The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-7 problem with CZ85

waardij

As a result of a discussion on the Photozone camera forum, I tried the CZ85 on both the NEX-5n and the 7. it turns out that the 7 is not only problematic with symetrical designs that have a short focal length, but also at longer focal lengths with a wide aperture.
On the NEX-5n the CZ85 is close to perfect (at 1.4). Sharp from corner to corner. It is getting even better when you stop down a bit, also because there is a lot of LoCA wide open, but it looks very impressive. With the NEX-7 there is a clear bending of the focal plane in the extreme corners and even when focused in the extreme corners, there is less detail than with the 5N.
At say f2.8-f4 the effect is mostly gone.

In practice I do not think it is very important, when I use de CZ85 close to open, it is on 3d subjects with little light. The extreme corners are usualy not important in that case. Still, there is something strange with this sensor.

V

Vivek

What mount is this CZ 85? Is it a Planar or a Tessar?

I have no such problems with my c-mount Fujinon lenses 50/1.2, 50/1.4 or the 75/1.8 on the NEX-7!
Nothing strange with the sensor at all!

Added: No worries with my 60/1.5 or 70/2 pen F lenses either.

waardij

Appraisal
It is the alpha mount. Not sure what design it is.
I have no other lenses with this wide an aperture that is sharp in the corner wide open, so cannot try it on anything else.

Terry

Isn't it simply a straight Alpha mount?

Which adapter are you using the first without a mirror or the new one with a mirror?

waardij

the one without a mirror. Klaus, of Photozone, tried both adapters and did not notice any difference. the same adapter was used on both the 5n and the 7.
In general I do not think that adapter can have anything to do with the result. I focused in the corner itself, so alignment etc. are exclude from the comparison.
I added two crops, showing the extreme upper left corner of the images exposure was more or less equalized in the lightroom. In both cases the focus (manual, maximum magnification), is made in the corner itself. the crops are 100% and at f1.4.

douglasf13

The Sony ZA 85/1.4 is a Planar design.

Klaus is also finding issues with other lenses on the NEX-7, like the new 16-50/2.8. He exchanged his copy of the 7 for a new one, and it has the same issues, too. links:

Photozone - Sony NEX 7 -

Photozone - Sony NEX 7 - 2nd sample results -

Starting with the first prototype NEX-7 shots that we saw in early fall, there have been a ton of questions about how the NEX-7 handles various lenses. Bjorn's test of the ZM 35/2 on the 5N vs. the 7 showed me that there is something real going on here, and more and more issues are showing up as the camera makes it into user's hands. It seems like there must be some kind of astigmatism happening at the corners of the sensor.

That being said, I'd imagine that the NEX-7 corner issues may not be a big deal to some...and may not even be noticeable without directly comparing them with images from the 5N, which seems to do a better job with evenness across the whole field.

V

Vivek

This is why I would like to see more real E-mount prime lenses. All the E primes thus far (barring the 16/2.8) are doing well on the NEX-7.

philber

The only lenses I have problems with on the 7 are WAs. No issues with Contax G 45,Leica R 60, Leica R 35-70 f:3.5, Contax G 90.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Starting with the first prototype NEX-7 shots that we saw in early fall, there have been a ton of questions about how the NEX-7 handles various lenses. Bjorn's test of the ZM 35/2 on the 5N vs. the 7 showed me that there is something real going on here, and more and more issues are showing up as the camera makes it into user's hands. It seems like there must be some kind of astigmatism happening at the corners of the sensor. . . . . .
I lost my nerve. I've cancelled my Nex 7 and ordered a 5n. Too much of a gamble for me with the variety of lenses that I have to use with it.

Keith

volkerhopf

douglasf13 said:
That being said, I'd imagine that the NEX-7 corner issues may not be a big deal to some...and may not even be noticeable without directly comparing them with images from the 5N, which seems to do a better job with evenness across the whole field.

If this is the case why worry. You would hardly take the same photo with both cameras just to proof a point?

cheers, Volker

douglasf13 said:

If this is the case why worry. You would hardly take the same photo with both cameras just to proof a point?

cheers, Volker
it seems to excite a lot of people. :D

douglasf13

douglasf13 said:

cheers, Volker
The point is that good enough corners to you may not mean good enough corners to me, so we need more 5N vs. 7 comparisons to get a better idea. However, it isn't an issue to those that are satisfied with the 7's corners.

uhoh7

Nex-7 a bridge too far....

I had one ordered twice! TY god they were delayed. First time i just got a 5n. Second delay i just got cold feet :)

This issue is about to explode.

Samples which clearly show the issue would sure be nice.....

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
douglasf13 said:

cheers, Volker
The examples I've seen don't need pixel peeping prowess to pick them out - they glare you in the face, especially the magenta cast. I think many people are so stricken with the other breakthroughs on this camera that they are ignoring the obvious distortions in the IQ.

Keith

V

Vivek

Some just buy the native E mount lenses to use as and when they become available. ;)

BTW, the new Sony FW update for the A77 included something for the 85/1.4 Sony-CZ lens.

I guess a new update for the NEX-7 (+LA-EA2 combo) would be forthcoming.

douglasf13

Nex-7 a bridge too far....

I had one ordered twice! TY god they were delayed. First time i just got a 5n. Second delay i just got cold feet :)

This issue is about to explode.

Samples which clearly show the issue would sure be nice.....
+1

douglasf13

Some just buy the native E mount lenses to use as and when they become available. ;)

BTW, the new Sony FW update for the A77 included something for the 85/1.4 Sony-CZ lens.

I guess a new update for the NEX-7 (+LA-EA2 combo) would be forthcoming.
FWIW, Klaus at Photozone has found that the 30 Macro also performs better in the corners on the Nex-5 compared to the Nex-7, so not all e-mount lenses may be safe, either.

V

Vivek

FWIW, Klaus at Photozone has found that the 30 Macro also performs better in the corners on the Nex-5 compared to the Nex-7, so not all e-mount lenses may be safe, either.
I have no problems with the 30/3.5 macro on my NEX-7. It is not a dog like the 16/2.8 (it was a dog on the NEX-5 as well).