The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens experience with Sony Nex-5 and Nex-7

B

bigdog50

Which Leica M lenses will work well on the 7 and is worth buying compared to the competition? I'm interested in a normal and wide angle range, thus the 'lux 24, 35 or Super Elmar. Which give the best and safest performance on the 7? Or should I just go CV35 Nokton or C/Y Zeiss?

Also, do any of the Biogon lenses work OK on the 7?

B

bigdog50

Which 'lux lens works well on the 7 without smearing or bad color casts? Is the 24 worth buying, or the 35?

fotoingo

Subscriber Member
The 35 Summilux Asph Non-Fle and the 50 Summilux Asph give you only a slight colour cast in the edges. So they are okay to use. I dont know about the 35 Lux Fle.
Greets.

B

bigdog50

Any pictures of the 24 or 35 mm 'lux shot with nex-7 in color?

Also, I found this: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/...the-sony-nex-7-and-leica-glass-by-ashwin-rao/

These shots look good with the NEX and the 'lux 35 FLE, no? Any issues you can see?

So, is it worth buying a Leica M lens for the NEX-7 over the competition? Is there a loss of sharpness or just a slight color cast issue?

I assume the 24 inch 'lux is out.

The 21 shows promise though with only a little color cast, does it also lose sharpness badly as well?

What about other Leica lenses, like the 'cron series, elmarit, elmar?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Joining this excellent thread.

I am using the CV 35/2.5 on the 5N, waiting for the NEX 7 to appear. I can't see from this thread how the CV 35/2.5 might work on the NEX 7—any here tried it? I love its form factor, even though it's a bit slow.

Or are there other recommendations for a 45–50 EFOV lens for this camera?

V

Vivek

Sony E 50/1.8 with OSS. Perhaps the the best 50mm on the NEX-7.

Others in the 40-50FL range, a long list (all on NEX-7).

Olympus pen F 40/1.4. The smallest and the sharpest.
Olympus pen F 42/1.2. That f/1.2 smoothness.
Olympus OM 50/1.2. The lightest f/1.2. Really gorgeous rendering.

Fujinon-TV 50/1.4. Very sharp.
Fujinon-TV 50/1.2. Smooth OOF at f/1.2. Very sharp by f/1.4.

Canon 50/0.95. One of the sharpest lenses I have (when stopped down to f/1.4). Special OOF rendering.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello Vivek,

I was not clear; what I am looking for is recommendation for 45-50 EFOV, so lenses in the 28–35mm range.

That Oly Pen F 40/1.4 looks interesting though...

:)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Ha ha!

I have pre-prdered that lens (B&H); not sure when it will arrive. I have the MS Perar, too, but not yet sure of just hoe sharp it is; am testing on the 5N right now. Cheers, and if you do find any other decent tiny lenses, please post!

is there a small Oly 35?

Alexiz

I can confirm that and add :
Sony NEX 16mm f2,8 - Good on 5N but magenta corners on the 7.
Leica 24mm Elmar-M - Good on 5N but magenta corners on the 7.
Greetings everybody,
thanks for the extremely useful thread here (especially for someone like myself who contemplates moving from 5n to 7). I am curious about the performance of the SEL 18-200 on the NEX-7, in the light of the above. Does the lens also exhibit the magenta corners effect in its wider range (~18-~24-ish) when put on the NEX-7?
Regards,
Alex

douglasf13

Hi, Kit. I've also decided to give the Nex-7 a shot. My ZM 35/2.8, 35/2 and even the 50/1.5 all show varying levels of color shift on the camera.

My Nokton 35/1.4 does not show shift, but, like on the 5N, it has so much field curvature that the corners are never even that sharp at infinity at f8, unless you focus the center past infinity.

I'm currently using the Contax G 35. There is no color shift to speak of, and while not as technically sharp across the frame as my ZM 35s, it's a nice rendering lens. The G 35 is essentially identical to the 35 Summicron IV, but with Zeiss coatings. If you can stand a little longer focal length, the G 45 is the Nex-7 is about the sharpest digital camera-lens combo that I've ever used. Amazing lens. Eventually, I plan on getting these lenses converted to M mount, so that I don't have to deal with the fussy focusing rings on he adapters.

The CV 35/2.5 has had issues in the past on Nex, so I'm not real confident of how it would perform on the 7. It looks to me that the Sigma 30 is likely one of the best options around for a Nex standard. I'll probably get one, too.

Joe S

"If you can stand a little longer focal length, the G 45 is the Nex-7 is about the sharpest digital camera-lens combo that I've ever used. Amazing lens. Eventually, I plan on getting these lenses converted to M mount, so that I don't have to deal with the fussy focusing rings on he adapters. "

Who does the conversion and any idea on the cost?

V

Vivek

I think monza (Robert) should detail the conversion and what it entails. I believe you get a helicoid in the conversion process.

douglasf13

Yep, you send the lens to Robert and he sends it to Hawk's, who adds a helicoid and rangefinder coupling. So, it is essentially just like using any other M lens on NEX. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the price is $450, so it isn't exactly cheap. Still, despite their recent price hikes, Contax G lenses are such a good deal compared to their Leica counterparts that the money still seems worth it, to me (and I bought my G 35 when they were still only a few hundred bucks or less.)

I'm in the midst of selling a ton of stuff to potentially fund converting my G 35, 45 and 90. $1500 sounds like a lot of money to do this conversion on 3 lenses, but I figure I can always get my money out of them, should I decide to sell the converted lenses. Heck, I could even make a profit...but I don't plan on selling them.

douglasf13

FWIW, here is a CornerFix profile shot for the G35 on the NEX-7 at f2 focused to infinity. Looks pretty good, to me. Granted, I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if the Sigma 30 is actually a little sharper across the frame, even at smaller apertures, because of the design. As I mentioned above, my ZM 35/2 is quite a bit sharper than the G 35 across the frame, but it has very noticeable color shift, and the G 35 is a nice size. I can always use the G 45 for extreme sharpness:

pegelli

I was allowed to borrow a Voigtlander 12/5.6 for a weekend to test on my Nex 5

Pretty happy with the results. Here's some pictures of why life in France is so enjoyable :)

Exif inside

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Pegelli, that's my favourite lens on the GXR; great to see it working so well for you. And those images make me feel—hungry!

pegelli

Thanks guys, unfortunately the owner wanted the lens back and the only thing that's standing inbetween me and one is the courage to push the "order now" button on the Camera Quest site :banghead:

Still wishing to maybe find a cheaper second hand option, but so far no luck