1/5X.

The macro shots posted above are 3X life size.

FWIW, as I already said, I do not have the M mount Cosina lenses. Only the LTM ones. I use them with a NEX to LTM adapter and not the Hawk adapter.

I have lots of extension rings for any thread mount, including Leica threads. ;)

Michiel Schierbeek

Good macro's Vivek!

The SB-30 is that a second flash? SB-30 doesn't ring a bell.

BTW What advantages, besides being smaller and less expensive, has the HVL-F20AM above the Sony HVL-F42AM of which you can swing the light vertical and horizontal.

V

Vivek

Michiel, Thanks! :)

SB-30 is a tiny Nikon flash that allows manual power settings down to 1/64 (I have way too many Nikon flashes).

Advantage of the HVL-F20AM over the others:

Small

Light weight (160g)

Has more than enough light for macros like this (in fact if the pop up could be brought close to the subject it has more than enough light).

The key, of course, is my special flash modifier. :) So, it isn't the HVL-F20AM that is the big deal here.

mazor

do tell us vivek more about this flash modifier please :)

my 15mm cv with helicoid gets at best 1/2 life size, but then I crop the image heaps and get a much larger frame of the subject.

jlm

Workshop Member
finally got out there (having a tire changed in Queens, walked around the 'hood)
all with CV 12mm. also used an LCC, though shot it afterward and it's effect seemed to work fine, but to varying effect