The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

etrigan63

At Matt's suggestion, I am starting the NEX-7 version of the "Fun with" threads. As is required by (unwritten) site protocol, I am including an image of the camera in question:

My NEX-7 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

and the requisite cat picture:

Requisite Cat Photo by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

First image taken with a Pentax Q, second image by NEX-7 + CV 35mm Nokton f/1.4 @ about f/4, ISO 800.

N

nocavat

i'm jealous, not getting mine yet, i ordered the kit and it wont start shipping till after new years, enjoy it, i'll have to "suffer" with my 5n in the mean time.
At Matt's suggestion, I am starting the NEX-7 version of the "Fun with" threads. As is required by (unwritten) site protocol, I am including an image of the camera in question:

My NEX-7 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

and the requisite cat picture:

Requisite Cat Photo by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

First image taken with a Pentax Q, second image by NEX-7 + CV 35mm Nokton f/1.4 @ about f/4, ISO 800.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hmmmm... so it can take cat pictures? Probably not a camera for me then. All my cameras lock up automatically if I attempt to take a photo of a cat, a dog, a brick wall or a back yard ;)

m_driscoll

I took a cat photo a few minutes ago, but, I haven't had time to process it. ;) Here's a few from this afternoon.

Nex 7; 24mm f/1.8; 1/60s @ f/2.5; +2-1/3 EV; ISO 3200

Nex 7; 24mm f/1.8; 1/250s @ f/1.8; ISO 100

Nex 7; 24mm f/1.8; 1/500s @ f/1.8; ISO 100

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Godfrey

It's a very trim and attractive camera.
I want to know how well it images with 15 to 28 mm M-bayonet lenses, please. ;-)

Mike Woods

Matt, I presume you have an adapter for your M lenses? Really looking forward to reading your thoughts on how the Sony performs....

Mike

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Enrique, I would love to hear your comments on general handling and focussing with this particular lens; the combination of the 7 and the CV 35/1.4 is exactly what I was thinking about. Setup looks great, too.

My cameras find cats to be strange attractors; if I don't shoot them, bad things happen!

Part of this silliness is categorising her 'arm' positions, as in gymnastics: this is a simple 'blocked extend'; low difficulty score, but perfect execution!

X10, SOOC, resized.

etrigan63

Sure thing Kit. BTW, it's Carlos. Enrique was my great-great-uncle who came to the United States via Ellis Island in 1915 (his name is on the books there).

But first, some test shots with a Zuiko 135mm f/2.8 + Fotodiox adapter:

Tinajon by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Orange Geigers by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Infinity Focus Test by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

This last shot was a test of sharpness wide open and infinity focus. If you look at the full sized image (click on the picture to take you to the flickr page) you can see the details of the airplane and the black bits on the lower right of the shot aren't dust specks - they're turkey buzzards in flight.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks Carlos; seems I was a bit quick to post! And I will love to hear more about the CV 35 and the 7. Where did you get your body from, BTW?

Cheers and thanks, Kit

etrigan63

Precision Camera. i got on the list in September. I started doing some tests with the CV 35mm and I ran into the dreaded "infinity focus" issue with the rainbow adapter I have. i just ordered an M-to-NEX adapter from Fotodiox so we'll see how that turns out.

m_driscoll

As requested here's two images with M-Mount lenses. Imported directly into LR3, converted to DNG on import, exported as jpeg. 'Purple shift' on both. Most evident on the 15mm photo. It wasn't this apparent on my Nex 5N.

Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5

Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2

Cheers, Matt

Last edited:

m_driscoll

Three from in front of my office and one from lunch in the Fremont Neighborhood.

Nex 7; Leica 28mm f/2; 1/200s; -1-1/3 EV; ISO 100

Nex 7; Leica 28mm f/2; 1/160s; -1-1/3 EV; ISO 160

Nex 7; Leica 28mm f/2; 1/160s; -1-1/3 EV; ISO 800

Nex 7; Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8; 1/800s; -1/3 EV; ISO 100

Cheers, Matt

jonoslack

Well, personally I think they all look dreadful . . . . . . ..

But then I would think that , wouldn't I . . . . .

Because I haven't got a camera​
:cry::cry:

. . . and it looks like end January for me :cry:

Incidentally, as far as the purple shift and lenses are concerned, I think it's to do with whether the lenses are symmetrical (bad) or not (good).

If you have it Matt, it might be very interesting to see how the WATE does - I suspect you might find that it does much better.

PS Lots of nice shots from y'all - any first impressions?

etrigan63

Jono,
I am in the throes of putting together a "first impressions" blog post for the NEX-7 and the Pentax Q, but here are the highlights so far...

* Amazing dynamic range.
* EVF makes the use of Exposure Compensation mind-bogglingly easy to use. Just remember to put it back after you shoot.
* Focus peaking makes using legacy glass a rather simple affair (as long as there is contrast for it to work with. But, you already knew this.

More on this as I think about it.