The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX7 & Alpha - any flash & wireless

hot

flash shoe allows use of any flash light and wireless flash module with Alphas and NEX7

prices include shipping from China

Yongnuo flash ~ $ 45

V

Vivek

I got a flash adapter like the one on the left (top image). Thanks again!:)

My old but still very versatile and tiny Nikon SB-30 works beautifully.

I am hoping that there will be even miniaturized version of the flash adapters and wireless controllers than these so that they make a better fit on the NEX-7.

They all look small on Sony's DSLRs and SLTs though.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Excellent, and I am bookmarking this (for the GXR). When shooting interiors, that kind of off-camera small flash can be so valuable. Cheers

hot

Of course you can use wireless without extra adapter, but for conventional hot shoe you need a second one ooooor an adapter.

fotografz

Of course you can use wireless without extra adapter, but for conventional hot shoe you need a second one ooooor an adapter.

Good to see other choices.

The point of the Phottix is pass through TTL to the hot-shoe speed-light, and the receivers also accept Sony flash on top. Otherwise you are into a more complex set-up with more parts and some way to attach the transmitter to the camera when the hot shoe occupied by a TTL speed-light.

The classic simple set-up for portraits is one large source key directional light off-camera left or right, and an on-camera speed-light set to TTL for fill (using the Sony compensation controls to adjust amount of fill). A third Sony speed-light can be employed as a background, hair, or kicker light if desired.

I don't use this sort of thing very often, but if you don't have a battery driven studio strobe system, it works pretty well ... as long as you don't try to overpower the sun on bright days, or light a really large area or large group of people.

For a three piece radio kit @ $150. it solves a lot of issues. Reports I researched seem to indicate robust operation under demanding conditions like a wedding.

=Marc

hot

Receivers you get for $ 8.50 or $ 8.00 (incl.ship.)

PT-04 works with 433 Mhz, while Yongnuos are working with 2.4 Ghz.
Both are available as sets with transmitter and 1/2/3/4 receivers.

PT-04

PT-04

Last edited:
V

Vivek

John, it is the same stuff that Hot mentions but re-sold for ~3X the price.