The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-7 and TTL flash

V

Vivek

The small Sony HVL20-F20AM does a fabulous job for indoor portraits with fast lenses. The same flash also works fine as a wireless commander.

Both very, very good! :thumbs:

It took a while for me to find the flash compensation settings- hidden in Brightness and Color section.

It appears that there are no possibilities to assign a custom key function for flash compensation. Only the flash modes can be assigned to a soft key. :(

I wonder if a firmware update can address that?

I would also very much like to see a more versatile but compact flash from Sony for the NEX-7.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

The degree with which the tiny HVL-20 can be controlled even for close-ups is quite impressive. Here is an example.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

NEX-7, Olympus pen F Macro 38/3.5, HVL-20, 1/160s, f/3.5

The cork was entirely entirely by the flash light.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Jono.

No, remnants from the New years.:eek: Although, it did call for a new one. :)

I knew the Maxxum flash system was superb. I did not know that Sony continues in that tradition and even with manual focus lenses (Nikon's iTTL only works with their CPU enabled lenses)! :thumbs:

S

shelt59

Vivek, you CAN assign flash compensation to a key. I have Custom Key Settings | Right Key Setting | Flash Comp set. This is the click on the right side of the rear dial.

Also, I have flash mode assigned to the lower left button. I have the AF/MF selector switch set to magnify for MF.

Hope this helps!button to

peterv

It appears that there are no possibilities to assign a custom key function for flash compensation. Only the flash modes can be assigned to a soft key. :(
Hi Vivek,
no, you can assign a custom key function for flash compensation:

From the Set Up Menu choose:

Custom Key Settings
Right Key Setting
Flash Comp

Very handy, I use it all the time with flash.

jonoslack

Hi Vivek,
no, you can assign a custom key function for flash compensation:

From the Set Up Menu choose:

Custom Key Settings
Right Key Setting
Flash Comp

Very handy, I use it all the time with flash.
Thank You Peter
now all you have to do is to tell me how to set the shutter speed max and min for auto ISO and I'll be in heaven1

peterv

You're welcome, sorry to tell you I can't give a positive answer to the auto ISO. Looked it up in the manual again, but it's just not there.

Would auto ISO in combination with Program shift be helpful? It's actually quite fast with the Tri Navi...

V

Vivek

Peter, Thanks a bunch! :) Very useful!

I now have quite a few combinations to play with and settle down to.