The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Setting up the NEX7 for simple folk

jonoslack

HI There

Being one of the Simple Folk I thought I'd share my findings:

I've had something of an epiphany recently about shooting cameras with an EVF which actually mirrors what you're going to get (not all EVFs do it seems).

The NEX7 is famously modal and different with respect to the menus, and I thought it would be really nice not to need to use them.

Added to this, the fact that everything changes every time you switch to a different mode is, at best, confusing, at worst profoundly irritating, it makes it really hard to achieve a rhythmic way of shooting.

I think I've pretty much achieved this (with the single exception of formatting the cards in camera).

The first problem is the PASM switch, which requires a menu stop. . . this got me to thinking why one needed to change this at all.

If you simply put it on P mode, what do you actually lose? The two big dials on the top of the camera then go to Program Switch and Ev compensation. A little thought convinced me that this means that you can get pretty much any combination of right (or wrong) exposure using just these two dials - of course, you couldn't do it with an optical viewfinder as you wouldn't be able to see the effect of what you're doing.

So - I have the central custom button on the back dial custom settings to:
ISO
WB
Metering type (spot etc.)
Focus Area
Focus type.

the AE lock button I have set to toggle, and the AF/MF button to AF/MF, with focus peaking turned on. The right side of the rear dial click I've set to Focus assist.

Simple setup . . . . it seems to work fine in all situations:

Third Party lenses - you will be setting the aperture on the lens . . . but the program shift will allow you go control the shutter speed in conjunction with the Auto ISO and the EV compensation (this is problematical on shutter priority because it's too easy to over-expose by mistake).

Sony Lenses - it gives you complete flexibility with respect to AF/MF and exposure.

Suddenly ASM really doesn't seem to be necessary, and after a day or two of familiarisation you suddenly have a camera which behaves predictably. As for formatting . . well it remembers where you last were in the menu, so it's a pretty simple operation.

No More Menus

Hooray! :chug:

Comments and Criticisms are most welcome (have I missed something?)

Last edited:

Terry

I started using program mode on cameras that don't do Auto ISO well enough that you need to switch between Aperture and Shutter priority. So, I can certainly see the logic behind just leaving it in program mode.

jonoslack

I'm an 'aperture' mode kinda guy, but, I'll try it.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
HI Matt
I'm an Aperture Mode kind of a guy as well . . . it's just that in this instance it seems to work better on P mode . . . . if you are considering Aperture then it's easy to change with program shift, and if you aren't then it'll get it about right anyway. More to the point it then works the same way whether you have 3rd party lenses or Sony lenses.

all the best

JimBuchanan

If you simply put it on P mode, what do you actually lose? The two big dials on the top of the camera then go to Program Switch and Ev compensation. A little thought convinced me that this means that you can get pretty much any combination of right (or wrong) exposure using just these two dials - of course, you couldn't do it with an optical viewfinder as you wouldn't be able to see the effect of what you're doing.
Trying to duplicate your setup, in P mode, I get Ev comp on the right dial, but nothing on the left dial, with a M lens mounted. Where is the Program Switch?

kuau

Workshop Member
I am a "M" guy,
I never like auto metering anyway.
Yet what Jono advocates makes great sense if you are an "A" shooter.
I dont now if it's me, but whenever I used A mode when i move my camera around to get the composition I like I see my shutter speed jump all over the place and of course the ligh has not changed at all in the scene.
Though I will change my custom buttons to Jono's setup. Looks good to :thumbs::thumbs:

Steven

jonoslack

Trying to duplicate your setup, in P mode, I get Ev comp on the right dial, but nothing on the left dial, with a M lens mounted. Where is the Program Switch?
Anyone sort out JimBuchanan's issue just above? I get the same behaviour.

Keith
Hi Jim / Keith
sorry I think I was confusing / confused.
I do as well - natural really as the camera cannot effect the aperture, but you can then use the rear dial to change the ISO value - which has the same effect.

all the best

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Jim / Keith
sorry I think I was confusing / confused.
I do as well - natural really as the camera cannot effect the aperture, but you can then use the rear dial to change the ISO value - which has the same effect.

all the best
Thanks Jono - that works :salute:

Keith

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Jono, that's really nifty; using the rear dial to control ISO (and hence shutter speed) definitely works.

BTW, to anyone who has had the 5N with the EVF, does the NEX 7 one look as good??? For me, the NEX 7 one is harder to get in focus, for me, and the view does not look as sharp, or as big as the external EVF looked. But I have sold the 5N, so can't compare.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
The MS Perar seems extremely sharp on the '7—I will take a few snaps of the different 35s I have here, too, if anyone's interested. I find the focus aids work very well on the '7, too.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Quick Q: can focus magnification be set to a *single* button press; the way I have it set al the moment brings up the focus point (which can then be moved); pressing the centre of the main dial then engages the magnification assist.

One button to do this directly?

jonoslack

Quick Q: can focus magnification be set to a *single* button press; the way I have it set al the moment brings up the focus point (which can then be moved); pressing the centre of the main dial then engages the magnification assist.

One button to do this directly?
Hi Kit
I MF Assist set on the right click of the ISO dial on the back - I haven't really used it a lot, but it seems to work properly.

all the best

JimBuchanan

I have my AF/MF button mapped to MF Assist, and AF/MF control set to toggle, both in setup. One push goes straight to 5.9X.