The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Street (images)

FlypenFly

Zeiss 21mm F2.8 zf.2 Leitax adapted
Sony A850
1/1000
F4 (?)

While stomping around the Lorraine area of France near the German and Swiss borders, I was experimenting using the Zeiss 21mm as more of a street lens than the landscape lens it is known for. While packing up my gear to put back in the car, I was lucky enough to capture this moment.

I was having some exposure metering problems that day and this particular file required some work in bringing back some of the highlights in the far background. The information on the sky was completely lost unfortunately but for this composition wasn't a big deal.

Besides the action going on in the picture, I find the shadow of the figure projects the mood of this scene. I also find that the figure approaching the viewer works because it seems 90% of the street photography posted on the internet is the back of people's heads. That rarely works and is usually a product of a timid photographer.

Overall, I am pleased with the 21mm point of view as it captures far more of the environment than the traditional 35mm view that is typical of b&w street photography. The unusual field of view for this style of photography also gives me it a less tired more fresh look on this genre.

V

Vivek

it seems 90% of the street photography posted on the internet is the back of people's heads.
You might have noticed that % is far less here. ;)

Keep them coming! :)

This thread is really getting to be superb, thanks to all the lovely contributions! :thumbs:

jonoslack

Hi There Vivek - the guy with the dog in the basket doesn't look pleased!

I'm not sure that I really understand what 'street' signifies . . . Does this count as street?

or even this one?

all the best

mazor

haha Vivek, looks like the first pic in your last post the cyclist is not too pleased at being photographed? hehe

V

Vivek

:D

It is the Silver NEX-C3 and a Silver C-V 15/4.5 (my foray in to "retro" :) ). Very noticeable though they are very tiny.

pegelli

haha Vivek, looks like the first pic in your last post the cyclist is not too pleased at being photographed? hehe
I think she was just waving to the photographer :D

Some more from Paris

Dark looks:

Resting

On the steps of Sacre Coeur

I'm glad the only thing they took off were their rucksacks ;)

A big horn

Another "stoeproker"

Yes, you can breathe the air here, and the tap water is safe as well :wtf: