The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A77 firmware upgrade released

Jim DE

I installed the 1.05 firmware upgrade today using the link posted on SAR. Very nice software improvements especially in the area of camera responsiveness.

I used the a77 update for MAC link ... Remember if you own a MAC to boot up in 32 bits and not 64bits

grappa

Problem is that the latest operating system from Apple does not allow 32 bit mode. Why do some manufacturers not allow for updates from a memory card ? Sure I can get a Windows machine and do this upgrade but ...

Jim DE

Grappa, you can shut off and then turn your computer on holding the "3" and "2" keys down during the boot up process and be running in 32 rather than 64.

After doing the firmware upgrade you just restart your Mac normally and you are back on 64 bits. Inconvenient but no real big deal. Definitely no reason to have to go find a Windows unit to update.

iiiNelson

I just updated it myself. I don't have much experience with the body to tell the difference between the firmware but improvements are always welcome.

Jim DE

The first thing you will notice is the speed in which it turns off now as compared to before. It turns on faster too and the front and rear wheels reaction time is much quicker.

Lots of new lens profiles added

Flash overexposure issue with ADI eliminated

Just basically bug fixes

grappa

Grappa, you can shut off and then turn your computer on holding the "3" and "2" keys down during the boot up process and be running in 32 rather than 64.

After doing the firmware upgrade you just restart your Mac normally and you are back on 64 bits. Inconvenient but no real big deal. Definitely no reason to have to go find a Windows unit to update.
Not if you have installed Mountain Lion. It's 64 bit only but thanks.

Jim DE

grappa on MAC Mountain Lion you can still access 32 bits by doing the following(I found this on a MAC info site I won't be running Mountain Lion for quite awhile)

"Actually you can still get to a 32-bit kernel. I couldn't get it to work using the 3 and 2 keys held down, but if you put the arch=i386 flag into boot.plist it will boot to a 32-bit kernel."