The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What tecniques do you use to focus alt. MF glass on the NEX 7?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I am considering getting a NEX 7 for just one lens, the CV 35/1.7 ASPH. I want a sleek form, carry anywhere camera and lens combo.

The reason I am considering the NEX 7 (rather than the X-Pro1) is that, while there seems to be problems with the NEX 7 and UWA lenses, there do not seem to be any with normal, or near normal lenses. It has a built-in hi-rez finder, and it's small.

I have been trying this same lens on an M8, but because I do not have the finder corrected for my vision, assessment of focussing ease is hard. As well, the M8 us a surprisingly big camera, thickness-wise (and this one's fitted with the grip, too).

So: using this kind of lens on the NEX 7, what are the options, re. focus?

WRT the GXR M module (using the EVF) you have both a magnified mode and a Predator mode (a kind of peaking) on two buttons. Both assists disappear with a half-press, for framing, but I have not found how to move the magnified part of the image to (say) the RHS for portrait-orientation head shots, so a focus-then-recomposes seems necessary.

Please tell me how you use the focussing aids on your NEX 7!

TIA, kl

V

Vivek

Kit, First and foremost- the CV35/1.7- is unlikely to do well on the NEX-7.

Better choices (with the form factor in mind) are the Olympus pen F 38/1.8 or even better 40/1.4. They also focus much closer (0.3m range).

I use the EVF (eye level) or the LCD (waist or overhead) plus the focus magnification for focusing. Nothing beats that.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello there, my friend

Why do you think the CV 35/1.7 will not do well on the NEX 7? I really want an EFOV of 50, or slightly less—so are there any other lenses you cold recommend besides the two above, which really are a little tight (long) for me as an all-around lens. As well, I was planning to use a Hawke's adapter, so the min. focus distance is not a problem.

so, just focus magnification? and can that magnified bit be moved within the EVF (say, for portraits)? Cheers, and thanks, kl

V

Vivek

Kit, it is easy. The spot can be moved to any corner or anywhere you wish and the focus enlargement is a one touch button. The tri navi dials for moving the spot and the enlargement with one of the buttons you can customize- all without having to take your eye off the EVF.

Leica mount lenses (especially 35mm and shorter FL) are likely a problem with fuzzy corners and color shifts on the NEX-7. If an improved NEX-7 comes with a sensor similar to the NEX-5N, the story will be different.

BTW, that HVL-F20AM is a perfect match for the NEX-7! :)

alphaman

I use the 35mm/2 Zeiss for Contax G in my NEX 7 and find it quite easy to operate. For stopped down shooting, say f5.6 I find the focus peaking fine (without using the magnified view), so for every day stuff it's absolutely easy.

For critical focusing at f2, I find it necessary to use the focus magnification facility which I have assigned to the button on the AF/MF switch as this is easy to get to and goes back to full view as soon as it's released.

I would say that while the eyepiece is a great boon to photographers like us, it needs to be calibrated to your eyesight (dial to the right of the eyepiece), otherwise you'll find critical focussing gives you eye-strain pretty quickly (in my experience anyway).

I think that you'll absolutely love the NEX 7!

The Zeiss 90/2.8 for Contax G is also a great little gem!

JimBuchanan

The only thing I can add to the above, as I also have the AF/MF button programmed to focus assist, is that I use the direction buttons on the wheel to move the focus box. That could change with all the options for customization.

I will say that my right hand could use a grip extension because the grip is short to begin with and alot of control functions are done with the thumb which positions the hand down further and only the thumb, index and middle fingers grasp the camera grip. I remember an old film camera that had a ball type grip that screwed into the body that could work in this case. However, the battery door is in the way.

aleksanderpolo

Hi Kit, on GXR-M, when magnification is engaged, pressing the adj lever allow you to move the magnifying box, if I am not mistaken.

jonoslack

HI Kit
Focus peaking is much the easiest way of focusing 3rd party lenses on the NEX7. It needs some practice, but works really well - even in very low light and at wide aperture (I had great success with the Noctilux at 0.95)

Focus magnification is excellent - but in my opinion only when using a tripod (otherwise the subject has moved before you can zoom out and compose, and even if the subject hasn't, you will have done!

all the bet

Kit, First and foremost- the CV35/1.7- is unlikely to do well on the NEX-7.
Leica mount lenses (especially 35mm and shorter FL) are likely a problem with fuzzy corners and color shifts on the NEX-7. If an improved NEX-7 comes with a sensor similar to the NEX-5N, the story will be different.
have any samples of the 35 ultron on the nex-7? I'm waiting for my 7 to try with my ultron.

here are some shots by jono - leica lens under 35mm (WATE) on the nex-7.
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/sony/33072-fun-nex-7-a-14.html#post382744

douglasf13

have any samples of the 35 ultron on the nex-7? I'm waiting for my 7 to try with my ultron.

here are some shots by jono - leica lens under 35mm (WATE) on the nex-7.
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/sony/33072-fun-nex-7-a-14.html#post382744
The only 35mm rangefinder lens that I know of, so far, that doesn't exhibit edge issues on the 7 is the large CV 35/1.2, but we'll have to wait until more people get the camera in their hands. The WATE is not an applicable comparison, as it is a rather retrofocus design.

douglasf13

35/2 Planar, Contax G. Reports elsewhere on this forum - and even in this thread;) - show no issue on the NEX 7
It's tough to say. It's still a pretty symmetrical lens, and it performs better on my 5N than my 5. I'd love to see some 5n vs. 7 comparisons with the G.

Last edited:

jonoslack

The only 35mm rangefinder lens that I know of, so far, that doesn't exhibit edge issues on the 7 is the large CV 35/1.2, but we'll have to wait until more people get the camera in their hands. The WATE is not an applicable comparison, as it is a rather retrofocus design.
I thought that both of my Leica 35's seemed fine (35 'lux asph and 35 summarit). But perhaps I wasn't critical enough.

V

Vivek

Jono, You are talking about modern design Leica lenses. For that matter, how did you find your 21 Lux on the 7?

jonoslack

Jono, You are talking about modern design Leica lenses. For that matter, how did you find your 21 Lux on the 7?
Hi Vivek
I know you're right - I only mentioned it as Douglas implied that there were problems with all 35s
I don't have a 21 'lux I'm afraid, but the 24 did good (as per LL results).
The WATE is also fine.

. . . but as you say, they're all modern designs.

all the best

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek
I know you're right - I only mentioned it as Douglas implied that there were problems with all 35s
I don't have a 21 'lux I'm afraid, but the 24 did good (as per LL results).
The WATE is also fine.

. . . but as you say, they're all modern designs.

all the best
Hi Jono, I was thinking of the 24/1.4 and typed 21. :eek:

There must have been a reason for Leica to have modified its designs....

JimBuchanan

My Summicron 35 looks great as well.
At first glance, my 35mm Summicron ASPH seemed to work fine with the NEX7, but more than the trace amounts of magenta corners, I'm concerned with edge sharpness.

An otherwise perfect lens on the M8, I'm getting sharpness falloff from center on the NEX7. I don't know if the high pixel count is being hard on the 100% crops, or the 35 Summicron has mild field curvature, or there is something to the Zeiss Nasse Distagon paper that describes the sensor filter thickness shifts focus to greater distances at the edges thereby appearing to be field curvature. At any rate, I can sharpen the edges a little by focusing for the edges which is back from infinity a bit.

jonoslack

Hi Jono, I was thinking of the 24/1.4 and typed 21. :eek:

There must have been a reason for Leica to have modified its designs....
I think the last of the old designs was probably the 28 elmarit (which was released with the M8). . . . I'm sure the work they did on that suggested to them that very steep angles of light were not a fab idea with digital sensors.

all the best