The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Would like a 3c/5N sensor in a NEX-7 type camera

V

Vivek

I know that the 5N users have said this a million times. I am quite late to this with a newly "discovered" NEX-C3.

It would make a fantastic camera!

alphaman

I quite agree.

I suppose that it all depends on if Sony think it worth bringing out such a camera. In the current situation where there are scant Sony lenses available, it makes sense to us at least.

I'd quite like it if it were to be full-frame as well, particularly as this would make full use of the lovely optics made for Contax or Leica.

I'd also dump the video function (personal preference).

hot

I do not wish (Sony doesn't fullfill such wishes) - I am VERY satisfied with my NEX5 & NEX7. I also do not cry for firmware updates.

Hehe, NEX7 didn't get a viewer by firmware update :)

V

Vivek

Hehe, NEX7 didn't get a viewer by firmware update :)
If you try the C3 (199 Euros body only) or 5N you will also change your mind. Your $32 lens is likely to do even better on it than the 5. ;)

Yeah, wishing for a new hardware and not an update.

m_driscoll

I have both the 5N and the Nex 7. I would like a 5N2 with the same sensor as the 5N with the integrated EVF of the 7. I'd, also, like a 7N with the ISO performance of the current 5N (7N2?) And...I'd like a full frame 8N with the Sony sensor in the D800. Sony, make it so!

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

mazor

I have the 5n and love the ability to articulate the EVF vertically. What I would ideally like is a Nex7 for its nice button setup, but have ability to have a hot shoe EVF.

As for sensor, yes the 5n is a nice sensor, and works better with legacy lens, but the 7 sensor has just that much more resolution. What we need is a 7 sensor that has more angular microlens or similar to match performance with 5n sensor with legacy lens. It also should have a dedicated pixel combining processor which could ideally make 16MP RAW files from the 24MP sensor for low light situations and full 24MP for standard lighting.

What do u think of this?

Mazor

V

Vivek

Pixel binning would be nice. I am looking forward to the 41MP Nokia Pureview, that will be my first "smart phone".

Despite the resolution, the noise in NEX-7 files even at ISO100 is a bit too much.

It is not an overstatement when I say that the NEX-7 (and a whole set of new E primes) aren't getting much use since the purchase of the little plastic NEX-C3. It does not even look cute now as I have covered it up with all sorts of things. What it delivers is lovely!

scho

I would also like a 5N sensor (16 mp is plenty) in a 7 body and also it should have NO video capability. Stills only please.

V

Vivek

Carl, I used to think that video was a nuisance. However, it does have its advantages for still photography.

1. Better live view (high refresh rates).

2. Better hardware. The sensors get a better heatsink for video.

I don't use the video in the NEX' but do not mind it as long as the video button is out of the way and is not prone to accidental activations.

I agree that 16MP is plenty.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Seems that Sony will announce a new 3F (C3 successor) in mid-May. Will be interesting to see the specs.

douglasf13

16mp isn't really that much, even if you only print at moderate 13x19 size. In fact, 24mp is a nice sweet spot for that print size, being around 300 ppi. The NEX-7 isn't any noisier than the 16mp sensor, if you output them to the same size and compare. How big do you guy's print?

I doubt we'll even see many more cameras with the 16mp sensor at all, as it is moving down the line. Even Nikon's new cheapie DSLR has a 24mp sensor. I think that Sony improving edge performance of the 24mp sensor would be more desirable than going backwards to the C3/5N's sensor, personally. Either way, I'd imagine that the NEX-7 level camera will be on a longer refresh cycle than the lower models, so we probably won't see an update to it for at least a couple of years.

mazor

agree Douglasf13, but it would be nice if there was a built in selectable Low noise RAW output for the Nex 7 whereby it can pixel bin and essentially get the low noise characteristics of the 5n and c3 without having to post process every image individually.

I am sure people have printed nice 13x19 from 4MP images in the past and have had good results. Guess though with 300dpi printing of images, one will have to view prints with magnifying glass to truely appreciate 24MP prints

douglasf13

agree Douglasf13, but it would be nice if there was a built in selectable Low noise RAW output for the Nex 7 whereby it can pixel bin and essentially get the low noise characteristics of the 5n and c3 without having to post process every image individually.

I am sure people have printed nice 13x19 from 4MP images in the past and have had good results. Guess though with 300dpi printing of images, one will have to view prints with magnifying glass to truely appreciate 24MP prints
I don't understand the point of needing raw pixel binning. Either you shoot jpegs, in which you have selectable image sizes, or, you shoot raw, in which you output from the raw converter at any size that you wish, which equalizes the noise performance of sensors with various pixel numbers.

300ppi is generally considered minimum "photo quality," although I agree that different people have different expectations. While subtle, there is a difference between my 16mp and 24mp 13x19 prints.

Ultimately, assuming the same sensor technology, the only negative about more megapixels is data throughput speed and storage space. Of course, in the case of the NEX-7, there are apparently some edge performance issues, which could be solved.

Michiel Schierbeek

I have both the 5N and the Nex 7. I would like a 5N2 with the same sensor as the 5N with the integrated EVF of the 7. I'd, also, like a 7N with the ISO performance of the current 5N (7N2?) And...I'd like a full frame 8N with the Sony sensor in the D800. Sony, make it so!

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
Agreed!
That's the way to go; full frame, small body, EVF and as many MP's possible/needs to get along with all the good (M) lenses and a well corrected/functioning corner performance included.

It is very easy to sum up what one wants but when and how can it be realized. Sony is on it's way, I believe.

Michiel

mazor

Going full frame small body would indeed be nice, although looking at the current E-mount, it would need to be enlarged a bit to accommodate the 35mm sensor. The idea of small body and large FF lens may be not be very proportionate. Already the 5n with Emount lens for some is not as desirable as lens is still quite large compared to body. Micro 4/3 addresses this well.

V

Vivek

Seems that Sony will announce a new 3F (C3 successor) in mid-May. Will be interesting to see the specs.
I am looking forward to this as well. :)

(BTW, the Leica nuts are incorrigible, it seems. :ROTFL: The title says 3c and you say 3F.)

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
It's a little bigger than I hoped/expected, but it has a few nice surprises, such as the flex-flash (looks like the same as NEX-7) and the 180-flip LCD. Overall, looks like a nice package - maybe a better overall package than the 5N now.