The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony NEX adapters for Sony A mount lenses

tom in mpls

Hello all! I've been absent from the forums for a while. But a true gear whore can't stay away forever.

I'm intrigued by the new NEX7. I gave up on the first generation; I must have a viewfinder. This model looks great. I'm about to dive in. I have the A55 with some lenses, and would like to be able to try them on the NEX7.

There are 2 adapters available, the LA-EA1 and LA-EA2. I would like to hear the experience of others to see if the 2 is worth twice the price and twice the weight.

On a related topic, I have a Minolta 50/1.7. Is there any advantage to the E 50/1.8 vs. this lens with adapter?

jaree

If you don't care about AF, LA-EA1 should suffice. I have the LA-EA2 as it is nice to be able to use AF when needed.

As for 50/1.7, I used it briefly on the Nex-7. This lens was stellar on my A850. On the Nex-7 with LA-EA2, I was underwhelmed. I gave it up after using it two times.

For some reason, a lot of Alpha lenses while great on various alpha cameras do not really shine on the Nex-7. Minolta 28-135 is less than satisfactory on my Nex-7. Zeiss ZA 24mm and Minolta 16mm fisheye on the other hand are performing very well.

The Nex-7 kit lens is no slouch - despite the negative reviews, in my real world usage it has delivered quite good results.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I use the LA-EA2 to shoot sports with my Sony alpha lenses on the NEX-7. The phase-detect system is built into the adapter, and works very well.

mazor

Nice link, that person seems to be biased to LA-E1 purely as it is a smaller adapter, plus it is expensive. So expensive that you could probably afford another body that has a dedicated alpha mount.

But one has to consider the light lost due to translucent mirror. Some say its fine, some say otherwise. Combined with the higher noise at higher ISOs on the Nex7, it would be advisable to get as much light into the camera as possible, and with the LA-e2 one about half a stop of light through the translucent mirror for AF.

Also I heard for recording video, the LA-e1 would be better although limited AF, is able to control the iris during video recording, while you manual focus. LA-e2 requires the iris to be at maximum apeture during focusing.

Last edited:

Paul2660

You won't notice the weight between the two, at least I didn't.

With the EA1, if the Sony lens have the AF motor in the lens ( like the Sony 16-50), you still get AF, not phase detect, but very decent AF. However if you use the Sony 16-80, which relies on the Screw motor in the Alpha body, you get no AF. I tried the EA1 for a about 2 weeks, and switched over to the EA2.

I was a bit worried about the reports of the light loss issue due to the mirror, but so far not a real issue. Plus unlike my Canon's the noise on the Nex7 seems more like film grain and much easier to work with, not as much the harsh color noise and banding I get with the 5D MKII.

As already mentioned, if you are doing video, the EA2 is the way to go. I guess you could use the EA1, but focus would be a bit tough IMO.

Paul

alphaman

I have the EA2 which despite looking a little bulky actually fits into the hand very well. I've used it with my CZ 135/1.8 and Sony 50/1.4 for theater photography with excellent results.

I don't think it will make sense to use this adapter and only A mount lenses as this will (i.m.o.) make the NEX7 too bulky, then there is no advantage over something like an A55.

Where I see it as being advantageous is to supplement the NEX7's choice of lenses, and so in that case (and in answer to part of your question) I'd suggest using the E50/1.8 rather than the A50/1.7 unless you would only use it rarely.

tom in mpls

You won't notice the weight between the two, at least I didn't.

With the EA1, if the Sony lens have the AF motor in the lens ( like the Sony 16-50), you still get AF, not phase detect, but very decent AF. However if you use the Sony 16-80, which relies on the Screw motor in the Alpha body, you get no AF. I tried the EA1 for a about 2 weeks, and switched over to the EA2.
Aha. Thanks. I had posted this because I had another question, but realized that it had already been answered in your post. I do wish delete was an option, but instead I have edited it. Thus my pointless rambling.

wjlapier

I use the LA-EA2 to shoot sports with my Sony alpha lenses on the NEX-7. The phase-detect system is built into the adapter, and works very well.
I'd be interested to know what sports you shoot and with what lens(es). I shoot mostly the sports my kids are in and occasionally some HS softball. I use nikon D700 and 200/2 AFS with 1.4 and 2.0 TC's when I need more reach. I have the NEX7 but haven't used much yet.

Mark K

I have version one...very small one and permanently attaching to a 50/1.7. For manual focusing, 50/1.7 is an amazingly sharp lens.... If you have a large collection of alpha mount lenses the version 2 is better.