The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX7 + ZA24 F1.8 Zeiss Samples

FlypenFly

There is a lot of money tied up for me in this combination. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

I know there's also a lot of interest in this combo as well so I thought I would share my experiences.

From reviews on sites and forums, it seems to me that people are thinking that the lens is optimized for close range use and sucks for landscapes.

I'm inclined to agree.

On this first day of shooting, I notice quite A lot of purple fringing and chromatic abberation wide open even in the center if there are bright highlight edges with a strong contrasting background. When Stopped down to F5+, center CA improves a lot but the corners remain somewhat softer and CA never goes away completely.

From my initial impressions though, this lens has the Zeiss look. Think of it as a weaker smaller autofocus Zeiss 35mm F2 Zx. The wide open center rendering is remarkably similar, high contrast with high saturation. Actual resolution is above average but not spectacular. That improves when stopping down but the contrast is really rather exceptional.

AF is fast enough but not ZA 24-70 SSM fast. I'm still a little confused on how NEX does autofocusing, should read the manual. It seems to sometimes to go huge screen box and sometimes small boxes...?

Center sharpness and contrast is good even wide open. It only improves slightly when stopping down. Objects have high saturation and have a dimensionality to them.

Files out of the camera feel like they need very little post besides fixing the CA if you had branches against a white sky.

I can't wait to shoot it more. Tomorrow is the New York Public Library.

Paratom

I really like this lens - even though for my shooting a 35mm lens would be even more usefull.
I really like the image with the yellow wall on the side.

Regarding focus and size of the "Box" - I had this problem as well.
Switch off focus assist lamp and switch to spot AF and it will be allways a small box.

johnnygoesdigital

I like the 35mm FL too. Is there moire/aliasing in the silver cup at the bar/counter photograph? There's so many textures and colors in NYC.
Also, no distortion that's obvious either...nice.

Unrelated to IQ but it has to be said that the balance and heft of this combination is damn near perfect. I can't stop picking up the camera just to feel it in hand - always a good sign.

FlypenFly

I'm beginning to think more and more this is a keeper.

THESE ARE UNPROCESSED UNEDITED PHOTOS.

Well, except for the two that has obvious B&W and Sepia conversions.

I haven't enhanced contrast or black levels or even removed any CA at all.

I'm a little bit astonished at standard settings and wide open the files are this good. No noise reduction was applied either.

I'm sure once I actually go through my process with them they'll be about 40% better but I just wanted to share what you might see straight out of the camera!

Rich M

I'm beginning to think more and more this is a keeper.

I haven't enhanced contrast or black levels or even removed any CA at all.

I'm a little bit astonished at standard settings and wide open the files are this good. No noise reduction was applied either.

I'm sure once I actually go through my process with them they'll be about 40% better but I just wanted to share what you might see straight out of the camera!
I am in agreement with you......very nice photos. Just having autofocus is a bonus...and very acceptable bokeh. Issues some have had about low light focussing with this lens can be minimized with the use of spot focussing and disabling the AF illuminator.

R

FlypenFly

Did some closer up shots today at a few book stores.

Tried to do mostly close ups with available light and mostly wide open unless DoF issues were a problem.

jfirneno

There is a lot of money tied up for me in this combination. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

I know there's also a lot of interest in this combo as well so I thought I would share my experiences.
FpF:

Really liked all your NYC photos, especially the NYPL shots. As a native New Yorker in self-imposed perpetual exile they summoned up such an unexpected wave of nostalgia I was unable to move on from them. That lens did a good job on that close-up of the fence ornament with the lights OOF.

Regards,
John