The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX C-3

V

Vivek

I found a place that has an attractive price (for a silver body). So, I am tempted.

Could someone having the C3 and 5N confirm if the sensor behaves the same- ie., the rumored offset microlenses?

Thanks!

V

Vivek

It is just a rumor (the offset microlens array on the sensor) then! :rolleyes:

V

Vivek

Well, Keith, you cost me a few Euros! :D

(I know- no EVF, no flash other than the peanut flash, no electronic first curtain shutter, no IR remote.....)

V

Vivek

It seems a new NEX, a replacement for the C3 will be announced soon. Hence the price drop.

V

Vivek

Keith, Thanks a bunch again! My CV15/4.5 just shines on it! :thumbs:

mazor

nice pics vivek, now the big question is the sensor on the Nex c3 the same as the 5n??

Think Sony says it is a more advanced sensor in the 5n, with the tiny different in pixel resolution.

But it would make sense to use the same sensor in both and just have a better processing engine on the 5n to cope with higher res video and lower noise higher detail JPGs, or possibly a weaker AA filter in the 5n?

Looks like both the 5n and the c3 do not suffer as much from color casting which leads me to believe that they may be the same sensor....

V

Vivek

Mazor,

I think the first time I read about the sameness (ie., offset microlenses) was from a post by Amin.

Please check Keith's reply above. He went to the trouble of going through all of his C-V 12 + C3 shots and confirmed it again in a PM. Very, very kind of him.

The 5N ought to be better because of the EVF possibility, electronic first curtain shutter and most likely a better processor (video output is better on the 5N as well), etc, etc.

The Schneider 30/3.5 (Robot lens) I have troubles the 7 with magenta corners. No worries on the C3.

There are a few more tiny (not fast, obviously) lenses that I have to check out on the C3.

Even with the C-V 15/4.5, I could stash the camera inside my jacket in one pocket to shield it from the rain. Quite neat.

..and for whatever reason, this camera has made me forget the NEX-5 experience. :)

PS: My new C3 (with all the accessories/box + 2 year warranty) cost much less than the 5N's EVF!

V

Vivek

NEX-C3 and W-Nikkor-C 2.5cm f/4 is a delight to use.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

I was considering the Ricoh GR A12 M mount cam for this lens alone. It is a tiny LTM lens. Weighs just 120g. With a restricted aperture, it is superb even wide open.

For the first time, a NEX, the cheapest possible one, makes it come alive again.

Thanks again, Keith! :)

V

Vivek

I got the cold shoe. A Voigtlander 25mm view finder appears to make great match with the Cosina Voigtlander 15mm lens! :thumbs:

mazor

Vivek using the CV 15mm with OVF, how accurate is your distance scale for focusing on closer portrait type shots?

For me, I think my knockoff helicoid LM-NEX adapter may not be as well made as some dedicated adapters, so my best infinite point is when focus is set to 2m. Basically distances like 1m on the focus dial in reality for me is 2m, but anything below 1m on the focus dial is spot on accurate, so 0.5m on the focus dial is indeed 0.5m in real focusing. Strange eh, non linear focusing.

May save up for this hotshoe adapter with flash trigger when it comes out.

"SHADOW" NEX hotshoe adapter | NEX PROSHOP

It may be a bit larger than the cold shoe adapter but at least I do not have to carry a screwdriver to swap between EVF, button flash, etc. Also the added bonus to be able to mount my Canon 580 EX, hehe.

mazor

Also Vivek, with respect to angular microlens, I have heard a rumour that the nex 5n/c3 sensor actually has shallow depth pixel cells or something, hence that could be the reason for less color casting. The nex7 has deeper more recessed photosites in its cmos sensor, hence more color casting when light hits the sensor on an angle.

V

Vivek

Mazor, It seems OK. I am yet to try it outside (tomorrow, hopefully).

Have you considered getting thin shims to adjust the infinity focus (assuming you have the LTM version of the C-V lens)? Like this one, for example:
eBay: Neue und gebrauchte Elektronikartikel, Autos, Kleidung, Sammlerst

Yeah, I posted on that "hotshoe" in a separate thread. I am waiting for them to release it and also waiting to get the NEX-F3 specs confirmed (acc. port only for EVF and mic, it appears).

V

Vivek

Also Vivek, with respect to angular microlens, I have heard a rumour that the nex 5n/c3 sensor actually has shallow depth pixel cells or something, hence that could be the reason for less color casting. The nex7 has deeper more recessed photosites in its cmos sensor, hence more color casting when light hits the sensor on an angle.
That could be the reason. Someone speculated (forgot where) that it is the same 16MP sensor but with a new Fuji color matrix that makes the Fuji X-Pro-1's sensor.

If it is not the offset microlenses, it makes it even more interesting for me! :)

mazor

Mazor, It seems OK. I am yet to try it outside (tomorrow, hopefully).

Have you considered getting thin shims to adjust the infinity focus (assuming you have the LTM version of the C-V lens)? Like this one, for example:
eBay: Neue und gebrauchte Elektronikartikel, Autos, Kleidung, Sammlerst

Yeah, I posted on that "hotshoe" in a separate thread. I am waiting for them to release it and also waiting to get the NEX-F3 specs confirmed (acc. port only for EVF and mic, it appears).
Hmm, not sure what version of the lens I have, but I do know its the newer one, ie the one than can attach filters, and its Leica M mount. With the helicoid M to nex adapter I am able to correct infinite position of the lens, but temporarily, as the helicoid is designed to be built in variable macro tube. I have measures with helicoid adapter fully extended I get 1/4 life size macro shots!!! Note bad for a 15mm wide angle eh?