Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sigma 30mm f2.8 DN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sigma 30mm f2.8 DN

Yeah, that Sony 50 is relatively large compared to that nice little 45. Granted, the 50 has OSS built in. I like Olympus' newer approach of thinning the lens barrel down a few millimeters past the mount. That looks nice.

Not really sure where a plus/minuses topic should go??

FWIW, here are some more good size comparisons from flickr user foxfoto_archives: LINK

I'm a little surprised that it looks like the Sigma DP1 Merrill isn't much smaller than the NEX-7 with essentially the same Sigma lens on it. That pic shows the kit zoom on the NEX-7, which is a solid 15-20mm longer than the Sigma 19.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, wonder why the OM-D has a hump, its not like there is a need for a prism for an OVF.

On saying that, the 5n EVF can articulate upwards and be a vertical finder. The OM-D cannot. My personal favorite position for the EVF is about 45 degrees up.

I am for a thread for the plus and minus for 5n. I dare say there will be more plus than minus

Post Thanks / Like

Nice lens for $200. A recent picture using the Nex-7 (at ISO 500):

Anil
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've just got my 30mm and to be honest I'm not too impressed.

The focus seems to fail to lock on quite often, even in good light. The focus "box" doesn't glow green on subjects that I would normally expect it to focus on easily, I end up pressing the shutter release repeatedly without result and thus missing the shot.

However if I turn the camera off and on again or take the lens off and remount it, it suddenly works ... !

This doesn't happen with my Sony lenses.

Also it wakes up very slowly either when first turned on or when the camera has gone to sleep.

Have I got a duff sample or is this a common experience?

On the good side - it is a little gem optically (if I can get it to work).

Post Thanks / Like

Any help with the last post? Anyone?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Just got the lens and I am trying to check its suitability for my use on the NEX-7.

A few words on the lens: Very nice exterior! The focus grip is far better than any of Sony's primes. Quite compact and makes a nice fit. The mount is a little too snug. This might change once used a few times. There is a very noticeable rattle while handling the lens- as if something is shifting back and forth inside. There is some noise while it auto focuses too. Not very objectionable for still, have not checked how that would be while videoing. Given that this is the cheapest E prime thus far and comes with a 3 year warranty from Sigma, no worries at all.

Alphaman, It might get better with use. The fit as I noted in my first post, is a bit too tight in the beginning. I do not find this lens to be slow focus compared to the Sony lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I have persisted a little with this lens and it seems to have improved, or perhaps I have just compensated for it a little.

The focusing situation seems to have more or less "righted itself" and how I can get it to focus accurately when I want it to but it is very slightly slower than the Sony lens I have and so I notice it. I had accidentally left the NEX7 (with the Sigma attached) switched on overnight and then it had improved - can't see why, but it had .

When the lens is (very rarely) unable to focus and locks up I have to focus on something else and then reposition myself to the original subject again and "hey presto" it works. its a funny little feature, perhaps cured with a lens firmware update sometime (if Sigma does such a thing)?

I don't have the reported "rattle" - which is good - but perhaps that's what's wrong with this lens - it isn't noisy enough!!

It is a lovely, lovely little lens otherwise, pin sharp and it has a great 3D look to the images and the price is also a great bonus. All in all a keeper despite my doubts earlier.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nothing rattles when it is attached to the body and the body is powered on. Turn the camera off and give it a gentle shake to feel and hear the rattle.

Post Thanks / Like

Alphaman how slow is the sigma 30mm 2.8 to start up, especially compared to Emount Sony lens.

was considering one of these, appart from AF, is there any real advantage whne I already have the 40mm f1.4 penf?

Post Thanks / Like

mazor, the difference is: Sony start up = approx 3 seconds and Sigma start up = approx 9 seconds.

In a way it's splitting hairs and in a way it's irritating, however I've learned to live with it.

I wouldn't necessarily let it put you off getting one as optically its a very good lens and unless your shooting style demands very quick responses, I think its more of a minor issue than a major one.

UPDATE: see my next post!
    Last edited by alphaman; 25th May 2012 at 01:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just tested my Sigma 30 on my Nex-7 several times, and it comes on in 3-4 seconds every time. I even tried removing the lens and taking the battery out, and it was still around 5-6 seconds. I wonder if our lenses are different, or if it's a camera setting difference?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what the matter is with my lens. It certainly isn't working as well as I expected.

I took it out this morning after my most recent post and had it fail to "lock on" to some quite ordinary, well lit subjects that were within the normal focusing distances (ie not within 30 cm) and it would not focus at all. I then tried the switching on and off routine described earlier and this did not fix it. I finally got it to work by repeatedly tapping the shutter release and "hey presto" it worked. This is quite obviously not the way it should be!

My Sony lenses work as they should, so the camera is not the problem (nor the settings either, imo).

As to the start up time, 9 seconds is almost twice the time yours takes so I think this is a duff lens and so I'm sending it back for a refund or replacement. It may be cheap but it still has to work, grrr!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here, in the EU, Sigma has a 3 year warranty. So, it should be no problem to get a replacement/fix/refund.

Post Thanks / Like

Here we also have a 3 year warranty. I have just spoken to the supplier and arranged a refund as they can't supply a new one to replace it (no stock!). I think I'm going to try to get the Zeiss 24mm instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman View Post
    I don't know what the matter is with my lens. It certainly isn't working as well as I expected.

I took it out this morning after my most recent post and had it fail to "lock on" to some quite ordinary, well lit subjects that were within the normal focusing distances (ie not within 30 cm) and it would not focus at all. I then tried the switching on and off routine described earlier and this did not fix it. I finally got it to work by repeatedly tapping the shutter release and "hey presto" it worked. This is quite obviously not the way it should be!

My Sony lenses work as they should, so the camera is not the problem (nor the settings either, imo).

As to the start up time, 9 seconds is almost twice the time yours takes so I think this is a duff lens and so I'm sending it back for a refund or replacement. It may be cheap but it still has to work, grrr!

think you must have a faulty lens. I think by the time you power on your camera and finally get it to focus, you could have easily manual focused using legacy lens lol. With in ability to af, you may as well of gotten a fast legacy prime.

Alphaman, which nex are you mating the sigma 30mm to?

Post Thanks / Like

mazor - you're right! Both that the lens is probably faulty and that I can use my Contax G 35/2 with more ease!

I'm using a NEX7 (in answer to your question).

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: I'm going to give Sigma the benefit of the doubt and try another, this time the 19mm. I've just ordered one to try out, should get it on Monday. If is is just as bad then I'll have to wait for the 24mm Zeiss when they finally become available more widely. If pleasantly surprised, I'll try another 30mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Alphaman - let me know if you think the 19mm distorts too much for your taste. I am thinking of returning mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Scenes from Montreal with the 30mm.

more here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    Alphaman - let me know if you think the 19mm distorts too much for your taste. I am thinking of returning mine.

Sure - will do. I don't mind a little distortion as long as it's not too much. We'll see on Monday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's interesting. I don't really find the distortion of the 19mm to be an issue. It only needs a slight correction in raw. I'd imagine the only way to get a similar lens with less distortion would be to use a symmetrical M wide angle, but then you're left with all kinds of issues at the edges.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, i was shooting some scenes with telephone poles so it wasn't really distortion as much as it was the inability to handle the angles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To be fair, i was shooting some scenes with telephone poles so it wasn't really distortion as much as it was the inability to handle the angles.
    Interesting. I'm not sure that I understand.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that I hadn't noticed any more distortion than I would have expected in the sample shots I have seen, but time will tell ... Monday seems a little way off and I'm quite keen to put this lens through it's paces.

Post Thanks / Like

mazor, the difference is: Sony start up = approx 3 seconds and Sigma start up = approx 9 seconds.

In a way it's splitting hairs and in a way it's irritating, however I've learned to live with it.

I wouldn't necessarily let it put you off getting one as optically its a very good lens and unless your shooting style demands very quick responses, I think its more of a minor issue than a major one.

UPDATE: see my next post!
    Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I just tested my Sigma 30 on my Nex-7 several times, and it comes on in 3-4 seconds every time. I even tried removing the lens and taking the battery out, and it was still around 5-6 seconds. I wonder if our lenses are different, or if it's a camera setting difference?
    My NEX-7 and 30 powers up in less than 3 seconds every time.
    ---
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I should have been more clear above. My 3-4 second included locking focus with the AF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Yeah, I should have been more clear above. My 3-4 second included locking focus with the AF.
    thats plenty quick if you ask me. Don't think that is any different from using sony E-mount lens.

Just wish sony would improve their af algorithm especially for tracking, its absolutely useless, and hunts briefly everytime the subject moves closer or further. Single focus seems to be the only useful one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback on the start up time. My copy was certainly a duffer! I sent the offending 30mm back and got a refund. Unless the 19mm I get on Monday proves equally useless (which I don't believe it will), I'll get another 30mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Monday AM, the little 19mm has arrived and its just fantastic!

The issues I suffered with the now obviously faulty 30mm have not shown themselves with this lens and so I will certainly get another 30mm to be a companion to this lens.

The 19mm is a real gem, no flaws have shown themselves as yet except that perhaps the distortion could have been slightly better controlled, but then it is a 19mm. I have to say that my faith in Sigma has been completely restored.

Post Thanks / Like

congrats alphaman, look forward to seeing some pics from this sigma lens.

Also yhas anyone compared the 19mm sigma against the 24mm sony with zeiss 24mm 1.8

Post Thanks / Like

For $199 this lens is RIDICULOUS! This is wide-open, handheld in poor light. No sharpening of note applied. Straight import into LR. I honestly can't tell the difference between this and the Zeiss 24mm as far as detail is concerned. Astonishing! Also, the lens is tiny and quiet. I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

My replacement copy should arrive tomorrow, phew!

They are pretty thin on the ground in the UK, I think we must have gone NEX crazy in this country!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello folks. I'm liking this lens. Here's a view out the window:

Camera: NEX-7, Sigma 30, f8 1/500

Post Thanks / Like

So, to give a true idea of the sharpness of this thing here's a series of pictures I took in a dimly lit bar during an "Opera On Tap" performance here in Seattle.

Now, I THOUGHT I brought my 50mm f/1.8 and the 30mm f/2.8. Turns out I brought the 18-55mm kitlens and the 30mm (seriously, they look waaayy too alike with the hood reversed!) It was way, way too dark for the kit to do anything of interest, so I turned to the Sigma for all my shots. I was about 15-20 feet from the stage, so this was not an ideal situation for a 30mm lens.

I ended up "digitally zooming" by cropping the photos 50-70%. For reference, the third shot is cropped about 30-35% and I took all these from the same seat. I was astonished by how well they turned out. Especially considering I was shooting ISO16-3200 on all of these. This is one of the few times that "pixel peeping" sharpness has a practical application

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Monday AM, the little 19mm has arrived and its just fantastic!

The issues I suffered with the now obviously faulty 30mm have not shown themselves with this lens and so I will certainly get another 30mm to be a companion to this lens.

The 19mm is a real gem, no flaws have shown themselves as yet except that perhaps the distortion could have been slightly better controlled, but then it is a 19mm. I have to say that my faith in Sigma has been completely restored.
    I just got the 30mm and 19mm and have exactly the same problem on the Nex 7. The 19mm is fine, but the 30mm is very erratic. It now won't focus at all unless I go into manual. 30mm going back to the store...
    Mark Tomlinson www.marktomlinson.org.uk/photography
    Sony A900; Nex 7; Fuji X-100; Ricoh GRD II
    Blogs at: alt-digital.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note to thank you, Vivek, for writing so well about the Nex C3 + Sigma 30/2.8 combo and for all of you for making this thread so rich and inviting...

Your encouragement led me to buy one of each from two different sources and they finally came together late last week. Though I've not had time to do much but briefly review the images I made on the weekend, I'm extremely pleased with a big proportion of them. (Even my Dutch Great- Grandmother would be delighted, I'm sure!)

Most of those photos are of an adult baptism and of Commuion the next day, however, so they're pretty personal and I don't really feel free to post them. I'll make some others to share pretty soon, though, and will try to get over my block about posting and do so quickly.

So I think this one's a KEEPER! Once again, I'm grateful to you all...

On a slightly different note, I wonder if any of you have tried putting a Nikonos 35 onto the Nex C3 and, if so, what you thought of the image quality? I'll be going to a windy, wet and sandy part of Michigan pretty soon, have the lens (but no adapter, as yet,) and I should think that that combination (plus a generously sized zip lock bag) should work well in stormy weather.

Thanks for any advice, and all the best,

Irenaeus