The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-7: Mostly brilliant (plus a couple of goofs)

4season

Still getting to know my NEX-7 and my initial impression is overwhelmingly positive. But what was Sony thinking with the SD card slot? You practically need tweezers to extract a card from it. And did the silver Video button really need to be located right where it can be accidentally pressed by a thumb?

For now I've simply added a bit of tape to my SD cards to serve as a "handle". I used polyimide (aka Kapton) tape for the task. It won't become brittle or gooey with age or heat exposure, which is why it's used a lot in notebook computers.

RF Teflon-Mylar Electrical Insulation & Sealing Tapes

Hosermage

I don't have a NEX-7, but doesn't most SD card slots work the same, like if you press it down hard, it'll bounce back to give you enough room to grab on?

pophoto

I don't have a NEX-7, but doesn't most SD card slots work the same, like if you press it down hard, it'll bounce back to give you enough room to grab on?
I have the Nex 5 and 5n and work the same way with the PUSH bounce, I would have thought the 7 worked the same way too!

V

Vivek

I have the Nex 5 and 5n and work the same way with the PUSH bounce, I would have thought the 7 worked the same way too!
+1

It is not a "goof'. Just learn to push it right. Don't pull the card out anytime. You risk damaging the camera! No need for taping it.

4season

Yes I know about pushing it in, but my fingers don't have much traction on the slippery edges of the card, and I can't grasp it in the normal way because the door is blocking it.

philber

Reading this post, I just re-checked my NEX. Getting the SD card out works. Yes, the card is a little bit to far "in" to be totally easy, but not so much that it gives me problems. I have average hands/fingers