The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Working with NEX-7 video

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Thought it might be good to have a thread discussing how to work with NEX video footage.

I'll start it off with my newbie questions... I would like some help/advice on how to work with some video footage that I've shot with my NEX-7.

I shot using the AVCHD in 60p 28M (PS) mode. Now I'm trying to figure out how to download the video footage to my PC (Windows 7 64-bit) in a usable way.

A few specific questions:

What's the best way to download the video (which sits on the camera as a set of files in a folder) to my PC so that everything stays intact? LR4 only recognizes the .MTS file - is that all I need?

What is a reasonably priced video editing software that will allow me to work on these files to do fairly basic edits (trim/clip/fade, music overlay, etc). I don't need anything really fancy, but need something that can work with this AVCHD 60p video footage.

If I want to post the footage online using something like Vimeo, what do I need to do to convert the video footage to appropriate format? I'd like to post HD video, but not sure how all the format conversions work.

Thanks in advance for any tips on these questions.

hot

Take card out of your camera, insert it into $1-cardreader and move files/pictures to pc. That's all.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Hot - I can figure that part out :)

But that doesn't really answer any of my questions above.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Mike,

A huge amount of stuff is available in the Vimeo faqs.

Reasonable and good editing? On MAC iMovie FCP but on PC I am unsure.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro which is available for both PC and MAC...convert AVCHD to MOV h2.64-> upload to Vimeo as HD.

NEX 7 has a good file...worth the effort.

Bob

Last edited:

mazor

also for video capture i have read from forums thats the nex cameras respond well with picture profile "portrait" which de contrasts the video in favour of better shadow detail. Supposibly with this profile further reducing sharpness -3 and contrast will make the video real flat and ideal for post process editing.

"sunset picture profile" with a custom white balance and yet again -3 contast and sharpness can give very smooth tones grades.

for general video recording on nex best set camera to "m" manaul and set a fixed shutter speed, some say ideally double frame rate of fps, so in 60fps, set shutter to 120fps maybe to get smooth video and no jitter effects from out of multiplier fps downscaling.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks for all the info and tips.

Here's a relatively inexpensive workflow that I figured out for the NEX-7 on PC/Windows and Vimeo...

1. Shoot video in AVCHD 60p 28M (highest quality setting) in case I want to show it in full 1080/60p in the future

2. Use Adobe Elements Premiere 10 (latest version) for video editing. Not as sophisticated as Premiere Pro, but sufficient for my needs.

3. Save as mp4 (H.264) with "Vimeo HD" settings - 720/30p. This made a 10 minute video into a 617MB file. If I saved as full 1080/30p (highest quality export supported by Premiere Elements), the file size becomes 2.5GB, which is just too big, so 720/30p is what I'll use for Vimeo.