Site Sponsors

Thread: Good Bye OVF!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question Good Bye OVF!

Sony interview: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...distant-memory

Ten years from now, will mirror-based cameras be a distant memory?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Good Bye OVF!

I remember the prediction for the paperless office...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...or film less cameras?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or even the death of film...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

or manual focus

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

or betamax

Post Thanks / Like

I can't disagree with 10 years. But it's interesting to see how this interview was spun on the Sonyalpharumors site. They state "Sony clearly says that Optical Viewfinder DSLR are…dead." Whereas the actual interview states that Sony will give their customers what they will buy, whether DSLR, DSLT or mirrorless. And I believe that is accurate. Also the Sony rep clearly states that he is aware that many honest unbiased individuals still prefer SLR to SLT. So it is possible to see how Sony may see it within its own interests to replace the A850/A900 with a DSLR. Either way I do agree that in the long run the reflex mirror (moving or otherwise) will probably go away.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    I can't disagree with 10 years. But it's interesting to see how this interview was spun on the Sonyalpharumors site.
    They (sony, m4/3, mirrorless) seem do it deliberately to stir a debate. Sometimes good info passes by. That is all.

But the quote here is the actual headline from "imaging-resource" interview's headline.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing we have choices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I suppose that ovfs will be around awhile unless they can match the three-dimensionality of an optical view. Simply seeing something that is out of focus on an evf is not nearly the same as having your eyes do the focusing for you selectively in different parts of the frame. The hybrid approach as in the x100 is one that I sincerely hope can be built into a more serious camera.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, EVF/OVF debates will be a refreshing change to film/digital ones or APC/FF or more pixels/less pixels or Sony/Fuji...

What did photographers talk about before digital?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Well, EVF/OVF debates will be a refreshing change to film/digital ones or APC/FF or more pixels/less pixels or Sony/Fuji...

What did photographers talk about before digital?
    oh, film, developers, special agitation techniques, how long to fix, should fixer removing agents be used or not, stop baths, water or acidic, two-part developers, film and film grain, the beauty of number 3 paper, toners, Metol allergies, recipes for mix-your own chemicals, e6 in the kitchen sink, home brew tweaks to E6, loading film carriers, fuming plates, coating plates, how to avoid dying from the cyanide fumes, paper surfaces, lenses, lenses, lenses, dye transfer home-brew buffer changes. the "real-man's" way to make an unsharp mask, masking in general, resolution, wondering when the film industry would get beyond 80 lines per mm, depth of field, view camera technique, arguments about composition, the "tastefulness" of nudes, home made wet-sink plans, film dryers, paper dryers, wetting solution, flattening agents, spotone, alternatives to spotone, goos retouching brushes, loupes, enlarger focusing aids, safelights, infrared film, best material to use for a dark cloth, shooting in the field and how much all this stuff weighs, tripods, locations to shoot, shutters, shutter calibration and repair, cable releases, viewing conditions, archival processes, and one or two hundred other things.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    oh, film, developers, special agitation techniques, how long to fix, should fixer removing agents be used or not, stop baths, water or acidic, two-part developers, film and film grain, the beauty of number 3 paper, toners, Metol allergies, recipes for mix-your own chemicals, e6 in the kitchen sink, home brew tweaks to E6, loading film carriers, fuming plates, coating plates, how to avoid dying from the cyanide fumes, paper surfaces, lenses, lenses, lenses, dye transfer home-brew buffer changes. the "real-man's" way to make an unsharp mask, masking in general, resolution, wondering when the film industry would get beyond 80 lines per mm, depth of field, view camera technique, arguments about composition, the "tastefulness" of nudes, home made wet-sink plans, film dryers, paper dryers, wetting solution, flattening agents, spotone, alternatives to spotone, goos retouching brushes, loupes, enlarger focusing aids, safelights, infrared film, best material to use for a dark cloth, shooting in the field and how much all this stuff weighs, tripods, locations to shoot, shutters, shutter calibration and repair, cable releases, viewing conditions, archival processes, and one or two hundred other things.
    -bob
    So basically whatever can be argued. Then all is right with the Brave New World that has such viewfinders in it. Seriously then, things may be actually becoming simpler!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is just coming back to complete a circle. The first cameras had real live-view!

OVF, external finders, zone focusing, TLRs, RFs, pentaprisms.. just muddled the picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All these toy cameras and their toy camera tech - is really funny! i am getting n perverse sort of pleasure reading all these toy camera forum posts and threads - I even bought a couple of toy cameras to play with - and confirmed to myself - yeah they are toys - not much better really than what an Iphone can do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    It is just coming back to complete a circle. The first cameras had real live-view!

OVF, external finders, zone focusing, TLRs, RFs, pentaprisms.. just muddled the picture.
    Yeah, totally. I find it interesting that some find it impossible to frame, focus and shoot with a little computer screen on the camera, yet they are able to tweak and process pictures for hours on their computer screens at home.

Don't get me wrong, I hate poor EVFs as much as the next guy, and there are things that I like about OVFs, but the new Sony EVF may be the tipping point.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    All these toy cameras and their toy camera tech - is really funny! i am getting n perverse sort of pleasure reading all these toy camera forum posts and threads - I even bought a couple of toy cameras to play with - and confirmed to myself - yeah they are toys - not much better really than what an Iphone can do.
    Hi Peter
    which toy cameras was that? Nikon V1?, NEX 5n? Fuji X100? Leica M9? IQ180?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I hate poor EVFs as much as the next guy, and there are things that I like about OVFs, but the new Sony EVF may be the tipping point.
    It is for me - There is a point at which all the extra information / exposure / white balance / depth of field / focus peaking . . . etc. . . . becomes attractive.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono ( since you asked)

I define a toy camera as any camera bought by those so inclined and tossed in a few months when internet forum chatter has moved on to the next brand new priced cheap enough to buy and talk about for a few months toy - before selling and moving on to the next priced cheap enough to buy before selling in a few months when the next comes along ...etc etc etc

The definition of course says nothing about the camera's ability in the hands of a photographer to make a nice photograph or a passable snap.

but then we all know that that benchmark was achieved with the box brownie

On a more serious note.

My problem with even the best EVF today as in Sony - is the viewing size and clarity doesn't match the simplest rangefinder or mirror box tech of 50 years ago - even with the help of focus peeking and excellent autofocus - the simple fact of the matter is that I use a viewfinder primarily for compositional purposes not for focus - I am sure things will improve over time ...I will look at the tech again - when it delivers a level of clarity and brightness and size that I like.

Cheers
    Pete

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My problem with even the best EVF today as in Sony - is the viewing size and clarity doesn't match the simplest rangefinder or mirror box tech of 50 years ago - even with the help of focus peeking and excellent autofocus - the simple fact of the matter is that I use a viewfinder primarily for compositional purposes not for focus - I am sure things will improve over time ...I will look at the tech again - when it delivers a level of clarity and brightness and size that I like.

Cheers
    Pete
    Ah Peter . . . if you want to argue the benefits of an SLR viewfinder over an EVF I can argue back . . . but if you're arguing about a rangefinder, then I don't have a word to say! Seeing around the image is so important, and provides so much more information.

Still, although the NEX7 is MY current toy - I think it's a bit patronising to refer to it as a toy - it's certainly capable of producing great images.

but with respect to the original post . . . I really can see the mirror SLR being replace by the EVF over the next few years . . . but not the optical rangefinder.

One of the things which really impresses me about the Fuji X1-pro (another toy) is that they've realised the truth of the OVF and provided two different settings with proper framelines. I've always felt it would be nice if Leica produced a three setting RF window - but I suspect it's too difficult from a technical point of view.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Ah Peter . . . if you want to argue the benefits of an SLR viewfinder over an EVF I can argue back . . . but if you're arguing about a rangefinder, then I don't have a word to say! Seeing around the image is so important, and provides so much more information.

Still, although the NEX7 is MY current toy - I think it's a bit patronising to refer to it as a toy - it's certainly capable of producing great images.

but with respect to the original post . . . I really can see the mirror SLR being replace by the EVF over the next few years . . . but not the optical rangefinder.

One of the things which really impresses me about the Fuji X1-pro (another toy) is that they've realised the truth of the OVF and provided two different settings with proper framelines. I've always felt it would be nice if Leica produced a three setting RF window - but I suspect it's too difficult from a technical point of view.
    I have no inclination to disrespect anyone's 'choice' of camera Jono - I will leave it there regarding the implications of my definition of attitude towards cameras by the collective.

Regarding SLR viewfinders - I respectfully suggest that you look through a Mamiya RZ or an Hy6 or Hasselblad or an S2 viewfinder before suggesting that the EVF from Sony or anyone else is better!

I cant speak about a Nex7 - as I have only bought a Nex5N and Sony77 ( or is it a 75?) I cant remember ...

both these viewfinders are interesting and revolutionary - but both can't compare to My Nikon D3 viewfinder or my R9 viewfinder..

I think we agree on the superiority of the rangefinder for compositonal purposes - and the Xpan is top of the pops for me there.

The only caveat - again though I say - that focus is not a high priority for me relative to framing. If we are talking focus ease - I think that these Sony cameras are as good as anything from rangefinder or 35mm land in auto mode - and certainly better than anything in automode from MF land.

I am spoilt for choice I guess - but these days I prefer less 'stuff' and am finding that i use my Alpa or artec for most shooting and auto nothing.

* Yes IF EVF was as large as I get from MF viewfinders - I think it would kill off mirror systems- bring it on!

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't manual focus on my canon 5d that's why I switched to the NEX. I never got to try the A900/A850 though.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono ( since you asked)

I define a toy camera as any camera bought by those so inclined and tossed in a few months when internet forum chatter has moved on to the next brand new priced cheap enough to buy and talk about for a few months toy - before selling and moving on to the next priced cheap enough to buy before selling in a few months when the next comes along ...etc etc etc

Pete
    Hmm, an interesting definition, I'll weigh in..
    for me, in no particular order and by no means complete -

Toys - Canon EOS1, Leica MP, Leica CM, Nikon D80, Nikon N8080, Konica Hexar RF, etc, etc, etc
    Not Toys - Ricoh GRD III, Contax T3, Olympus OM4, Olympus C5050, Canon EOS50, etc, etc, etc

I suspect the lists will vary a lot.

On the original posters topic though. One thing I have noticed is that humans tend to keep every bit of their technology, even if only in a small way. There are still people painting, even though there are pencils. People still draw with pencils even though there are cameras. Some use vinyl even though there are CDs and some don't have CDs but only use a mp3 and so on. Aficionados I think they are called.
    So even if EVFs take over someone will make a flappy mirror camera for a long while. I hear they still make Rangefinders. They are from the 1930's right?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim, The difference could be what one actually does with a camera.
    Last edited by Vivek; 17th January 2012 at 01:09. Reason: .

Post Thanks / Like

YES, very true. For me though, with one example, the Leica MP just did not work. Possibly, the camera that most meshed with me has been the Contax T3. I got many "keepers" from that. It can depend on factors at the time. Some cameras I never had the time to put into working with them. So many variables.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Was that an a la carte BP MP, Tim?

I have seen pictures posted by some toy owners!

Gorgeous camera!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

One could argue that if EVF were so much better than OVF-why dont we put computerdisplay-glasses in front of our face in see the world through those

My opinion: an optical viewinder-if it is good- will be the best posibility to see the reality how it is-without being darkended or brightened up, without any change in color, and without any (if we forget the speed of light) delay.
    You see the real thing.
    So one could say with the EVF you see what you get later - but while being very good the EVF-image is still far away from what you get in the image (resolution alone but also color and tonality).
    There is one big reason for me for EVF: Size, as long as we talk about smaller cameras.
    And mabye the ability to use (and focus) legancy lenses is also a strong argument for a mirrorless/EVF camera.
    And maybe for video integration.
    For those reasons the EVF makes total sense in the Nex7 IMO.
    But if it is only about the seeing experience I prefer an OVF everyday as long as its ff-size or bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Yeah, totally. I find it interesting that some find it impossible to frame, focus and shoot with a little computer screen on the camera, yet they are able to tweak and process pictures for hours on their computer screens at home.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    One could argue that if EVF were so much better than OVF-why dont we put computerdisplay-glasses in front of our face in see the world through those

A lot of us do not put ANYTHING at all in front of our eyes to see the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1

I imagine that we all buy cameras to make images ( I sometimes wonder!) and our individual preferences should (but often will not) determine our choice of tool to achieve the picture we seek.

Sometimes internet hype overtakes reality and at the moment as good as modern EVF's are for most general photographic purposes, they are still not good enough to replace OVF's for certain types of photography.

I have used my Sony A77 for several months now and whilst the EVF is great for most of my photography, when it comes to action shots, it isn't a patch on either my A900 or A700. The EVF freezes just as I fire the shutter and pan to get the next shot. It can be worked but I lose several shots in the process. It is very frustrating!

Until EVF development overcomes this problem, then the OVF will remain supreme for professional use IMHO.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think as EVF's improve this issue will diminish. I can see lots of advantages to EVFs in terms what they will be able to offer, such as a properly cropped image in the viewfinder for panoramic formats and also for using DT lenses on FF. Also the use of PC lenses and the like are going to be better than with OVFs, but I think we aren't quite there yet - hence the 10 year suggestion.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In addition to that, it is easier to see in B&W. No need to visualise the picture or there isn't a need for monochrome filter like the Wratten #90 filter to see in B&W.

Personally, live view and EVF are extremely useful to me because they let me see in Ultraviolet and in Infrared- the invisible domains of light spectra.

Really useful technological leap!

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to that, it is easier to see in B&W. No need to visualise the picture or there isn't a need for monochrome filter like the Wratten #90 filter to see in B&W.

Personally, live view and EVF are extremely useful to me because they let me see in Ultraviolet and in Infrared- the invisible domains of light spectra.

Really useful technological leap!

Good point!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of us do not put ANYTHING at all in front of our eyes to see the world.
    Ok, then maybe just those who do use optical glasses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally, I prefer a choice of technology in the market place. Which all the advance in technology, there never has been a perfect solution. The EVF/Monitor with my m4/3 camera is really nice, the optical viewfinder in my Pentax 645D is also really nice. I would not want to reverse those options though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

* Yes IF EVF was as large as I get from MF viewfinders - I think it would kill off mirror systems- bring it on!

Pete
    If you want a larger EVF, this little contraption that I made provides a view larger than my Hasselblad's viewfinder, and it folds up pretty small. The resolution isn't all that bad, either, although the Sony EVF has higher resolution, so I prefer it.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25164

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the link Doug - very nice hot-rod mod there! I am waiting for Nex7 deliveries down here in Oz and will definately add this functionality.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sure, thing, Pete. That contraption works surprisingly well, although there is some distortion at the edges, which never bothered me much.

Something did just hit me, though. The Nex-5 has notches below the LCD that you clip that hood into, but, for some reason, those notches aren't on the Nex-5N, and I don't know if they're on the Nex-7. You may need another hood that attaches a different way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

'You see the real thing.'

You mean like the real thing you see in perfect detail *before* you bring your eye to the EVF to take the photo you have chosen to take?

The same EVF which has the potential to show you exactly, according to your carefully selected settings, the ex-camera image that is the result of all the effort in the first place - which is what you presumably took the photo to obtain.

It is a potent technology as compared with merely imagining what the camera will deliver...At the pace Sony is innovating the technology, EVFs and associated tech will soon be good enough for most photographers.

It will definitely soon beat squinting at dim, lame OVFs that lack focus aids because they are now so AF-dependent that they need the crutch of micro-adjust/LV to deliver accurately at all. OVFs are good for framing the composition and not a great deal more, and only then if 100% VF. My opinion anyway, FWIW.