The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hawk's NEX–M adapter suggestion

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
This is a wonderful, used-every-day addition to the NEX users of M-mount lenses—but it needs a detent (click stop) at the standard (non close-up end) position.

This would turn a great bit of kit into a supreme one. I find that while walking around, I tend to bump the Hawk's adapter off the standard position (which I reset it to after using) which can waste valuable time, especially in the portrait orientation.

Apart from that, it lives on the NEX-7. What do others think?

mazor

agreed maybe while hes at it why not add some tilt axis onto the adapter! my helicoid adapter seems to have enough damping to not move too easily.

Shac

Good idea Kit - I really like mine but your addition would be welcome. Not so sure about the title feature unless that was a separate adapter

mazor

think he meant "tilt" feature, like the ones found in some adapters than can add tilt or shift to a lens ;)

d.clin.design

Agreed. Actually a simple lock and push release at either extreme would be good enough. I also notice tend to twist the adaptor all the time.

JimBuchanan

Without trying it, I am not sure I see an advantage to it, and it could introduce tolerances that would affect the hard stop infinity setting of a lens. I can see the desire to reduce the minimum focus distance of a lens, but catering to camera rangefinders aside, lenses are usually designed for a particular minimum focus distance.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Jim, there have been many posts on this; the rendering is wonderful, and every lens I have used with it is thereby able to focus much closer than normal, and infinity works on all of them, too. It's a really well-made device. I use mine daily, but I like a close view of things, too.

Shac

+1 - the Hawk's works just fine including infinity with every Leica/CV lens' I have (15, 25, 34 'cron V1 V 45, 0 lx, 50 'cron DR & V4, 90 elmarit M, 90 AA)
Kit - your idea of the detent sounds a good one IMO

V

Vivek

This is a wonderful, used-every-day addition to the NEX users of M-mount lenses—but it needs a detent (click stop) at the standard (non close-up end) position.

This would turn a great bit of kit into a supreme one. I find that while walking around, I tend to bump the Hawk's adapter off the standard position (which I reset it to after using) which can waste valuable time, especially in the portrait orientation.

I have Hawk's helicoids (fabulously made I might add) but not this one. In addition to the click stops, I would like a closed helicoid.

Just last sunday I was shooting a few snaps in the local dunes. The NEX-C3 + LTM adapter + a thin extension +the CV 15 lens fell down on the sand with a soft thud. Just blew off the dry sand and it was back to business.

Can not expect that with this adapter.

mazor

vivek, think though with any lens, falling into sand will not be good for it. This would be especially so if you dropped the rear end of the 15mm into the sand without a rear cap. The helicoid of the main focus mech for the cv 15mm is exposed, just as much as the lm-nex helicoid is.

I get what you mean though when the lm-nex helicoid is fully extended in macro position, there is a possibility that dust or sand could migrate into the helicoid mech even when lens mounted.

JimBuchanan

Jim, there have been many posts on this; It's a really well-made device. I use mine daily, but I like a close view of things, too.
I will definitely vouch for the Hawk's factory quality. I have a NEX mount helicoid with 7mm travel, made by Hawk. It is very well made and very smooth. I am currently trying to mount a Russian Jupiter Sonnar 50/1.5 into it.

The 7mm travel is way more than the Sonnar needs, so I might get a little closer action as well.