The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX7 + Metz MS1

V

Vivek

Very nice!

While it is good to know that the TTL works, I wish there will be smaller versions of such flashes.

hot

I don't know if TTL works :rolleyes: I use it as slave/learn :p

METZ MS1 price is ~ 10x (!!!) price of MeiKe FC100
METZ MS1 only has a small flash (3cm!) left side and right side. NOT ring flashes!

NEX7 + Tokina 18-200 + MeiKe FC100 (Canon mount)

MeiKe FC100 ... $34 = €26 incl.ship. from China
7 steps of power (32 LEDS), left, right, 7 adapter rings for lenses

without flash

distance ca. 100cm

MeiKe used as flash light

MeiKe used as ring light

V

Vivek

I have that Meike LED "ring flash". Neat technology (AFAIK, the one and only LED flash that can do this) and it can actually flash besides the continuous light! I do not like the light (low CRI) it puts out.

The Metz MS1 twin flash is on many occasions better than a ring. I may buy one of those and reconstruct it in a smaller package.

AnselAndy

Also how is the MeiKe power pack attached to the NEX camera? Is it just a mechanical mount or is there an electrical connection?

Thanks again.

hot

IR clamp is a "clampable" infrared filter (it's delivered with Metz, but you can get it separate for some €'s) which avoids light from built in flash, which works only as trigger for Metz
Meike you only get for Canon, Nikon .. so I use a cheap adapter ($5) standard-to-Sony. Of course there is electrical connection.
If you use Meike as ringlight, then you do not need any connection - only for flash light use.

eBay: adapter flash sony -mount

alphaman

The MeiKe shouldn't really be compared to the Metz as the Metz is a far better specified piece of equipment. The greater price is reflected in the better spec. That said, the MeiKe (and other similar budget macro flash) are perfectly worthy of serious use.

I got the Metz when it was about the only independent macro flash available for the Sony camera and so far I'm very happy with it. Given the same need today, I'd have a much greater choice and might have gone for something cheaper such as the Marumi DRF 14 S.