The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

Michiel Schierbeek

Some from Vlissingen, the birthplace of Michiel Adriaensen de Ruyter.

The English probably don't want to remember that brutal guy :(

"The Raid on the Medway, sometimes called the Battle of the Medway, Raid on Chatham or the Battle of Chatham, was a successful Dutch attack on the largest English naval ships, laid up in the dockyards of their main naval base Chatham, that took place in June 1667 during the Second Anglo-Dutch War. The Dutch, under nominal command of Lieutenant-Admiral Michiel de Ruyter, bombarded and then captured the town of Sheerness, sailed up the River Thames to Gravesend, then up the River Medway to Chatham, where they burned three capital ships and ten lesser naval vessels and towed away the HMS Unity and the HMS Royal Charles, pride and normal flagship of the English fleet. The raid led to a quick end to the war and a favourable peace for the Dutch. It was the worst defeat in the Royal Navy's history."

Sorry, Michiel

simonclivehughes

Simon, Philber, thank you for appreciating.

All three with Noctilux 0.95/50 wide open.
Frankly, I'm amazed at how much DOF there is in the portrait at that aperture. How close were you to the subject, and was this a crop? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the images, just that I would have expected a shallower DOF.

Cheers,

ypamine

Simon,

The picture is cropped to about 75% of original size. Distance from subject may have been around 1,7m.

The DOF seen on this image is consistent with what I got in similar other cases with the same lens. I was also surprised at first, expecting shallower DOF, but at the end I am thankful for this help, especially when shooting people that are not really posing.

simonclivehughes

Simon,

The picture is cropped to about 75% of original size. Distance from subject may have been around 1,7m.

The DOF seen on this image is consistent with what I got in similar other cases with the same lens. I was also surprised at first, expecting shallower DOF, but at the end I am thankful for this help, especially when shooting people that are not really posing.
Thanks for your reply. I have to admit I'm still amazed at how much is in focus (and I see why you are delighted). I don't have a Noctilux (sold one years ago and I'm still kicking myself!), but I shoot with a CV Nokton 50mm f1.5 and I had the 50mm f1.1 Nokton too and it always seems to me that the DOF is shallower than I want (yet I still want it wide open).

Ciao,

ypamine

Thank you Michiel.

I must also say that your pictures from the Lisbon train station are remarkable. I am sure that the place is impressive, but your compositions certainly add a lot to it.

J

JohnW

I've never owned a camera with an articulating LCD, but I'm finding the Nex 7 screen useful. For this one I used it waist-level, like a TLR. My height makes compositions like this challenging, so really glad to have this feature.

John

f/otographer

John, I completely agree about the screen. Back in my Canon days I thought an articulating screen was just a gimmick, but I now find it really aids in my photography. Especially macro shots. I shoot a lot of photos with the camera down on the ground and I no longer have to lay down to keep my eye on the VF.

On another note, here are a few recent shots from one of my favorite lenses for my 7. The Minolta MD 35/2.8.

a cool fall day is perfect for play

fall back

thistles, and boy with stick

J

JohnW

John, I completely agree about the screen. Back in my Canon days I thought an articulating screen was just a gimmick, but I now find it really aids in my photography. Especially macro shots. I shoot a lot of photos with the camera down on the ground and I no longer have to lay down to
Interesting about the MD. I've got two MD 50s but no adapter. What adapter do you recommend?

John