The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flash Considerations for Nex7

Paul2660

After shooting the camera now for about a week, I have really only one surprise (mainly due to the great info that has been provided in other posts on this forum). The flash and red eye.

So far in outdoor work, the flash has done a good job in providing a decent amount of fill flash in some macro work. However tonight I started to work on some people shots and was amazed at how bad the red eye was.

I understand it's not supposed to be a high end unit, but it really seems lacking to me. My main issue is that no matter what settings I use I find that red eye is terrible. It's as bad as shooting a 550EX on a canon straight on!. Even with the red eye reduction on (which is pretty much a total distraction with it's 3 pre flashes) I am still getting harsh red eye.

Sure it's correctable in post with LR, but after shooting a S95 and G9 for years I was just surprised to see red as bad as this.

I have tried all the possible combinations I can think of but still can't shoot without it. I am using the 18-55, 18-200 and Sony 16-80. As the flash is almost directly over the lens, I am not sure anything will work, but wanted to ask for opinions, before I go for a HVL-F43AM to use with a flash bracket.

Overall so far loving this camera and was really surprised to find the flash giving such a problem with an age old issue.

Thanks
Paul

Rich M

Vivek has tried the Sony HVL-F20AM compact flash with a external diffuser (purchased on eBay). Perhaps he'll chime in on this.
I use an older (but still available) Metz 28-CS2. It is a tiny slave flash one can hold in the palm of their hand. It is triggered off of the camera onboard flash (usually set to -2), so no red eye.

Paratom

HVL-F20AM can be bounced and is more far away from the lens.
I dont shoot much flash so even I won that thing I can not report much.

bcm

I've been really happy with my F20AM.

I agree the onboard flash is pretty crappy, but I never really expected anything else.

This shot was bounced off a 3m ceiling mounted on camera.

V

Vivek

I agree with all the others (and thanks Rich :) )- the best choice is the HVL-F20AM (with or without the diffuser). When the subjects are within the range (of the flash), it is just very good.

I will be getting the Phottix Strato TTL radio trigger/receivers soon and will be adding more flashes to use off camera.

The ADI-TTL is new to me (coming from i-TTL of Nikon) and thusfar, it has been impressive. :)

bcm

Has anyone tried the HVL-20AM with the larger Sony flashes as a trigger? What sort of control do you get over the off camera flash?

Paul2660

Thanks to all, I will be ordering the 20AM. I didn't want to go with the larger flashes as I was worried about overall balance. Still may get a 43 later on.

Paul

mawz

Remember the 20AM can command the larger flashes (It was introduced as the commander for the A900), there's little reason to use the 43 or 58 on-camera with the 7.

mawz

Has anyone tried the HVL-20AM with the larger Sony flashes as a trigger? What sort of control do you get over the off camera flash?
TTL, limited ability to balance two groups. Pretty much comparable to E-TTL2 with the ST-E2 and a little primitive compared to CLS but functional unlike Pentax's P-TTL.

Paul2660

Thanks to all :clap:

I received my 20 and it's a perfect compliment to the Nex7. Very nice fit and I like the way it folds down (to turn it off).

Paul

mazor

Wow, BCM the flash bounce works well with that flash!

I have a nex5n, considering getting a HVL-F20S. it seems to have a same guide 20 as the 20AM but does not take any batteries, rather gets power from the camera through Sony's propitiatory connector. It too has indoor and outdoor modes for bounce, so wonder if the two flash units are comparable in power and able to get image quality like you are getting.

maz

Bigkidneys

Haven't really jumped into flash yet but want something I can use off camera TTL for my 7. I need to read the manual but do I assume correctly that the onboard flash can trigger a larger flash off camera for TTL? New to everything and rather going manual, would like something rather easy to use with a soft box outside. Any help would be greatly appreciated and cheaper is better for me :)

Jason

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Can the in-camera flash be used to trigger strobes? When I use the flash, it looks like it pre-flashes, but I have not tested this aspect yet with the studio strobes (because I use the GXR with its built-in flash and macro lens as my studio setup these days).

So—can the NEX 7 flash trigger strobes (or other Sony flashes)?

V

Vivek

I have the Phottix Strato II set (1 trigger + 2 receivers at the moment, might add a few later).

Works superbly with the NEX-7 and is only limited by the proper placement (this is something one has to learn by themselves) of the flashes.

Anyone who doubts the impressiveness of the NEX-7 output will change their mind once they start using creative flash lighting.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I also got the Phottix Strato II set (1 trigger, 2 receivers), and have been playing around with the HVL-F20AM (thanks Vivek for recommending this superb little flash) on top of the trigger in TTL mode, and a HVL-F58AM flash gun on each receiver (with diffusers to widen/soften the flash).

With this setup, I can accomplish about 90% of my flash needs, and then pull out some Alien Bees for the other 10% (also can be controlled by the Phottix Strato II receivers).

A couple of notes for those using the receivers with Sony flash guns (such as HVL-F58AM):

The receivers do not support TTL - they only support manual mode. So you'll need to adjust the flash power on the flash for each shot. You do get true TTL mode if you mount a compatible flash onto the trigger itself (on the camera). The HVL-F20AM is a great option for this, being small and light and supporting TTL.

The older HVL-42AM isn't a good match for this setup, as it doesn't have a true manual mode. The current HVL-43AM works fine as it has manual mode.

The hotshoe on top of each receiver connects to a sony flash flash gun using the Sony style hotshoe mount (assuming you purchased the Phottix Strato II model designed for Sony). This makes it very handy for working with the Sony flash guns, as you don't need any cables or hotshoe adapters. HOWEVER, the bottom of the receiver has a standard (non-Sony) hotshoe connector, which means you CANNOT insert the receiver into the usual Sony hotshoe stand (the small plastic platform supplied with each Sony flash gun). The solution is easy - get a few generic plastic hotshoe stands (non Sony style) for a few bucks each, and use those instead. Or you can mount the receiver directly onto a lightstand (screw thread on bottom) with the Sony flash gun mounted on top.

I'm very happy with the Phottix Strato II, and looking forward to putting this setup to use in a lot of situations.

I have the Phottix Strato II set (1 trigger + 2 receivers at the moment, might add a few later).

Works superbly with the NEX-7 and is only limited by the proper placement (this is something one has to learn by themselves) of the flashes.

Anyone who doubts the impressiveness of the NEX-7 output will change their mind once they start using creative flash lighting.
vivek what flashes are you using?

a question in general - if you have sony flashes what is the advantage of these systems?

Bigkidneys

I also got the Phottix Strato II set (1 trigger, 2 receivers), and have been playing around with the HVL-F20AM (thanks Vivek for recommending this superb little flash) on top of the trigger in TTL mode, and a HVL-F58AM flash gun on each receiver (with diffusers to widen/soften the flash).

With this setup, I can accomplish about 90% of my flash needs, and then pull out some Alien Bees for the other 10% (also can be controlled by the Phottix Strato II receivers).

A couple of notes for those using the receivers with Sony flash guns (such as HVL-F58AM):

The receivers do not support TTL - they only support manual mode. So you'll need to adjust the flash power on the flash for each shot. You do get true TTL mode if you mount a compatible flash onto the trigger itself (on the camera). The HVL-F20AM is a great option for this, being small and light and supporting TTL.

The older HVL-42AM isn't a good match for this setup, as it doesn't have a true manual mode. The current HVL-43AM works fine as it has manual mode.

The hotshoe on top of each receiver connects to a sony flash flash gun using the Sony style hotshoe mount (assuming you purchased the Phottix Strato II model designed for Sony). This makes it very handy for working with the Sony flash guns, as you don't need any cables or hotshoe adapters. HOWEVER, the bottom of the receiver has a standard (non-Sony) hotshoe connector, which means you CANNOT insert the receiver into the usual Sony hotshoe stand (the small plastic platform supplied with each Sony flash gun). The solution is easy - get a few generic plastic hotshoe stands (non Sony style) for a few bucks each, and use those instead. Or you can mount the receiver directly onto a lightstand (screw thread on bottom) with the Sony flash gun mounted on top.

I'm very happy with the Phottix Strato II, and looking forward to putting this setup to use in a lot of situations.

Mike,
I am confused on this. I thought those triggers and the 58 flashes would work for off camera TTL? If that is the case, no sense in buying triggers as if I keep my 7, I planned on using my HVL 20AM flash to trigger a 58 off camera for TTL. I was panning on buying cheaper alt flashes that support TTL but if the triggers actually don't support TTL, why bother with themanf just get some basic triggers?

Bigkidneys

Not saying it isn't Vivek but just confused as on amazon it says that those triggers allow for TTL but he is saying they don't. So are they wrong in their description?*** just checked again and I guess I misunderstood the description as it does say it allows it for a camera mounted flash. Question, so in my discombobulated post a couple up, if I were to buy a 58 and use it off camera, the 20 could trigger it and allow me TTL off camera with the 58?