Site Sponsors

Thread: NEX7 & 50 f1.8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

NEX7 & 50 f1.8

Hi There
    I bought the sigma 30 from digital rev . . . . and at the last minute I popped the 50 f1.8 into the basket. I rather regretted it, but never got around to cancelling it.

Lenses arrived yesterday after their typical quick service - the sigma looks like just what I wanted for a small lens, IQ looks perfectly decent, and I'm glad that everybody else has a 'loose bit inside'!

The 50 f1.8 is quite a different thing . . . I was disappointed that it was a little large - and very silver. Still, good build quality, fast focusing (and quite close) . . . . then I remembered that 75mm is actually my favourite focal length on the Leica. Anyway, this lens is fantastic - lovely feel to the images, decent bokeh, quick fast focusing. excellent!

1600 ISO f2.2 1/125

1600 ISO f1.8 1/250

1600 ISO f2.8 1/80

100 ISO f2 1/640

1600 ISO f1.8 1/125

100 ISO f5.6 1/40

if 75mm turns you on I can't recommend this lens enough on the NEX7 - excellent.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEX7 & 50 f1.8

I'm also a big fan of the 75mm on a 35mm rangefinder so the Sony 50 has great appeal to me. Hopefully by the time my wallet recovers from buying the NEX-7 and Sigma 30/2.8 Sony will have gotten around to offering the 50 in black finish. Meanwhile I'll have to get by with my Zuiko 50/1.8 on an adapter.

The Sony 50 certainly appears to be a decent lens!
    ---
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Jono

I have enjoyed you postings and images. I am curious about your relationship with your NEX 7. I believe I recall you were unhappy with it and sent it back at one time but obviously this has changed. Would you share your feelings about this?

Thanks

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the shots, love the road B&W. I have ordered the 50mm 1.8 based on Uwe's comments on a different post. Your shots confirm it's a great lens.

Hard to find right now however.

Paul

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Jono

I have enjoyed you postings and images. I am curious about your relationship with your NEX 7. I believe I recall you were unhappy with it and sent it back at one time but obviously this has changed. Would you share your feelings about this?

Thanks

Joe
    Hi There Joe
    I sold it . . . .just after getting back from a skiing trip at the end of January - basically it was in a fit of pique that you could't easily see the EVF at 3000metres in snow and sunshine. . . .

Then I thought I'd buy an OMD . . . . then I compared the IQ of the OMD and the NEX7 and realised that was a foolish move.

Fortunately I hadn't got around to selling the NEX lenses, so I bought another body. I'm really pleased I did - it's a nicely made, fun and versatile camera . . as soon as you work out how to limit the need to access the menus.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Thanks for the shots, love the road B&W. I have ordered the 50mm 1.8 based on Uwe's comments on a different post. Your shots confirm it's a great lens.

Hard to find right now however.

Paul
    Hi Paul
    I got mine from DigitalRev in Hong Kong - their service is pretty good, and delivery time is almost unbelievably quick.

I hope this helps
    all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I'm also a big fan of the 75mm on a 35mm rangefinder so the Sony 50 has great appeal to me. Hopefully by the time my wallet recovers from buying the NEX-7 and Sigma 30/2.8 Sony will have gotten around to offering the 50 in black finish. Meanwhile I'll have to get by with my Zuiko 50/1.8 on an adapter.

The Sony 50 certainly appears to be a decent lens!
    Hi Ken
    I'd have liked a black one as well . . . but I guess the silver one works as well . . .and makes it easier to distinguish from my black kit lens, and my black Zeiss 24 f1.8.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I missed this when you posted. Of all the NEX lenses, the 50 is not one you want to skip over.

I actually think my kit is almost done. Just need something really wide and maybe a macro longer than 30.

Zooms kit + 18-200
    Primes 16, 24, 30, 50

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I missed this when you posted. Of all the NEX lenses, the 50 is not one you want to skip over.

I actually think my kit is almost done. Just need something really wide and maybe a macro longer than 30.

Zooms kit + 18-200
    Primes 16, 24, 30, 50
    Hi Terry
    yes, indeed - I don't have the 16 anymore, but otherwise my kit is identical to yours. If I need wide I have the WATE, which works well on the NEX7.

As you say, the 50 is splendid!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There Joe
    I sold it . . . .just after getting back from a skiing trip at the end of January - basically it was in a fit of pique that you could't easily see the EVF at 3000metres in snow and sunshine. . . .

Then I thought I'd buy an OMD . . . . then I compared the IQ of the OMD and the NEX7 and realised that was a foolish move.

Fortunately I hadn't got around to selling the NEX lenses, so I bought another body. I'm really pleased I did - it's a nicely made, fun and versatile camera . . as soon as you work out how to limit the need to access the menus.

all the best

Thanks. Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For really wide, has anyone tried the Sony Alpha 11-18mm? It would give you a true 16.5mm on the Nex7. It's not a cheap lens at 798.00 might be a good wide solution with either of the Sony Nex E to Alpha adapters.

Paul