The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SLR Magic 23mm 1.7

Rawfa

Hey fellas,

I´ve just picked up from the post office the 23mm 1.7 for NEX that SLR Magic produced. They were supposed to release it for "mass" production but after a not so good review from Steve Huff (BD and sharpness were not optimum when compared to Sonys´24mm 1.8...which costs 3 times more) and some complaints about the price (us$350 at the time of the review) they decided not to go ahead with this lens and just sold the 100 units they had already made. Since I had applied as a beta tester I ended up getting one of these units.
My first impression is that it´s a solid very well built piece of glass. It´s also a pretty compact lens with a 49mm filter thread.
I´m at work right now and I didn´t have any time to test it yet but I will make some tests and post them here as soon as I have some time. I will probably use it for a video shoot this weekend, so I might post some video too.

cheers

Rafa

Rawfa

I´m by far not a pro tester or anything. So here are some very very basic tests:

f1.7

f2

f2.8

f4

f8

f1.7

f2

f2.8

f4

f8

Some quick and boring self portraits at f1.7

As you can see you can get REALLY close with this lens (about 3 fingers from the point of interest)

A crop of the above

These were all very very basic tests, but so far I like this lens. It has one of my favorite FOVs, it´s fast, it allows for semi-macro photography, it´s compact, not too expensive (actually very cheap if compared to Sonys´ 24mm 1.8).

I´ll post "real" pictures when I have some time to take it out. I´ll also post some videos.

pegelli

Rafa, nothing wrong with that lens, you're a lucky guy to have such a rare one.
Is it AF or MF?
Anyway, it'll be a real collectors item soon.

Rawfa

I´ve spent 2 days shooting with this lens for a documentary I was hired as a camera-man/still photographer. So far I absolutely love it. It´s very sharp with a low contrast feel to it that works great for video and allows for a very special photographic look. I´m exhausted from all the long shots during the weekend but I will post some samples as soon as I have some time.
So far I like this lens so much that I´m even scared what will happen if I lose it or break it somehow. Maybe if I post enough pictures and raise enough interest the SLR Magic guys will reconsider and start manufacturing the lens again. :)

Last edited: