The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 30mm is for the birds

Sorry, it was too easy... shot on the 3. Mobile Me hosting is not doing these files justice - wicked sharp!

Best $400 point and shoot ever.

For now, the Zeiss stays on the 7 and the Sigma on the 3. Just got it yesterday so I need to spend more time with it. '

The only issue I have with it so far is the wake (or switch from playback to live view) time on the 3. It takes about, wait for it... 3 seconds. Too slow. The Zeiss responds much quicker.

On the 7, the Sigma speeds up its act for the most part.

mazor

nice birds!!! they must have let you get up close to capture those with 30mm.

So what you are saying about the 30mm causing slow wake ups seems to be an issue on the Nex 3 but not the nex 7?

HeavyDuty

I've noticed my NEX-7 takes longer to wake with the Sigma than with the kit zoom. After corresponding with Sigma I think it's due to the type of AF motor Sigma uses needing longer to power up.

I also just heard of a great workaround for using the Sigma so it never sleeps (forces you to turn the power off instead.) Apparently the camera never sleeps when Remote Commander mode is activated. I'm not a big fan of devices that sleep automatically, I want the control even if it adversely affects battery life.

nice birds!!! they must have let you get up close to capture those with 30mm.

So what you are saying about the 30mm causing slow wake ups seems to be an issue on the Nex 3 but not the nex 7?
Yes, specifically when switching from playback of an image to live view (ready to take a new photo). It is almost instantaneous on the 7, takes a while on the 3.

I also just heard of a great workaround for using the Sigma so it never sleeps (forces you to turn the power off instead.) Apparently the camera never sleeps when Remote Commander mode is activated. I'm not a big fan of devices that sleep automatically, I want the control even if it adversely affects battery life.
I'll give it a try on the 7 but don't think that helps on the 3 when I don't have the accessory flash attached (can't turn on Remote Commander).

douglasf13

For now, the Zeiss stays on the 7 and the Sigma on the 3. Just got it yesterday so I need to spend more time with it. '

The only issue I have with it so far is the wake (or switch from playback to live view) time on the 3. It takes about, wait for it... 3 seconds. Too slow. The Zeiss responds much quicker.

On the 7, the Sigma speeds up its act for the most part.
Yeah, I ended up selling my Zeiss 24 the other day. Great lens, but I prefer the focal length and size of the Sigma. The slow startup time does annoy me a bit, though. I hope the upcoming fast, standard prime from Sony isn't large, because that may be my best option.

Douglas - have you noticed that the Sigma renders greens exceptionally well? I'm running similar edits on both the Sigma and Zeiss shots and the greens I'm getting on the Sigma are brilliant.

It may just be the 3 sensor compared to the 7 - I need to shoot the Zeiss on the 3 to be sure but was curious if you had an opinion.

douglasf13

Hi. I'm not sure about the greens. I tend to think greens are generally way too "neon" in digital, so I tone them down and use film presets. I'd have to do a strict side by side comparison.