The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX focus in dimn light

Paratom

Everytime when the Nex switches from a spot AF to the large area due to dimn light I find it just to be luck if your subject is in focus (often its the background).
So how do you solve this problem? Use MF and focus peaking? Or allways use the 24/1.8 when light gets dimmer?

I dont find AF so problematic, its the (lack of) control as soon as the AF area becomes large. As long as you dont photograph a flat subject all over the frame the AF becomes near useless in such conditions.

V

Vivek

Thomas, Thankfully with only 3 primes (16/2.8, 24/1.8 and the 30/3.5 Macro) there isn't much to comment on the AF performance.

Lowlight, I use MF with magnification (focus assist) for focus. Faster than AF.

This (lowlight AF) performance isn't all that bad. I remember how Nikon D300 hunted in low light. That was PDAF (albeit dated).

Simply disable the focus assist light in dimn light. Sounds absurd, I know, but if you do so, the AF area remains small. Works for me ...

And when AF locks, you can override with MF for fine tuning, if there is need for it.

Paratom

Simply disable the focus assist light in dimn light. Sounds absurd, I know, but if you do so, the AF area remains small. Works for me ...

And when AF locks, you can override with MF for fine tuning, if there is need for it.
Thanks! I didnt know that and will check it out.

The NEX 7 handling is outstanding. I've owned m4/3 cameras (GF1 and E-P2), X100 and the NEX 5N and the 7 leaves them all in the dust.

Great tip on the AF illuminator - I read this post because the large AF area with the illuminator was my single peeve about the camera. Now it isn't.

Paratom

how did it work out and do you guys like the handling of the NEX 7 so far?
The tip with switching the focus illuminator off helps.
The IQ of the Nex7 is really very good.
I still sometimes prefer an optical viewfinder and find the menue system and user interface of the Nex7 not totally logic and miss some functions like more auto iso setting, bracketing options.
But I have had this "problem" of too many functions/buttons/menues with allmost all mirrorless cameras.
I think they try to be a combination of "pro"-user interface and consumer interface without totally achieving either.
Personally I still prefer the M9 rangefinder over the nex for most applications, BUT if I didnt have/couldnt afford an M9 the Nex would be probably my replacement for it.