The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flash Considerations for Nex7

V

Vivek

It is about the range. To fire the 58, you do not even need the HVL-F20AM. You can use the pop up as the remote controller.

With the 2.8Ghz radio controls the range is substantially higher and isn't restricted by any optical obstructions.

Yes, but for the trigger (which allows for TTL when a TTL flash is mounted on it), none of the receivers do not support TTL.

I do not know when this type of things will evolve to have full TTL control.

One of the things that Mike mentioned that is worth noting is that the Phottix set is very well made.

fotografz

Not saying it isn't Vivek but just confused as on amazon it says that those triggers allow for TTL but he is saying they don't. So are they wrong in their description?*** just checked again and I guess I misunderstood the description as it does say it allows it for a camera mounted flash. Question, so in my discombobulated post a couple up, if I were to buy a 58 and use it off camera, the 20 could trigger it and allow me TTL off camera with the 58?
I've been using the Phottix Stratos-II units for some time now. Sony mount, and Nikon mount for my Leica.

To clarify the TTL ability ... it is called "Pass through TTL" ... meaning a TTL flash in the Stratos transmitter (mounted in the camera's hot-shoe) passes through the TTL data to and from the speed-light/camera.

However, the remote receiver connected to an off-camera light doesn't receive any TTL data.

I have an appointment right now, but will come back and elaborate on my experiences, pro and con, and post some results.

Be back soon ...

Marc

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Sorry - have been offline for a few days, so unable to respond to the questions.

Vivek and Marc have pretty much covered everything here.

The reason I went with the Phottix is for the 2.8Ghz range/reliability over cheaper options, and the fact that they have built-in hotshoe mounts, making them very well suited for use with speedlight style flashes.

I believe that Phottix makes a higher end model (Odin) which will support TTL through the receivers. However, it's currently only available for Canon, and not yet for Sony.

I

iggross

Hi all,

I read Vivek's post about using the nex7 with the Phottix Stratos II, with a Fm20 flash in TTL mode on the top of the transmitter, and a remote Sony flash in manual mode on the Sony-type receiver.
Does anyone know if a second Stratos II receiver for Nikon, fitted with my SB-700, could be used at the same time, again in manual mode, as the two Sony units?