The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 30mm f2.8 DN

V

Vivek

Just got the lens and I am trying to check its suitability for my use on the NEX-7.

A few words on the lens: Very nice exterior! The focus grip is far better than any of Sony's primes. Quite compact and makes a nice fit. The mount is a little too snug. This might change once used a few times. There is a very noticeable rattle while handling the lens- as if something is shifting back and forth inside. There is some noise while it auto focuses too. Not very objectionable for still, have not checked how that would be while videoing. Given that this is the cheapest E prime thus far and comes with a 3 year warranty from Sigma, no worries at all.

Since Sigma has a bold claim that this lens does not need a hood due to its construction and the coatings, I had to check if that is true.

@f/16

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Out of focus rendering isn't too bad.

@f/2.8

It is quite sharp for the NEX-7 and Sigma's claims about this being a telecentric design, isn't disappointing. Finally, I have a very decent normal lens (for the NEX-7). :):thumbup:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I'd probably buy a Sigma 20/2.8 based on these results, which are more than acceptable given the low cost of the lens. I look forward to seeing more pictures made with this lens.

V

Vivek

Jonathon, 30mm. :) I will post more as and when I take more.

There are couple of more things about this lens:

1. The focus train (or range since it is IF) has a long range but the minimum focus is only 30cm. On manual mode I can focus well past infinity. Wish Sigma had shortened that and made the close focus even closer.

2. CA is much better controlled on this than the other E primes. It isn't devoid of CA (not unexpected due to the internal focus construction). The unit focusing CZJ Dokumar 35/2.8 (originally a high end copy lens) is devoid of CA, in comparison. The slower maximum aperture could be helping this cause but the Sony Zeiss E-Sonnar 24/1.8 and the Sony E 50/1.8 (to a lesser extent) have quite a bit of axial and lateral CA. The color rendition is quite neutral.

Taylor Sherman

Thanks for posting Vivek. Any chance you'll get your hands on the 19mm any time soon? If it turns out to be high-quality (and has no corner issues on the 7) then it could save me a fair chunk of money :)

V

Vivek

A Leitz Elpro VIb suits the 30mm and the closest focus is about 10cm.

NEX-7, Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN, Elpro VIb (not directly attached, pressed to the lens), f/5, 2.5s

These two were manually focused (hand held shots!).

NEX-7, Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN, f/5.6, 1/20s

NEX-7, Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN, f/4.5, 1/25s

alphaman

Looks like a nice lens, although not a Zeiss 24mm, the quality seems decent and it's much smaller and cheaper. Looks like a "no brainer" to me. I'm going to get one soon.

V

Vivek

Thanks for posting Vivek. Any chance you'll get your hands on the 19mm any time soon? If it turns out to be high-quality (and has no corner issues on the 7) then it could save me a fair chunk of money :)
Taylor, The lens isn't even listed as available anywhere. Sigma site indicates the price would be the same as the 30/2.8 DN (189Euros). I was not interested in that lens at all. However, I am really impressed with the build quality of the lens (30mm). Optical quality is also impressive. No idea if I would be able to buy one soon though.

Looking good, especially for the price. Thanks for the samples!
Cheers, Steve! :)

How's the AF speed, nice color.
They all (ie., the 24/1.8, 50/1.8 and this 30/2.8) appear about the same to me. Sorry, I really can not tell.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Vivek,

Thanks for this report - extremely useful for us NEX-7 owners!

Would you mind posting a quick snap of the lens mounted on the NEX-7, so we can see the size?

Mike

V

Vivek

Hi Mike,

Here they are:

The E 50/1.8 (covered in mat black vinyl is on the right)

The one on the left is CJ Dokumar 35/2.8 in a focus helicoid, HVL-F20AM with a external diffuser, 24/1.8 and 50/1.8 flanking the mounted lens.

Even the rear baffle is better built (in my view) than the Sony/Zeiss E primes.
(Sorry about the hot spot/flare. Those come from the filter on the taking lens)

Sigma 30/1.4 mounted on a Nikon D300 vs Sigma 30/2.8 DN on the NEX-7 with the HVL-F20AM flash.

Self portrait of the gear:

(On the camera side, something is missing for my palm. Looking forward to that Gariz case and hoping that it will fill that void.)

Last edited:

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Vivek.

It's certainly a nice compact lens that would fit easily into my small travel bag. I'm going to have to give it a try.

I like the size of the HVL-F20AM flash on the NEX-7 in your photos.

The black vinyl on your 50 - is that black electricians tape or some other type of vinyl tape? Does it leave any residue if/when removed?

V

Vivek

Mike, That is a HEXIS super matte black vinyl wrap (made by 3M for wrapping cars). Very thin and covers that shiny plastic lens well. No worries like the electrician tapes. It is so good (optically) I use it as a baffle material as well.

That HVL20 Flash is a superb match for the NEX-7. Works very well indoors.:)

peterv

Hi Vivek,
thanks for the report. I had my eye on the Sigma's from the day they were announced. Seems like a no brainer at € 184...

Regarding the HVL-F20AM with an external diffuser, you made the diffuser yourself, I guess? Of what material?

As for seeing your images of my beloved hometown, I enjoy them very much, as always, keep 'm comin' :)

V

Vivek

Hi Peter, Thanks. Fantastic city to live in and glad to be a resident here. :) The diffuser was bought through eBay. Only one vendor sells it.

In my attempts to check for flare, after 3 days, I did find it. Against the Sun and the Sun is outside the frame. Still the contrast isn't drastically affected.

NEX-7, Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN, f/3.2.

I think, I will now use a 46 ->37mm step ring as the "hood" all the time. That seems to be effective.

I might add this one for sharpness example (almost all of the samples but for one posted here were handheld snaps!). The focus and exposure were spot on and this is the result.

NEX-7, Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN, f/3.2

peterv

Thanks, it seems this lens is able to render a nice 3D 'pop' when focused at moderately close distances, the lady's blue shirt helps of course but I see it in the gentleman's raincoat as well.

V

Vivek

Thanks, it seems this lens is able to render a nice 3D 'pop' when focused at moderately close distances, the lady's blue shirt helps of course but I see it in the gentleman's raincoat as well.
It is even possible at longer distance and under flat lighting with this lens. Of course, closer distances and directional lighting would help as with many other lenses.

NEX-7, Sigma 30mm f/2.8, f/3.2