The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 30mm f2.8 DN

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Great shots of the mission, Uwe. That lens looks like a great performer.

By the way - you labled the folder as an f1.8 lens on your site, but it's actually an f2.8 lens, correct?

HeavyDuty

Uwe, it's great fun to compare the gallery images you've posted with the NEX-7 and Sigma 30/2.8 against the similar ones you did with the D800 and 105!

Terry

Anyone noticed that when you turn the lens over (not mounted) or tilt the camera when mounted that the internal mechanism in the lens moves around? Mine arrived today. Seems to focus fine but the internal movement is a bit disconcerting.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member
Anyone noticed that when you turn the lens over (not mounted) or tilt the camera when mounted that the internal mechanism in the lens moves around? Mine arrived today. Seems to focus fine but the internal movement is a bit disconcerting.
This is totally normal :mad:
I hope this will be no problem over a longer period of time.

V

Vivek

I mentioned this in the first post here. Normal as Ingo says. I would still transport it in the heavily padded tiny bag that Sigma supplies with this lens.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>This is totally normal

Looks like normal. But why does it happen and why does Sigma find this normal.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member
Good question Uwe but no aswer in sight ;)
I never heard of something like that before on other lenses but I read it has something to do with the focusing mechanism...

HeavyDuty

I've already posted these elsewhere, but these are the first two I've processed from the 30/2.8.

This lens *very* much feels like my beloved Nikkor 45/2.8GN, and it goes beyond the focal length. Has anyone seen an optical formula for the 30/2.8? Is it a Tessar like the GN?

222 S. Main by K J Ford, on Flickr

Hurry! by K J Ford, on Flickr

V

Vivek

I have the GN Nikkor 45/2.8, a 30/3.5 Schneider Xenagon and real CZJ Tessar 3cm f/2.8 lens. All Tessar or clones. Tessars are 4 element 3 group lenses.

The Sigma 30/2.8 DN is VERY different (Specs. see: 30mm F2.8 EX DN HSM - SIGMA CORPORATION ).

Key difference between the Tessars and the Sigma is the telecentricity- ie. wide open or closed down there is little difference in the light fall off as well as with the change in magnification.

Also, the Sigma 30mm is significantly sharper than the GN Nikkor.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
:(

My Sigma 30/2.8 sits here, as does the CV 35/1.7, 35/2.5 and the MS Perar 35/3.5... while the NEX 7 travels Australia-ward.

I bought the Sigma for $199 (B&H) by preordering. This lens is looking like a winner.

I will be very interested to see which of these lenses is the sharpest; I have already satisfied myself that the Perar is the least sharp, but it does render pleasingly, and it is unbelievably small.

jonoslack

Okay Okay - I've just ordered mine from digital Rev - it's half way around the world, so I guess it'll be here on Tuesday!

jonoslack

The secret sauce of Digital Rev -almost instant gratification anywhere around the world.
. . . Yes, except China - we bought a camera for Sim in January to deliver about 300 miles away in China - it was incredibly complicated and took nearly 3 weeks!

douglasf13

:(

My Sigma 30/2.8 sits here, as does the CV 35/1.7, 35/2.5 and the MS Perar 35/3.5... while the NEX 7 travels Australia-ward.

I bought the Sigma for $199 (B&H) by preordering. This lens is looking like a winner.

I will be very interested to see which of these lenses is the sharpest; I have already satisfied myself that the Perar is the least sharp, but it does render pleasingly, and it is unbelievably small.
Glad you got a good copy of the Perar, Kit. Cool lens. I have a feeling that you'll be surprised how sharp the Sigma is.

HeavyDuty

I have the GN Nikkor 45/2.8, a 30/3.5 Schneider Xenagon and real CZJ Tessar 3cm f/2.8 lens. All Tessar or clones. Tessars are 4 element 3 group lenses.

The Sigma 30/2.8 DN is VERY different (Specs. see: 30mm F2.8 EX DN HSM - SIGMA CORPORATION ).

Key difference between the Tessars and the Sigma is the telecentricity- ie. wide open or closed down there is little difference in the light fall off as well as with the change in magnification.

Also, the Sigma 30mm is significantly sharper than the GN Nikkor.
You're right - that ain't no Tessar!

I'm either spoiled with a good copy of the GN or I just haven't subjected it to critical enough use. This lens does great on Tri-X at 8x10 but may be quite different on a high megapixel digital camera. I'll have to try it on my D300 and NEX-7 to see!

V

Vivek

There are no bad copies of GN Nikkors (I have had several over the years). The angle of coverage on an F2 with that is exactly the same as the Sigma 30 DN on the NEX-7 (same deal with the other 30mm Tessars I mentioned). That could be the cause.

HeavyDuty

My current GN is considerably better than my first that I bought in '75. Yes, I do like the FOV of a 45 on full frame which I'm sure is part of my I like my new Sigma. To me, the images also have a similar "feel" (beyond the FOV) despite the different optical formulas.