The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sharpies Work!

V

Vivek

(To those who might want to..)

After only a few days, I am convinced that the NEX-7 is a keeper. A permanent marker works and sticks to the SONY logo in white along with the NEX-7 on top. Strap advertisements are also taken care of even more easily.

Only the 24.3 Megapixels at the bottom front right needs to scratched off using a sharp blade/knife.

V

Vivek

With advanced apologies to those awaiting their NEX-7..here is a picture with the Olympus pen F pancake 38/2.8 (and the "hood"). The white logos appear still a bit white in the picture because of the camera used to take the picture is still a bit sensitive to infrared. In reality, it is dark grey. The embossed α is left alone.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Practical difficulties aside (stainless steel letter embossed on the thin metal shell very close to the mic- it needs a special epoxy coat and then a dab of paint), I left it as is to confuse focus peaking. ;)

jfirneno

At the risk of sounding dumb, is the blacking out of the lettering something to do with filming in infra-red?

Regards,
John

V

Vivek

John, Nothing technical. I just like it without the white lettering and especially the scratched out 24.3 megapixels.

I might add here that certain red paints do interfere with making fluorescence photos. They light up brightly under UV (black) light. I take care of them by getting rid of them where possible or use a mask to cover them up. The Nikon logo is really notorius in this regard.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Why is it 24.3 megapixels? The largest image size (according to two websites I just checked) is 6000x4000. Where do the extra 0.3 mp come from, exposure and AF sensors?
:confused:
Matt

douglasf13

With my A900, I also painted in the white lettering. In fact, I removed the Alpha logo and painted it black with model paint, too. :)

jonoslack

At the risk of sounding dumb, is the blacking out of the lettering something to do with filming in infra-red?

Regards,
John
Hi John
It's a strange ritual practiced by some photographers, I think they feel that the camera is no longer worth stealing after they've disfigured it - rather in the way that we all splash paint over our new cars here to prevent theft.

:)

douglasf13

Hi John
It's a strange ritual practiced by some photographers, I think they feel that the camera is no longer worth stealing after they've disfigured it - rather in the way that we all splash paint over our new cars here to prevent theft.

That's an interesting reason I hadn't thought of. I've done it to my cameras simply because the high contrast of white lettering on a black body is kind of distracting. Oddly enough, when I sold my "stealthy" A900, I got the going rate, at the time, so it didn't really hurt the value.

V

Vivek

Hi John

I never thought in that direction though I am perpetually poor to buy expensive toys.

One of my reasons for such alteration is out of pity to the potential thieves.

For example, the first dedicated UV camera ever, I disfigured it. It is a priceless treasure to me (notwithstanding all the thought/work I put in to making it) because of what it can do for me. For an average joe out there, it is a crippled piece of junk.

UV1 by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

I made another one of these and gifted that to Bjørn Rørslett who knows how to use it and appreciates it greatly.

Subliminally, the blackening of the NEX-7 is an indication of what is going to happen to it, in my hands, in the very near future.;)

There are many cameras out there that do color capture very nicely and reliably. Even I own/use some! :ROTFL: