The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

Ron Pfister

Two images taken with the Zeiss Tele-Tessar ZM 85mm @ f8.0
Looking at my notes, I realized that the bottom image was taken with the Zeiss Planar ZM 50mm. Sorry for the misinformation! Here the same images again, this time in a more forum-friendly format and with all relevant technical data:

Cheers,

Ron

Ron Pfister

Great B&W, Ron! The second one is my fave!
Thanks, philber! I've been using the NEX-7 with various M-mount lenses since May last year, and it has been an eye-opener with more than one respect. I've re-discovered B&W (more or less dormant since my darkroom days), and I must say that I enjoy the process of working with purely manual lenses enormously. I've also spent much more time photographing landscapes. Previously, my focus was on wildlife (mostly birds). The small size and weight of my NEX-kit enables me to do things effortlessly that were a pain or even unthinkable previously. The image quality the NEX-7 delivers in combination with these lenses is a very welcome 'bonus', of course. I've printed the above images at a size of 24x36", and I continue to be amazed by the resulting level of detail...

Best,

Ron

philber

I really like your "window to the sea", Ron! That said, I would love to know how you get rid of corner problems from the ZM 21 on the NEX 7.

Ron Pfister

I really like your "window to the sea", Ron! That said, I would love to know how you get rid of corner problems from the ZM 21 on the NEX 7.
As you probably know, the corner problems on the NEX-7 are due to the characteristics of the sensor's microlens array, which is not designed for use with non-retrofocus WA lenses of quasi-symmetrical design (i.e. those that have a rear element that sits close to the sensor, such as is the case with all Zeiss Biogons and many other M-mount WA lenses). These problems manifest themselves in two ways:

- Purple color shift and vignetting in the corners
- Loss of detail and sharpness in the corners

The former can be corrected fairly effectively, the latter only to a very limited extent.

To deal with vignetting and color shift, I used to use Sandy McGuffog's excellent CornerFix application, which works very well. However, it doesn't integrate with Lightroom very smoothly, so I started looking for alternatives. A few months ago, Adobe released the first beta version of its DNG Flat Field Plug-in, which makes flat field corrections within Lightroom a much less painful experience. It can be downloaded here: Download Plug-ins for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Adobe Labs

Here some pros and cons of the two products:

CornerFix
Pros: works with any DNG-based workflow
Cons: requires DNGs, no direct integration with Lightroom (requiring exporting and importing of DNGs), alters actual image data of the DNGs

Adobe DNG Flat Field Plug-in
Pros: integrates well with Lightroom, doesn't alter image data (employing Adobe-proprietary op-codes instead)
Cons: requires DNGs, only useable with Adobe products (due to proprietary op-codes), can be a bit buggy (producing seemingly spurious error messages - but it's in beta, so I guess that's OK)

HTH,

Ron