The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

fotografz

Hi all, a friend has loaned me a NEX-7 for a while but I have no manual to work from ... the only thing I can't seem to figure out myself is mounting a M lens via a Kipon L/M to NEX adapter. The camera says there is no lens mounted and doesn't allow shooting.

What settings do I do to enable shooting with adapted lenses? Step-by-step instructions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

-Marc
Marc -

Menu -> Settings -> Release W/O Lens -> Enable

:)
Thanks!

-Marc

philber

I've been doing some testing with the D800E and ZF.2 glass lately, and I've noticed that with most lenses, maximum image detail is reached at f/5.6 and degrades at smaller apertures due to diffraction.

I haven't done any such testing (i.e. aperture series) with the NEX-7, but due to it's smaller pixel pitch compared to the D800E, I am now thinking that it might peak rather earlier (around f/4) - as long as the lens can deliver maximum detail at that aperture. Then again, the AA-filter may blur the distinction between f-stops in the f/4 to f/8 range (quite literally).

Have any of you done aperture series with high-quality glass on the NEX-7? I'd be curious to hear your findings!

TIA,

Ron

Edit: I'd like to add that my purpose here is not insane pixel peeping. What I noticed very clearly with the D800E is that at the optimum aperture, the increased detail results in an image that shows high micro-contrast and therefore looks more clear and crisp. I think this is what is called the '3D look' or '3D pop' by many. I had never seen it as clearly before as I have with the D800E. As you close the aperture further from f/5.6, image macro contrast increases (if the subject is three-dimensional, due to increased depth of field), while micro contrast decreases. By f/11 to f/16, the image looks flat and un-engaging compared to f/5.6. The difference is quite remarkable!
Yes, Ron, I tested for diffraction with a Summilux 50. Basically, I can see no difference between f:4.0 and f:5.6 that I can be sure of. F:8.0 is definitely "hit" by diffraction, though. My preference with the Lux, leaving DOF and bokeh aside is to shoot between f:2.8 and f:4.0.

That said, I am not sure I agree with you regarding 3D. My experience is that some of the lenses that are considered to have the strongest rendering of 3D, such as Zeiss Z* 35 f:2.0 do not particularly shine in terms of minute detail. My comparison with Zeiss Z* 35 f:1.4 showed that the latter had significantly more detail for typical landscape (infinity, f:5.6), as was apparently borne out also by MTF curves. Yet, not everyone thought it had as much 3D as the f:2.0. In my opinion, more micro-detail makes a picture look, if anything, less spectacular in terms of sharpness and 3D until one learns to appreciate the subtlety over the "in-your-face" effect that less detail enables.

James Clark

This little beast has turned into my go-to tool for high-volume, small format work. Yeah, the 18-200 needs some help in post, but if you take care with the shot, there's not much it can't do and the versatility and portability tradeoff is unmatched. I shot an architectural tour last weekend, and got this out of it:

Michiel Schierbeek

Took the NEX-7 with me on a short trip to France together with the, for me new, Contax Zeiss Tessar 45/2.8.
Nice weather and light for a walk in a small town. Sharp lens and small.

Michiel